autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW X5 Help with Window Trim

I tackled this X5 with 65/k this week. Got through the SUV ok, but ran into a major problem with the painted window trim. There are some very deep, nasty stains (chemical? acid rain?) that I can't get 100% out.

I clayed the X5 because it was loaded with contaminants. Then sanded scratched areas and compounded the vehicle. By the way, Optimum Compound is fast becoming my favorite...it doesn't throw dust everywhere and works great.

Anyway, I compounded the window trim and "some" of the stains came out. The best product so far was Klasse AIO and that brought back most of the paint on the window trim...but not all.

Suggestions?

Pic of trim

X5 Compounded with Rotary and Festool (in tight areas) + AIO

Interior shot: came out nice for a 65/k vehicle that was a smoker's ride

I'd welcome suggestions on the window trim. I'm trying to finish this tonight.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister has something similar on hers as well, I'm not sure what caused it, but like you said AIO helped a little bit, it's still there though.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    That trim looks like the side mirrors on the Expedition that Sparkie just detailed. I think he used Duragloss 101. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ead.php?t=2754

Post Thanks / Like
    The Expedition was black plastic, and that's paint. Don't know what to tell you. I believe DG#101 has more cutting power, it took out some light swirls in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Russecu
    That trim looks like the side mirrors on the Expedition that Sparkie just detailed. I think he used Duragloss 101. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ead.php?t=2754
    As said above it's a painted/cleared pillar, my trucks' pillars are fine (some swirls in it) but my sisters has stains kinda like what that X5 has and we're not sure where it came from. Best way to describe it is looks like the paint on the pillar is bruised (i.e. when you bruise yourself etc).
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    As said above it's a painted/cleared pillar, my trucks' pillars are fine (some swirls in it) but my sisters has stains kinda like what that X5 has and we're not sure where it came from. Best way to describe it is looks like the paint on the pillar is bruised (i.e. when you bruise yourself etc).
    Surfer: thanks for the info. If you enlarge the pic when looking at My Gallery, you can see an up-close shot of the staining. It's on all the black window trim that's painted. While the shop owner said it's ok, I'm just trying to totally correct this project.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    do like they did to my wifes when faded prematurely (Supercharged Regal) tape off the area and repaint. Quite easy, dried quickly, and looked better than new.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    Surfer: thanks for the info. If you enlarge the pic when looking at My Gallery, you can see an up-close shot of the staining. It's on all the black window trim that's painted. While the shop owner said it's ok, I'm just trying to totally correct this project.

Toto
    Must be an SUV thing, I see a lot of trucks with Pillars that have that stain looking mark on them. So Killr it's b/c of the paint fading? I know I've seen trucks that were a year or two old with that mark o nthe pillar. AIO worked on my sisters, you can see it faintly, but not as pronounced as it was before. For some reason my black pillars are fine , just some minor swirls in them.
    The real WyStang: