autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Show N' Shine

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Chevy Avalanche - Wash, Wax and Plastic Restore

Worked on this Avalanche this weekend. Just needed a basic wash, wax and interior clean. The kicker was the black plastic exterior pieces. Avalanches are common for having all the black plastic panels fade severly after a few years. While they are under warrenty Chevrolet offers a product that you apply every 3 months that prolongs the fading but never really worked.

I have a product that is oil based that is meant to be put on in a semi thick coat and left to soak into the plastics. Pending on how bad the plastic is...it could take upwards of 3-4 coats to get a good original black look. But this can take a few days to let each coat dry in completely. Since the weather was not great this weekend this thing only got two coats, since its preferred to be done on really sunny and hot days so the stuff can bake into the plastic to speed up the drying time.

Process:
TBW w/ P21 Body Shampoo and Adams Car Wash Mixed
Sealed w/ BFWD
Interior Panels Cleaned and Treated w/ 1z
Windows w/ Stoners w/ Rain-x
Plastics w/ Restore Refinish

Before:

Interior Before/After:

Exterior After:

Rear Plastic Panels:

*Before*

Mike - Mirror Detailing - Powder Springs, GA
R.I.P. Matt Eddy(SouthrnStyle) 11/26/2010
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #2

Re: Chevy Avalanche - Wash, Wax and Plastic Restore

I love the conditioned trim. I HATE to see cars with "grey" plastic trim. I like mine a bit glossy as well.

Good job.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #3

Nice work! That color combo really compliment each other.

When sniffing around for a long-lasting trim dressing I found myself on an Avalanche Forum where they appeared to have tried everything on all that plastic. Some reported extremely good results by using Future floor wax on the trim. I know for a fact on airplane applications the stuff is poison on critical rubber applications. I haven't seen any adverse reports on Avalanche trim though.

So, is the product you're using a secret or aren't you particularly proud of it?

TL
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

When sniffing around for a long-lasting trim dressing I found myself on an Avalanche Forum where they appeared to have tried everything on all that plastic. Some reported extremely good results by using Future floor wax on the trim. I know for a fact on airplane applications the stuff is poison on critical rubber applications. I haven't seen any adverse reports on Avalanche trim though.

So, is the product you're using a secret or aren't you particularly proud of it?

TL
Refinish Restorer IS the product (as he listed) I have seen other Avalanche people talking about it as well, they say they can find it in local paint stores.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
I love the conditioned trim. I HATE to see cars with "grey" plastic trim. I like mine a bit glossy as well.

Good job.
Yeah when black trim is almost white its not a great look and the worse it gets the harder it is to restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

TL
No I listed it eariler and as cobalt listed below. There was a Avalanche thread a few months ago were me and a few others discussed dressing the plastic. The only other stuff that is out there that only worked for a few months was ArmorDillo TS-1 which only last a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
Refinish Restorer IS the product (as he listed) I have seen other Avalanche people talking about it as well, they say they can find it in local paint stores.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #6

Here is another picture I made to crop together a side by side.