autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

honda civic engine bay prep/paint/cut/buff

hey guys. some of you may remember me...haven't been on in a while. so after a long up and down race season, we decided she needed a new coat of paint under the hood over the winter, and since we decided to get rid of the brake booster and rear brakes it was perfect timing to strip the entire bay.

here is a picture of the car this season. finally figured out some timing issues we were having, but still ran out of good weather and finished the season with a best of 10.0 @ 149 at only 30 psi of boost. whole new setup going in for this upcoming season, new roller rockers and big lift cams, whole new longblock from oil pan to valve springs.

so after scuffing off the old clear in the bay, i decided to spend the extra day removing all that crappy seam sealer from the factory. we then sprayed it with some 2k urethane primer and wet sanded with 600.

this being a garage paint job, we knew we were going to have to do some wetsanding and buffing/polishings. tried to keep the dust down as best we could by wetting the floor of the garage and putting tarps up over the doors but its gonna happen. here are some pictures after a couple coats of base and 3 or 4 coats of clear. in some of these pictures you can also see our carbon fiber firewall plugs, haha. hope they pass tech. my air compressor also did not have a pressure regulator and its in a wood shop that gets a lot of moisture so that was drained ahead of time and a filter and regulator were connected to the gun.

in some of the above pictures you can see the specs of dirt on the shock towers.

im waiting for my buddy to get the finished pics after wetsand/buff/polish uploaded from his d700. we just finished up yesterday. will updated asap. thanks for looking guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: honda civic engine bay prep/paint/cut/buff

Wow. That is going to look awesome.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, glad to see you posting again. That is a helluva lot of mph for a 10 flat, I am sure the 60 ft times are slow with that mph.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the comments. haha, yes, 1.68 60 ft. and we had smoke coming off the slicks in 3rd gear. was not a pretty site at all.

still working on getting the finished pictures uploaded. i actually finally got the nerve to use a rotary...figured why not, its just the engine bay.....and i didnt want to see how long it would take a pc and sip to bring back the shine after wetsanding, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

after wetsanding with 2000, wool pad on the rotary with sip, and pc with white 5.5 pad with nano, this is what we finished with. i was afraid wetsanding would just move the dirt back and forth so i was a little paranoid at first but all-in-all im happy with the outcome. now once the swirls accumulate on the exterior maybe ill grab the rotary instead of the pc, haha.

we also had to hand polish some areas as you can see in the last picture due to it being an engine bay and the pads not being able to fit in some tight areas.
    in the first pic, the fender covers the rougher area so we did not spend much time on those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. That MPH is good for low 9's. Bigger slicks and suspension?
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

thank you! we run 24.5x9x13 mt slicks with some drag race specific suspension, along with traction bars. i actually rolled the front fenders a couple weeks ago hoping to drop the front of the car a bit more than before to keep the weight up front. plan to add some preload to the front coilovers and traction bars as well, see what it does.

the car was lifting the front pretty bad. these hondas are weird because they have the backwards rotating engine which makes it difficult to design a torsion bar setup, so i gotta settle for my traction bars for now.

we can run a 26" slick, but its a little rough on the drivetrain and i think we can do some great things with the smaller slick.

Post Thanks / Like

I laughed a bit when you said it was 'only' running 30psi. That sounds like a pretty incredible machine, what kind of times and trap speeds are you looking to get into next season?

Nice job on the engine bay btw, no one could ever tell that was a garage job.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the compliments! haha yeah only 30 psi. we are running a 72mm turbo so 30 psi isnt really....efficient for this turbo i guess you can say, it needs more air to push through the motor. the 24.5 slick is our hold up, hoping to get to mid 9's with roughly the same boost once we get the new cams in the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

sullysdetailing ~ 150 MPH is good for mid 8's easily but your right he does need some bigger slicks like a pair of 26".

RedBoost10 ~ It looks good. I did the exact same thing to my track car also. I stripped the bay, removed the seam fillers repainted everything(was gonna shave but got lazy.) Are you running a 42r? if so you need to get that baby into the upper 40s, lower 50s psi. Best Ive ran was a 10.8@125 35R@32psi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast