autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    Only problem with that is id have to carry around and be constantly refilling an air compressor. Do you think the air tools are worth the cost/hassle for the job or is there another/better option besides using a hand drill or air tools?
    You will need an awful large air tank to run air tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a dumb question, but I've never restored headlights nor have I used urethane, but I'm just wondering why is it necessary to mix the urethane with the mineral spirits? To thin it out?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but I've never restored headlights nor have I used urethane, but I'm just wondering why is it necessary to mix the urethane with the mineral spirits? To thin it out?
    Remember no question is a dumb question.

I am still learning myself but from my understanding the the mineral spirits does help "thin it out" while applying to the headlights without streaking. When it is very hot out, or windy you may need to increase the ratio of mineral spirits in your mix. You can get away with increasing the Spar ratio if you are in a controlled environment or it is cooler outside.

I can't say from experience, just what I have read here (assuming I have a good understanding)

I know this is a very long thread, but if you make the time to read 5-10+ pages per day you will knock it out in no time.
    Reading all of the pages has given me a good idea of what will, and what won't work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    ok so ive received 2 complaints of about 40-45 regarding the longevity of the gclear. One guy whose lights i did looked real bad after only 3.5 months like the gclear really started to streak up after a few months. They arent starting to yellow but you can tell the gclear is either peeling or streaking or something and i feel obligated to fix this since i have been giving out 1 year warranties with the gclear. Im guessing there are more then 2 people whose lights need to be redone but only 2 have complained. does anyone know anything about jetseal109? i heard it will last a long time on headlights.

Here is a pic of the lights

This was the post I was referring to about streaking, where the lights came out great, but a few months later the streaking appeared.
    Jeff did you chalk that up to not applying a thick enough coating, or not curing with the actual UV light?
    Are you still using Glasweld Gclear with the UV light these days or have you moved on to another product/method?

I was wondering if someone brought their car to a car wash (or did it themselves) that used a chemical to clean the lights could that be the cause of streaks months later? I want to give warranty, but if that is the case how would you be able to tell the difference between your work failing, and someone "dissolving" it?

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    That looks like what I've experienced on one single lens, I've attributed it to contamination from my IPA wipe and some residual slurry that may have flowed out of a seal. That lens didn't want to cure as quickly as it should've, and looked about 95%. As this was right before winter I told my friend I'd do it again in the spring, sanding down to the PC again. Not looking forward to it, but I knew it would be a problem as soon as I finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcpab View Post
    I've used the glass weld before and as far as streaking goes, that's more or less on how much product you're using as well as the pressure applied on the applicator to lens itself. I did like the fact that after sanding down with 2000 grit that you just apply the gw, allow it to flash, then cure it with the UV light. There's just a bit of a learning curve to reduce the streaks. Also make sure it's applied in a dust free environment. My only other gripe with this product is that it sometimes can leave a bit of a tacky finish instead of a smooth finish you get sand/polish/sealant combo.
    I included this more recent post just to get your opinion as well USMCPAB on my question/theory.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=headlightnewbie;1290183
    I included this more recent post just to get your opinion as well USMCPAB on my question/theory.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow I've never seen anything like that before. I've used gclear on numerous vehicles and I've yet to see any type of degradation on some of my maintenance customers. I have repeat customers who've had theirs for over a year and still going strong. But there's always those special cases where you do everything correctly and somehow it just doesn't work. This might be on of those cases. However, what does come to mind is a couple of things, not allowed to cure long enough in a UV curing light, gclear was applied too thin, not sanded down well enough, or not a proper ipa wipe down before the gclear application, or the environment when it was applied, like humidity or moisture in the air due to temperature or rainfall.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that insight usmcpab. I think that's probably the case. I'm one of those perfectionists though, so it irks me not to know EVERYTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the problem is nailing down which of those variables has caused the undesirable results.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried using meguiars plast x with just a hand held buffing pad buff it off with a microfiber towel and then use the Spar Urethane. I'm wondering if I tried that how it would come out. I used the Spar method on my wife 2006 Nissan Altima and it came out better but it was still a little foggy. And I'm just wondering if that might help clear some of that fog up.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Yeah, the problem is nailing down which of those variables has caused the undesirable results.
    I know everyone has their own preferences but what are your thoughts on highest level of sanding?

2000 , wipe, apply gclear
    2500, wipe, apply gclear
    3000, wipe, apply gclear

I didn't include buffing/polishing to leave a bit of "tooth".

If I were using Spar I would go up to 3000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdwheeler18 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried using meguiars plast x with just a hand held buffing pad buff it off with a microfiber towel and then use the Spar Urethane. I'm wondering if I tried that how it would come out. I used the Spar method on my wife 2006 Nissan Altima and it came out better but it was still a little foggy. And I'm just wondering if that might help clear some of that fog up.
    What prep did you do? Was it foggy before you applied the Spar?

Generally speaking I would say that PlastX by hand is going to be a waste of time on a degraded headlight.

Page 135 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3585125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast