autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Sorry. Rainy day I guess. Didn't mean to make such a big deal-long post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    re: the last several posts...

moving along...

OPTI-LENS.

/thread

oh, but you bothered to post? yeah....

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I put a first coat on my headlights and thought all was going well. I went to put second on and some haze was appearing in big sections and I could also see little bits of stuff so I quickly wiped it off with mineral spirits and let dry for a bit. OK, I have a foam brush and thought I'd give it a try. It worked very nicely and laid down a very consistent even coat. Only problem was there were some cloudy areas. I think there was some water on the brush. Oops. Well, crap. But I loved the way the brush worked out and I think I have my technique down. I re-sanded and polished the headlights and going to try again with a brand new foam brush in a few days. The amount I mix is a 100ml batch of 70/30 var to ms. It is the perfect amount for two headlights. Hopefully three times is a charm

Post Thanks / Like
    You will spend too much on foam brushes. Just use the scott blue towel or as I do, the scott clean up towels. These are half the size so you dont waste as much. Simply fold in half then half and again half til its like a 1x3 get the entire bent edge wet and apply that way. I rarely have any issues and when I do its 99% from me missing a spot on an odly shaped lens.

For the drama....take it to pm. This thread is too useful to be cluttered up with that crap. We all get it. Somebody is better than all of us and somebody is butthurt by it.

I have a 100% satisfied clientel and have a 1 year warranty that I have not had a claim on. I don't charge $20 and I don't charge $100. I have repeat customers and referred customers. So even at my middle price, I am doing fine. Because of that, I really don't care about attitudes. I only care to help others learn if they have questions, and to learn new things as I continue on. So please lets try and keep this thread on topic. AND keep it productive and helpful. If you want to brag about your work....make a thread called look what I can do and post all you facts and opinions there WITH pics to back it up. Saying you have a secret formula is neither helpful or productive here. If it's a secret...keep quiet about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online
    Conduct yourself with integrity, in business, and in life.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
    OK, so I put a first coat on my headlights and thought all was going well. I went to put second on and some haze was appearing in big sections and I could also see little bits of stuff so I quickly wiped it off with mineral spirits and let dry for a bit. OK, I have a foam brush and thought I'd give it a try. It worked very nicely and laid down a very consistent even coat. Only problem was there were some cloudy areas. I think there was some water on the brush. Oops. Well, crap. But I loved the way the brush worked out and I think I have my technique down. I re-sanded and polished the headlights and going to try again with a brand new foam brush in a few days. The amount I mix is a 100ml batch of 70/30 var to ms. It is the perfect amount for two headlights. Hopefully three times is a charm
    I've also tried those foam brushes in the past. They didn't work well for me, plus they get expensive as Lightbright says. The Scotts Blue towels do work great and you can cut them to different sizes. I cut bigger size pieces for the bigger lenses, like Ford trucks. You get more coverage for quicker application.

I highly recommend just using one coat also. It sounds like your having some issues trying to make 2 coatings work. Very few people I've seen had any luck with that. For the past 2 1/2 years I've always used only one coat with no problems.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody seen the video on headlightclean dot com and know what they are using for cleaner? Looks like you need nothing else than the cleaner only if you want to seal the headlights afterwords

Post Thanks / Like

actually, it's headlightclean dot net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
    actually, it's headlightclean dot net
    You're right that's I what I get for assuming... Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure what the stuff is. I did buy some. It removes some of the light top oxidation...but that's it...and the oxidation returned quickly. Longevity is an issue here. Buyer beware.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RENU View Post
    I'm not quite sure what the stuff is. I did buy some. It removes some of the light top oxidation...but that's it...and the oxidation returned quickly. Longevity is an issue here. Buyer beware.

Sounds like nothing more than bleach Whited and Mean Green. I used this and then wet sanded with 1000 grit then applied MS with not bad results. I guess I shouldn't worry about quality when the dealers don't worry about it. I just can't see spending an hour or two on cars and only leaving the lot with 45.00. This is really a cut throat business I'm finding down here. I went down to 20.00 to see if a dealer would do the lights, and he still said no. That his business wasn't good. LOL I wonder why. I walked in the office with him, and there set his salesman with a blanket over him cause it was cold in the office. I'm Getting frustrated with the whole thing.
    Last edited by paintman607; 04-23-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 114 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1464104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124 ... LastLast