autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Extreme Exterior Makeover Contest Begins!

Extreme Exterior Makeover Contest!

To enter contest you must have a full write up of how you worked your magic and the products you used! Also lots of pictures (I’m sure that won’t be a problem for anyone here, we all like to show off our work!!)

The whole reason of this contest is to show some of the newer member what can be done with the right products and the right knowledge!

When all the entries are in we will get it down to a few finalists and then turn it back to all of the forum members to vote for which one they think is the best! There will be one grand prize and prizes for second and third place.
    Grand prize will be a Cyclo Polisher! Second prize will be valued at approximately $100 value and third will be approximately $75 value.

Main Points to Cover
    • Exterior only on this contest
    • Must take before and after shots
    • List products and methods used, as full of a write up as you can provide please
    • If possible post picture of before then one of after right after to show the change
    • Contest will run until May 28th this will give a fair advantage to those members experiencing their second winter right now.
    • No comments will be posted in this thread; I will have a second thread for comments and questions.
    • On May 16th a poll will be put up so the members can judge the winner
    • If too many entries, staff will narrow down to top 10 to vote on
    • No maximum of photos, but please resize so they are not too large.
    • Please no duplicate pictures, try to pick out 15-30 of your best before and afters
    • Majority of products used must consist of Autogeek products
    • Use may only enter one detail for this contest
    • Exterior does not include engine bay for this contest
    • First place takes a Cyclo!
    • Can use machines
    • Open to professionals and amateurs.

Well what are you all waiting for go find that junker out in the field and get to work!

Please do not post in this thread unless you are entering. See the link below for "sound off" thread for you to post comments on.

Sound Off- for Extreme Makeover Contest
    Last edited by Meghan; 04-17-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extreme Exterior Makeover Contest Begins!

I'm the first? Too much pressure....Sorry about the size of the photos. Im not very savvy with the computer.

Nice woman called me up, asking me to do a full detail on a 325I that she was putting up for sale. Sight unseen, I didnt quote her a price. When she arrived, I thought this thing got hit by a hurricane or two! Truly unbelievable, the condition this thing was in. I felt like calling the humane society but I dont think they deal in neglected 3-Series. The woman left, still without a quote from me. I continued with my orders, to make it look nice again. After it was washed (which took over an hour in itself) and I could actually see what bad condition the paint was in, I knew I was going to have a lot of time into it so I called the owner up and told her what I thought it would take to get it back to above average condition. This is when she told me to do all I could for $150. Ugghh...... Ok. I didnt have anything else planned that day so this is what $150 gets you with Dropkick Detail in Idaho.....rates have since been raised. Also, I my wife stole the camera after I snapped the befores so there are very few shots of the different phases I went through.

Process:
    Pressure wash
    Wash w/mf mitt and Production Wash & Wax
    CB w/ Megs Mild CB
    Re-wash
    PB SSR 2.5 via PC & orange LC pad
    Meg's 83 via PC & orange LC pad
    106ff via PC & gray ccs
    Menz FG via PC & white ccs
    Natty's Blue by hand

I started out by degreasing the tires, wheels, and motor. I then pressure washed it to get rid of the top layer of filth.

While the customer was showing me around the car, she wanted to show me the scratches on the trunk her husband put in it with his softball bag so she started rubbing the dirt. It was like nails down a chalk board when I heard the dirt scratching on the paint.

Here's a couple of shots of the trunk after I washed it, clayed using Meg's Mild, then washed again using Productions Wash 'N Wax. You can see the wicked scratches. I did do some wetsanding on the back which you can see helped but didnt remove everything.

I started out by wetsanding with 2000g the stuff I thought would clear up then went over it with Menz PO 91E which took out the wetsanding scratches much better than I thought it would. Once that was complete I tried Meg's #83 with a flat orange PC pad and things started to clear up but I felt like I could get more out of it. I pulled out the SSR 2.5 (which I had just received from AG that day!) and I was getting the results I liked. After I did the entire car with SSR 2.5, I went around once more with Meg's #83 and another orange pad. Any paint correction that I was going to get done on this car was complete. (Oh, and I failed to mention that I busted my Makita backing plate the weekend before so all the correction done on this bimmer was done via PC). After the last pass with the #83, I went around the entire car once more with a 5.5" orange LC CCS pad and 106ff. Maybe it was overkill, but I had some more time so layed down some Menz finishing glaze with a white 5.5" LC CCS pad. Looked sharp, so I finished the paint off with a layer of Natty's blue by hand. Here is the final product. Again, sorry there were'nt more "during" pics.

I appreciate you letting me share. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Dropkick Detail; 04-26-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Products Used---

ONR
    Sonus Green Clay
    Menzerna SIP
    Yellow Cutting Pad
    Menzerna 106FF
    White Polishing Pad
    Poorboys Black Hole Glaze
    Blue Finishing Pad
    P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
    Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Dressing
    Optimums Instant Detailer
    Stoners Invisible Glass
    Poorboys Spray and Wipe

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of working on our 1967 Porsche 911S. We had just got the car in about a week before and the car had very bad swirling and wet sanding marks across the car. We were displaying the car at our local Porsche concourse show that weekend so I had to get right to work.

First I reviewed the paint in the sun. It was very apparent that it was going to need a lot of work.

I then tried a test spot on the hood.
    After on test spot---

50/50

Up close you can still see a few RIDS, but without a PTG I was not wet sanding any...

More pictures of the swirls...

As you can see here, the paint is somewhat dull with no depth...

After this I then pulled the car back inside and it was left for another day.

Day 2

I started by pulling the car out and giving it a full wash and clay.

I went panel by panel with ONR and green Sonus clay making sure to remove all contaminants on the paint.

Here is my ONR bucket ready to go with my new Lowes Proline Grout Sponge.

Here is the clay and a couple of drying towels.

I would wash one panel at a time, mist a bit of clay lube on top of the already pre-soaked panel, clay that panel, and then re-wash it with ONR.

Here I am making sure that every bit of the car is free of contaminants; even in between the badges.

Here is the clay after 3 panels.

Here is what the paint was left looking like today, as the polishing will wait for a later date.

Day 3

I then waited until the day before the show to get the paint correction done. I originally planned on taking many pictures of the paint correction but since I was short on time I only managed to take a few during pictures.

I used Menzerna SIP with a Yellow Cutting Pad for all correction.
    After the SIP, I then followed up with Menzerna 106FF.

Befores---

Afters---

Last edited by shuskan3; 04-26-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    -Steven

Post Thanks / Like

After all paint correction was done, I applied Poorboys new Black Hole glaze by machine with a blue finishing pad.

After the glaze I then applied P21S 100% Carnauba by hand.
    The next morning we drove to the show. At the show I gave the car a simple wipe down with Optimums new Instant Detailer.
    Here are some pictures from the show.

Even though the car was not being showed, only displayed, we did manage to win the peoples choice award!
    -Steven

Post Thanks / Like

Rims/Tires/Wells:
    Rims were rinsed off, then treated w/Meg's Wheel Brite and agitated with a sponge and rinsed off. They got a QD wipe down and to get in btwn the smaller spokes. And a final coat of AW.
    Tires were cleaned w/Awesome APC, agitated w/black schmitt. They got a coat of DP Tire gel, after it cured for hours, I put on a 2nd coat of D2G dressing.
    Wells cleaned w/Awesome APC and dressed w/Fade2Black

Wash Process:
    Rinsed off and then foamed w/Vroom foam gun. In the bucket I had Wash and Gloss with sponge. After car was washed and rinsed it was foamed up again and clayed w/Riccardo clay. Rinsed, foamed and washed one more time. For drying the car was sprayed down w/QD and dried w/WW drying towels.

Paint Correction:
    There were some scratches on the trunk the customer wanted to know if I could get out... so I wet-sanded w/2000 grit, didn't even budge the scratches. Oh well.

I did 1-2 passes of Menz. PG via Flex and LC purple foamed wool pad.

1-2 passes of Menz. SIP via Flex and 5.5-6.5" LC yellow CCS pad

1 pass of System 1 via flex and white 6.5" Cobra flex groove, all were done with speed 6, except last pass of S1 went from 4-6-4.

After all the polishing, I did what I didn't want to do, I drove the car back out of the garage and re-washed it!!!!

LSP:
    Before I applied Fuzion I used Lusso Oro Creme via Flex and a black CCS pad to ensure I had a really clean surface to work with.

I ended up doing two coats of Fuzion... I was going to top Fuzion with Souveran but decided against it!!!
    First night I did a coat using body line motions, buffed off. When I came out the next day I did a light QD wipe down to remove the dust. On the 2nd application of Fuzion I did the wax-on motion. Buffed off with a Tropi-care plush MF ( I LOVE THESE THINGS)

Others:
    Polished out the pipes(No pics), grill and license plate frame w/Master Formula
    All trim dressed w/VRP
    Black honey comb grill got F2B
    Windows SIG
    3M green tape to tape off vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Signature shots:

Post Thanks / Like

Okay well I did a 1998 GMC Yukon todat the paint was extremely swirled but this was my first mobile detail and the weather in NC today has been awful but it was nice but cloudy where I was doing it.

Process:

Wash w/ Megs NXT
    Meg's #4
    Meg's #2
    Meg's ColorX(polish)
    Mother's SynWax

The wheels and wells were done with Meg's Super Degreaser

Befores

After Dressed with Meg's Hot SHine

The Interior was the real challenge couldn't get all the stains out

Before

Afters

Exterior Afters

"My car is not named, for my car is not my friend nor my partner. It is my weapon, to beat on and push to the limits until it completes is objective or gets destroyed doing so."

Post Thanks / Like

I was the car constantly, so it's generaly clean.......
    Before: notice all those gorgeous swirl marks??

2 orange LC pads, 1 white LC pad and 3 hours later, both the car and I are done.

Products used: (all products are pinnacle) Body Shampoo, Advanced Swirl Remover, Advanced Finishing Polish, SSII wax and the Crystal Mist. All applied with the PC 7424 and LC 5.5" orange (ASR), white (AFP), and grey pads (SSII). Applied as per directions on the respective bottles.

Robert
    Last edited by krzdimond; 04-28-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here we have a 1985 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight with 169,xxx miles. It was in need of some love.

Products:
    Meg's Gold Class w/ foam gun and 2-bucket method
    Giovanna Wheel Cleaner
    Meg's Wheel Bush
    Tire Brush from Wal-Mart
    Giovanna Tire Gel
    Clay Magic w/ Clay Magic lube
    Cobra microfiber wash mitt
    Pinnacle Bug/Tar Sponge
    Cobra green Waffle-Weave drying towels
    Cobra green microfiber towels (polish removal)
    Rain-X 2-in-1 on exterior glass
    Paint Correction:
    Menzerna SIP/Orange 5.5" CCS/UDM
    3M Ultrafina SE/White 5.5" CCS/UDM

Danase Wet Glaze
    Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant

Here's how it looked before I started:

Wheels cleaned:

The Olds was washed using the foam gun in combination with the 2-bucket method. Why use 2 buckets??...

New clay:

Upper panels were not too bad...

As I got lower...

It was then time for a re-wash followed by drying with the Cobra Waffle-Weave towels. These things soak up a lot of water!

Paint condition:

Checking paint thickness to make sure it is safe to polish: The hood read anywhere from...

To...

Sides read a bit more...

Time to tape!

Taped:

Last edited by Jordan88; 05-13-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Test spot with Cobra MFs waiting:

Before and after with the paint correction steps listed above:

More afters:

Paint correction complete! And the sun is hiding...

All done!

That's it! It's too bad it is developing rust and the clearcoat on the bumpers has vanished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast