autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Lexus ES350 - Rupes UHS + Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

The owner of this car is my aunt (my dad's sister). She bought it used a few years ago. My dad told me that she asked who detailed his car which can be found here. Little did she know that it was me that did it. So she told my dad that she was going to call me to set up a date and time for me to work on her car. I did this one during the Super Bowl Weekend. Delivered it right before kick off.

She just wanted to have the exterior cleaned up because she told me that it needed some work and that she plans to keep it for a long time since she will be putting her daughter through college. I originally thought an AIO job would have been just right given that this is a daily driver and that it doesn't get proper care like us forum members are used to. At the time I had not even seen the car yet. I will get to my surprise in a bit.

Here it is as it arrived. Notice the lack of gloss.

Upon further inspection, this is what I found. Severe oxidation on the hood, roof and trunk. I will point out that she lives closer to the beach than I do.

Literally no gloss on these areas.

It was even on the headlights.

I did not get too many photos of the interior but this thing was trashed inside. I could not let her roll with a filthy interior. I don't think it has ever been cleaned. The steering wheel was disgusting with caked on grime on the leather parts. The seats were nasty as was certain areas of the floor. Good thing I had plenty of gloves and masks.

Here are some examples of the floor mats. I vacuumed them followed by spraying optimum carpet cleaner at full strength and agitated them with the Sonax red brush. Came back and wiped them with some terry towels and one final vacuum. The towels were nasty and I ended up just throwing them away.

Passenger side. The driver side was worse.

Optimum Carpet cleaner is awesome. At the moment I have to say I will be investing in the larger bottle.

One of the rear mats.

I went around all of the leather and cleaned them with a brush and Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner. These seats are pretty beat up. The rear seats were much nastier with grime and who knows what. Well she does own dogs.

All the leather was conditioned with McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion.

Final shot of the interior. The door panels and various plastics were wiped down with Meguiar's D103 APC+ and dressed with McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion. The navigation screen and wood grain areas were wiped down with McKee's 37 Fast Interior Detailer.

Next up was taking care of the wheels and tires. Tires were cleaned with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator while the wheels were cleaned with an iron remover wheel cleaner that is not carried by Autgeek. Various wheel brushes were used.

Passenger side front wheel

Wheel cleaner doing it's thing. I only have one photo of the wheel cleaned up and it will be down below in the final photos.

Next up was to wash the car. I used the http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html to wash it. I deconed it with Optimum Ferrex and proceeded to rinse and foam the car. McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam was the car wash of choice.

Re-foamed the car and use the fine grade Griot's clay mitt to mechanically decontaminate the paint. The paint had no protection at all to begin with. The water sat flat on the paint and took awhile for it to sheet off the surface.

This thing needed to be clayed badly. I dried it off and took a look at what I was working with.

Oxidation on the trunk. Was not phased by claying.

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what an AIO would do to the oxidation. I put up Meguiar's Mirror Bright Polishing Wax up to the task. I used it on my Rupes LHR15 MK 2 on speed 4 using a Meguiar's burgundy foam cutting pad. Not bad but lacking in gloss due to all the defects within the paint.

I moved to the trunk and went with D300 on a microfiber cutting pad. That worked very well. Followed that up with Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish (white polish) on a white Rupes pad. That worked great on the trunk. I went to do the same process on the hood and I noticed some DA haze after compounding with D300 on the microfiber pad. I stepped down to the Rupes Zephir compound on the Rupes blue pad. That worked much better with no haze. But it left more RIDS. I was ok with that as this was not a show car. I followed up with the Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish (white polish) on a white Rupes pad as well. Did the same thing on the roof. This was only done on the oxidized areas of the hood, roof, trunk and driver side doors. The remainder of the car was done with the Rupes UHS.

Here is the Rupes UHS doing some defect removal. In the photo I am wearing the scangrip headlamp which is great.

Much better. Left over RIDS but that is ok.

The lower front bumper on the passenger side

Big fan of the UHS combo for one steps.

The nano working those small areas. Using UHS pads and UHS polish.

50/50 of the using the UHS combo on the passenger side rear door.

I was sealing as I went along the car. Here's a photo of Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish flashing on the paint.

Final shots of everything completed.

Who knew there was paint under all that oxidation. Huge difference.

It was overcast on Super Bowl Sunday when I took these outside.

Gloss restored on the hood and headlights. The headlights were compounded with Rupes Zephir and coated with opti-lens followed by opti-seal a few hours later to protect them as there is rain in the forecast for Monday.

Gloss on the roof restored. No more oxidation.

Scangrip handheld on the trunk. Swirl free.

On the passenger side rear door. Deeper RIDS left behind.

Swirl free on the hood as well.

Wheels were sealed with hydo2 during the wash process. The tires were dressed with McKee's 37 tire gel.

I dropped it off at her house and she could not believe how great it looked. The look on her face was priceless when I pulled into her driveway. Her jaw dropped . She told me that she has never seen it look this good even after she bought it. She also told me the guy at the Lexus dealer offered to detail it for her. It's too bad it will rain a day after I did all this work. But I offered to wash it the following weekend to clean it up so she can enjoy in on a sunny day.

Here is what I used on it. I think I got everything

Interior:

Glass: Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for
    Door Panels: Meguiar's D103 APC+ (discontinued) and McKee’s 37 All In One Leather Lotion
    Leather: Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner and McKee’s 37 All In One Leather Lotion
    Navigation screen and wood grain: McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer
    Carpets: Optimum Carpet & Fabric Cleaner & Protectant and SONAX Intensive Cleaning Brush can be used on everything from tires to upholstery!

Wash:

Car Wash: McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula High Yield Foaming Auto Shampoo- Foamaster gun car wash
    Clay: Griots Garage FINE Surface Prep Mitt
    Decontamination: Optimum FerreX Iron Remover

Wheels: Iron remover wheel cleaner not sold thru Autogeek and CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant, spray on car wax

Tires: McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber.

Exterior:

Glass: Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for and Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

Compound and polish (hood, roof and trunk): Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 250 ml. Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish 250 ml.

Polish (one step for the remainder of the car): Rupes UHS Polishing Compound 250 ml.

Tools:

Rupes BigFoot LHR15 MarkII
    Rupes LHR 75E HD Mini Random Orbital Polisher
    Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck Kit
    SCANGRIP Sunmatch, swirl finding light
    SCANGRIP I-View, headlamp, motion sensor detail light

Pads:

Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) White Finishing Foam Pad
    Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad
    Rupes 100 mm (4 inch) White Finishing Foam Pad
    Rupes 100 mm (4 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad
    Rupes 150mm (6 Inch) UHS Foam Pad
    Rupes 100mm (4 Inch) UHS Foam Pad
    http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-40u-pad.html

Paint Prep: CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser, IPA, paint cleaner, polish remover, wax remover

Paint Protection: Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish

Final Wipe: Meguiars Mirror Bright Spray Detailer

Headlights:

Compound: Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 250 ml.

Prep: Optimum Paint Prep

Protection: Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants and Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

Exhaust tips:

Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener

Engine bay:

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner

Trim:

Meguiar's D103 APC+ and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Lexus ES350 - Rupes UHS + Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

Dang nice work buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The owner of this car is my aunt (my dad's sister). She bought it used a few years ago. My dad told me that she asked who detailed his car which can be found here. Little did she know that it was me that did it. So she told my dad that she was going to call me to set up a date and time for me to work on her car. I did this one during the Super Bowl Weekend. Delivered it right before kick off.

She just wanted to have the exterior cleaned up because she told me that it needed some work and that she plans to keep it for a long time since she will be putting her daughter through college. I originally thought an AIO job would have been just right given that this is a daily driver and that it doesn't get proper care like us forum members are used to. At the time I had not even seen the car yet. I will get to my surprise in a bit.

Here it is as it arrived. Notice the lack of gloss.

Upon further inspection, this is what I found. Severe oxidation on the hood, roof and trunk. I will point out that she lives closer to the beach than I do.

Literally no gloss on these areas.

It was even on the headlights.

I did not get too many photos of the interior but this thing was trashed inside. I could not let her roll with a filthy interior. I don't think it has ever been cleaned. The steering wheel was disgusting with caked on grime on the leather parts. The seats were nasty as was certain areas of the floor. Good thing I had plenty of gloves and masks.

Here are some examples of the floor mats. I vacuumed them followed by spraying optimum carpet cleaner at full strength and agitated them with the Sonax red brush. Came back and wiped them with some terry towels and one final vacuum. The towels were nasty and I ended up just throwing them away.

Passenger side. The driver side was worse.

Optimum Carpet cleaner is awesome. At the moment I have to say I will be investing in the larger bottle.

One of the rear mats.

I went around all of the leather and cleaned them with a brush and Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner. These seats are pretty beat up. The rear seats were much nastier with grime and who knows what. Well she does own dogs.

All the leather was conditioned with McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion.

Final shot of the interior. The door panels and various plastics were wiped down with Meguiar's D103 APC+ and dressed with McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion. The navigation screen and wood grain areas were wiped down with McKee's 37 Fast Interior Detailer.

Next up was taking care of the wheels and tires. Tires were cleaned with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator while the wheels were cleaned with an iron remover wheel cleaner that is not carried by Autgeek. Various wheel brushes were used.

Passenger side front wheel

Wheel cleaner doing it's thing. I only have one photo of the wheel cleaned up and it will be down below in the final photos.

Next up was to wash the car. I used the http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html to wash it. I deconed it with Optimum Ferrex and proceeded to rinse and foam the car. McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam was the car wash of choice.

Re-foamed the car and use the fine grade Griot's clay mitt to mechanically decontaminate the paint. The paint had no protection at all to begin with. The water sat flat on the paint and took awhile for it to sheet off the surface.

This thing needed to be clayed badly. I dried it off and took a look at what I was working with.

Oxidation on the trunk. Was not phased by claying.

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what an AIO would do to the oxidation. I put up Meguiar's Mirror Bright Polishing Wax up to the task. I used it on my Rupes LHR15 MK 2 on speed 4 using a Meguiar's burgundy foam cutting pad. Not bad but lacking in gloss due to all the defects within the paint.

I moved to the trunk and went with D300 on a microfiber cutting pad. That worked very well. Followed that up with Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish (white polish) on a white Rupes pad. That worked great on the trunk. I went to do the same process on the hood and I noticed some DA haze after compounding with D300 on the microfiber pad. I stepped down to the Rupes Zephir compound on the Rupes blue pad. That worked much better with no haze. But it left more RIDS. I was ok with that as this was not a show car. I followed up with the Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish (white polish) on a white Rupes pad as well. Did the same thing on the roof. This was only done on the oxidized areas of the hood, roof, trunk and driver side doors. The remainder of the car was done with the Rupes UHS.

Here is the Rupes UHS doing some defect removal. In the photo I am wearing the scangrip headlamp which is great.

Much better. Left over RIDS but that is ok.

The lower front bumper on the passenger side

Big fan of the UHS combo for one steps.

The nano working those small areas. Using UHS pads and UHS polish.

50/50 of the using the UHS combo on the passenger side rear door.

I was sealing as I went along the car. Here's a photo of Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish flashing on the paint.

Final shots of everything completed.

Who knew there was paint under all that oxidation. Huge difference.

It was overcast on Super Bowl Sunday when I took these outside.

Gloss restored on the hood and headlights. The headlights were compounded with Rupes Zephir and coated with opti-lens followed by opti-seal a few hours later to protect them as there is rain in the forecast for Monday.

Gloss on the roof restored. No more oxidation.

Scangrip handheld on the trunk. Swirl free.

On the passenger side rear door. Deeper RIDS left behind.

Swirl free on the hood as well.

Wheels were sealed with hydo2 during the wash process. The tires were dressed with McKee's 37 tire gel.

I dropped it off at her house and she could not believe how great it looked. The look on her face was priceless when I pulled into her driveway. Her jaw dropped . She told me that she has never seen it look this good even after she bought it. She also told me the guy at the Lexus dealer offered to detail it for her. It's too bad it will rain a day after I did all this work. But I offered to wash it the following weekend to clean it up so she can enjoy in on a sunny day.

Here is what I used on it. I think I got everything

Interior:

Glass: Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for
    Door Panels: Meguiar's D103 APC+ (discontinued) and McKee’s 37 All In One Leather Lotion
    Leather: Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner and McKee’s 37 All In One Leather Lotion
    Navigation screen and wood grain: McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer
    Carpets: Optimum Carpet & Fabric Cleaner & Protectant and SONAX Intensive Cleaning Brush can be used on everything from tires to upholstery!

Wash:

Car Wash: McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula High Yield Foaming Auto Shampoo- Foamaster gun car wash
    Clay: Griots Garage FINE Surface Prep Mitt
    Decontamination: Optimum FerreX Iron Remover

Wheels: Iron remover wheel cleaner not sold thru Autogeek and CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant, spray on car wax

Tires: McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber.

Exterior:

Glass: Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for and Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

Compound and polish (hood, roof and trunk): Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 250 ml. Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish 250 ml.

Polish (one step for the remainder of the car): Rupes UHS Polishing Compound 250 ml.

Tools:

Rupes BigFoot LHR15 MarkII
    Rupes LHR 75E HD Mini Random Orbital Polisher
    Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck Kit
    SCANGRIP Sunmatch, swirl finding light
    SCANGRIP I-View, headlamp, motion sensor detail light

Pads:

Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) White Finishing Foam Pad
    Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad
    Rupes 100 mm (4 inch) White Finishing Foam Pad
    Rupes 100 mm (4 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad
    Rupes 150mm (6 Inch) UHS Foam Pad
    Rupes 100mm (4 Inch) UHS Foam Pad
    http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-40u-pad.html

Paint Prep: CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser, IPA, paint cleaner, polish remover, wax remover

Paint Protection: Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish

Final Wipe: Meguiars Mirror Bright Spray Detailer

Headlights:

Compound: Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 250 ml.

Prep: Optimum Paint Prep

Protection: Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants and Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus! New & Improved!

Exhaust tips:

Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener

Engine bay:

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner

Trim:

Meguiar's D103 APC+ and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer
    very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work, that looks fantastic! Someone just shot to #1 on the nephew list.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Fantastic work Mike!

You weren't kidding on how oxidize the paint was but you brought It back to life! Talk about an extreme makeover.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work! Been using the fast finish on more entry-level jobs.

How has your experience been with UHS system? Been thinking about grabbing it. Any tricks with it?
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

That was a fantastic job. It looks like a new car.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    very nice.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Outstanding work, that looks fantastic! Someone just shot to #1 on the nephew list.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Wow! Fantastic work Mike!

You weren't kidding on how oxidize the paint was but you brought It back to life! Talk about an extreme makeover.
    Yeah took some work but it came out great in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    Awesome work! Been using the fast finish on more entry-level jobs.

How has your experience been with UHS system? Been thinking about grabbing it. Any tricks with it?
    Thanks. This was the first time I used fast finish on an entire car and it was easy to use and it took very little time to apply it to the whole car.

I've been using the UHS system for quite some time now. I am a big fan of it for one step jobs. It corrects well and leaves behind some nice gloss. I read this thread from Todd and it gave me an excellent tip on how to prime the pad. From there on out it's pretty straight forward. Long working time and no dusting. Easy to wipe off the polish residue. It can sling because the pads are stiff the first use. They soften a bit as they warm up. To clean them I would recommend using warm water. The pad stiffens up when cleaning it with cold water.

Ferrari Daytona vs. Mk II BigFoot!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    That was a fantastic job. It looks like a new car.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great save Mike. Very nice of you to help out your aunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Guz!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast