autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on car covers

Not sure what category to post this but in but I'm wondering if a car cover will actually keep dust off a vehicle while parked outside? Does the quality of cover make much of a difference in that aspect ?
    I have an older Cadillac limo that won't fit in a garage and I hate having to wash it every time I decide to take it out. If nothing else won't the cover provide some protection for the vinyl roof while parked ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on car covers

Sure, it will provide plenty of protection against UV and depending on the kind of cover, against dust.

The main complaint against covers here is that if the car isn't clean, removing or installing the cover can grind grit against the paint causing marring.

There are many kinds of cover materials today, all with different purposes/costs in mind. Most of these covers are breathable, because you don't want to trap moisture under the cover as that's bad for the car in several ways. Back in the early days of the "Evolution" series of car cover fabrics, I had a car that lived outside and I used to keep a cover on it. When I would remove the cover, which would typically be after several months, there would be fine silt on the car in the pattern of the cover material (dust or pollen washed through the pores of the material by the rain).

I really don't know if the successive generations of cover material have corrected this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

you will gets lots of opinions on this. some will say "never cover.". some will say only cover indoors.

I have a cover I have never used.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy is 100% correct. My suggestion is before you get a car cover, get wheel covers and put those on first.
    This way as the car cover goes on the car it will not rub against the tires, which may dirt/sand etc on them. This will keep the car cover clean and when you remove it, it will prevent the cover dragging against the paint (after it dragged across the tires).

Hope this helps.

p.s. This thread should have probably gone in Detailing 101. Show-N-Shine is where folks post finished product detail events.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a car that had to sit outside for extended periods I would definitely use a cover. Not to keep it clean but rather to provide UV protection.

Some dirt will find it's way through whatever cover you use over a period of time and that dirt will cause paint marring, but I will accept the paint marring in exchange for the UV protection provided.

A major consideration is your location. I live in Southern California where sun damage is a significant concern. I see you're in Canada so UV is probably not as big a concern.

Ultimately you have to make the decision. I'd suggest trying a cover for a while to see if you're happy with the results. That's what really matters.

Post Thanks / Like

I use car covers for all my cars that are outside and in my garage. The covers I have are Weathershield HD fabric. These do a very good job of keeping dust out and offering UV protection. They are lightweight and can be washed in a home washer. I have not seen any evidence that these scratch the paint in any way. For me living in South Florida, the greatest danger to cars is the sun, and keeping my cars protected from the sun was important.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on both sides of the fence. Now that I am retired we sold the house and the truck is outside 24/7 with blowing dust and quite a bit of rain in Phoenix the last 6 Months or so. I have been watching the clear coat flaking off the roof of the Wife's Toyota and really did not want this happening to my truck. I broke down and found a good cover at a reasonable price, cleaned the truck and installed the cover. It has been thru quite a few storms and wind gusts up to 45mph which worried me with abrasion. When I removed the cover the truck is spotless and no dust accumulation with no marring. I did purchase all the gust guard parts, cable lock etc. which is probably helping with any abrasion issues.

Dave