autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2015 Genesis & A trick to get Essence to work

This car was booked to get whatever coating I thought the customer would like. It was going to need some heavy correction, so I went with my entry level coating: Gloss Coat, albeit with a double coat to save him some $$. Here it is as it arrived:

It was extremely hot out and I wanted to get it washed and inside the garage so I could get the air going as soon as possible.

First up was the wheels. I used the Bam wheel cleaner on the barrels and Zep Citrus on the faces. Zep 505 was used on the tires and LATA on the well. The barrels were then shot with Aqua Bead (a Hydro copy) to help keep them clean afterward.

The car was then washed with Megs HW followed by a decontamination wash of IronX paste. It was brought inside and clayed with a clay towel. Now it was time to inspect the paint and take note of all the chips:

Even a tail light lens was scratched:

I think you get the idea. I had my work cut out for me.

Time to fire up a cigar and play with some paint! I ended up going with Shine Supply Chop Top again (it is now my go-to for bad paint) and a black TB wool pad + 3401. That was followed by M205 + yellow B/S pad + 3401. I did a third step using Essence. I have had more bad luck with Essence than good. I find it hard to remove with a normal polishing time (gets smeary) and if worked too long, it gets pig tails and needs M205 or something as a fixer (pun intended). As an aside, when I`m removing a coating, I use a short nap mf followed by the Car Pro suede mf`s. (I don`t just use the suede). I call the suede my "insurance wipe". PM me for a crass, but true, metaphor for the insurance wipe. Anyway, I was using a Microfiber Madness blue Summit 800 towel to remove the Essence. It was doing a good job, but I was still getting a bit of smearing. So, I doubled up two suede mf`s (I always do) and went over the area again doing my "insurance wipe". That did it! It removed all trace of it and produced a smooth, glossy finish. Finally Essence as it should be! And such a simple solution. I have repeated it with the next vehicle that I am currently working on too, so it`s not a fluke.

I was so grateful to have my a/c unit going! Here was my garage after it running on low all night:

Here`s how that tail light came out after the 3 step process:

After the whole vehicle got all three steps, it was double coated with Gloss Coat which was applied to the wheels, side and rear glass and the head and tail lights as well as the paint. I was thrilled at how it came out. The Optimum product played beautifully with Essence (again I have repeated the combo) and produced a winner in my books.

Here it is:

A big paint chip repair:

Sorry for so many pics, but I was delighted with the outcome for this car. Comments as always are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Genesis & A trick to get Essence to work

Beautiful workmanship as per usual Richy.

I'm not buying the apology for the amount of photos - if they were rubish then maybe we'd let ya know but as the saying goes "a picture paints a thousand words" & a glossy story they tell. Love the different colours in the paint that can be seen in the picture where you're pointing out the chip repair. Interesting technique with the Essence Richy, I have had a couple of weird experiences with it but its not the norm. Some times get a ghost like haze, where it looks & feels like its wiped off but it leaves a faint "ghost haze" behind. The haze wipes off easy enough with some Reload or D156 or a detail spray but this information is a huge time saver thank you Richy!

Took me until the picture of the Hyundai badge to realise what this car actually was, we don't get a Genisis down here. Smart looking car.

Awesome results & a massive turn around on this one Richy (although the ceiling fan is smudged hahahaha) Enjoyable thread mate, thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Another awesome job Richy!
    Doing my part to keep all cars clean and shiny!

Post Thanks / Like

If only I could be this good!! Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I'm pretty sure that's the same paint color that's on my GC, it has all that hidden flake in it.

Great job! How long did it take?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Not to nitpick, but were the swirls seen in this photo too deep to go after?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work. Im surprised you have trouble with essence. I found it super easy to use. I tried Corey's method of just going with one VERY SLOW pass and not using a lot of product, and the removal was effortless. In fact, much of it simply dissapeared. According to what I read, this heats up the product and pad enough to get the curing process started.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you do it man. Work full time, big details every weekend then posting threads on each. Great job as usual my friend. I'm tired just thinking about it all, so I think I'm gonna fire up a stick and relax. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful transformation Richy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Beautiful workmanship as per usual Richy.

I'm not buying the apology for the amount of photos - if they were rubish then maybe we'd let ya know but as the saying goes "a picture paints a thousand words" & a glossy story they tell. Love the different colours in the paint that can be seen in the picture where you're pointing out the chip repair. Interesting technique with the Essence Richy, I have had a couple of weird experiences with it but its not the norm. Some times get a ghost like haze, where it looks & feels like its wiped off but it leaves a faint "ghost haze" behind. The haze wipes off easy enough with some Reload or D156 or a detail spray but this information is a huge time saver thank you Richy!

Took me until the picture of the Hyundai badge to realise what this car actually was, we don't get a Genisis down here. Smart looking car.

Awesome results & a massive turn around on this one Richy (although the ceiling fan is smudged hahahaha) Enjoyable thread mate, thanks for sharing.

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks very much Aaryn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman21 View Post
    Another awesome job Richy!
    Thanks kindly!

Quote Originally Posted by 2pennies View Post
    If only I could be this good!! Great work!
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Very nice. I'm pretty sure that's the same paint color that's on my GC, it has all that hidden flake in it.

Great job! How long did it take?
    Thank you. 20 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 04accord View Post
    Not to nitpick, but were the swirls seen in this photo too deep to go after?

You can nit pick all you want. I try to show what I got out and what I didn't. The hood took forever and I had to cut my losses for time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Very nice work. Im surprised you have trouble with essence. I found it super easy to use. I tried Corey's method of just going with one VERY SLOW pass and not using a lot of product, and the removal was effortless. In fact, much of it simply dissapeared. According to what I read, this heats up the product and pad enough to get the curing process started.
    I hadn't heard Corey's method. Only one pass? Period? Seems strange, but I'll try that. I've used it again on a black Dodge Ram that I'll be posting in a day or 2 and it worked great with the double wipe too. I'm doing a 370z in the morning, so I'll try the one pass method. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I don't know how you do it man. Work full time, big details every weekend then posting threads on each. Great job as usual my friend. I'm tired just thinking about it all, so I think I'm gonna fire up a stick and relax. lol
    Thanks Don. I've actually got 3 weeks vacation and 2 of them are consumed with doing cars. I'm still booked into September in spite of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Beautiful transformation Richy!
    Thanks kindly Mike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast