autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV Gel Coat Oxidation: At Wits End...Any Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Should this thing really be oxidizing that bad being bought on March of 2014? I wouldn't think so, but then again...

Should you be using heavy compounds on it? See above.

I don't doubt Dave's comments or his experience, but I think he may understand what I'm getting at here and I know he won't take offense to my caution.

I can tell you from my own experience on a 1976 Boston Whaler that, after being told by the manufacture that I'd have to sand the gel-coat to get it to shine, your Buff Magic is more than capable, even with wool on a DA, of removing the type of oxidation that a 2014 model should have. BM pink is a quality product capable of removing many, many years of oxidation with wool and a rotary. It may take a while, in that case use BM white or another similar products, of which there are a few. I'm saying that BM should have fixed this already.

I'm wondering if something isn't going on with the gel-coat.

1. Be sure with the dealer that it IS, indeed, gel-coat.

2. Call and tell the dealer what's going on and ask them what they recommend using on it.

3. For gosh sake's don't tell them what you've already used on it. I've heard of a few instances where folks were told they used the wrong product, didn't ask what to use and got their warranty voided...though I'm almost certain the wool got pulled over their eyes.

Something about this being a 2014 model and already oxidizing to the point of needing wool, compounds and a rotary sends of a red flag in the air with me. Perhaps I need to reread the posts.
    Good points and no it should not oxidize this fast and so say the many others with exactly the same issue. I plan to discuss this with the dealer this weekend. Besides it oxidizing so soon even with a quality marine wax applied twice during the last year, it also frustrating when I finished applying the Shurhold Buff Magic it looked wonderful. Only then did I then apply the wax and yet 2 months later oxidation is starting to re appear.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you'd take the time to go over the gelcoat with a few different grits of sand paper, such as 1500 grit followed by 2000 grit then 2 final passes with 3000 grit to ensure the smoothest possible finish you could have before buffing to a high gloss, it might slow the onset of oxidation because of increased surface tension and less microscopic peaks and valleys for water, fallout etc. to lay and oxidize.

This however is just a theory I have, I haven't tested it.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned we brought our TT in to the dealer on Saturday. The service manager was not there, but the tech who took our TT in, indicated he thought they would repair under warranty as they have done others and recently. In fact there were 3-others on the lot just completed. He indicated it seems to be a clear coat issue, what they have done in these cases, is to wet sand the cap, then re-paint/re-coat with new clear coat. Awaiting the final word, from the service mgr. In the mean time, thank you all for your helpful replies.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

For what it's worth I just restored a 23' 1994 Wellcraft boat of which the stern was badly dulled out due to sun damage. I used a flex 3401 and a three steps of Marine 31 and it turned out great!

1st step- Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner and a 6.5" Orange Lake Country CCS Pad.

2nd step- Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish and a 6.5" White Lake Country CCS Pad.

3rd step- Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant and a 6.5" Blue Lake Country CCS Pad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123