autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV Gel Coat Oxidation: At Wits End...Any Suggestions

It used to take me 10 hours to cut the super rough severe oxidation off of these old traded in shuttle bus roof caps. That was using wool pad, (3M 2+2 Superbuff) 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound and a rotary on speed setting #5.

When I get these super neglected buses in now, I scuff off the oxidation with 3M purple Schotch Brite pads then hit them with any old heavy compound (the $29 a gallon local stuff) on a twisted wool pad with my trusty Makita rotary. What used to take 10 hours, now takes 3.

In production, that's the name of the game!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    Thank you again. I do have in my arsenal, foam cutting pads (yellow & orange) perhaps as you suggest along with technique is worth a try. It is also sounding like a compound, followed by polishing, then wax may also be a better option than the Shurhold Buff Magic which is formulated to compound and polish in one step.
    You're quite welcome Bruce.. Keep on trying different things in smaller test areas until you find the "Magic Bullet" and once you find it, run with it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I hear you on not being so excited about buffing these big rigs.

You using that Edge pad on a rotary right? I love the Edge wool pads!!
    Rotary is the only tool for oxidized Gel Coat. That stuff is down right brutal. Everytime I have to do that RV I look 32' down the side and know it goes 8' across, 32' back up the other side and 8' across to where I started along with being close to 12' off the ground. Just thinking about it wears me out. I had to have at least 40 hrs the last time I did it. Then after the oxidation removal is complete it is two trips around, one with 601/501 then 601/111. It is better now being once a year with the latest routine. It use to be every three months or so. I have a few Edge wool pads, tried the green but it wasn't long before I moved to the black, between the black and the 3M ( Rocks in a Bottle ) it made the chore so much easier. I had to wear goggles with the 3M compound, it was like working in a sand storm.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Rotary is the only tool for oxidized Gel Coat. That stuff is down right brutal. Everytime I have to do that RV I look 32' down the side and know it goes 8' across, 32' back up the other side and 8' across to where I started along with being close to 12' off the ground. Just thinking about it wears me out. I had to have at least 40 hrs the last time I did it. Then after the oxidation removal is complete it is two trips around, one with 601/501 then 601/111. It is better now being once a year with the latest routine. It use to be every three months or so. I have a few Edge wool pads, tried the green but it wasn't long before I moved to the black, between the black and the 3M ( Rocks in a Bottle ) it made the chore so much easier. I had to wear goggles with the 3M compound, it was like working in a sand storm.

Dave
    I could only imagine....

The difference between 3M Super Duty and the El Cheapo dealership supply house rocks in a bottle is quite a bit in price and also in effectiveness. I love using the 3M SD but often end up buying the El Cheapo gallon for around $30 and putting in a few more hours worth of work. I think next time I have to do one I'll buy the 3M stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I could only imagine....

The difference between 3M Super Duty and the El Cheapo dealership supply house rocks in a bottle is quite a bit in price and also in effectiveness. I love using the 3M SD but often end up buying the El Cheapo gallon for around $30 and putting in a few more hours worth of work. I think next time I have to do one I'll buy the 3M stuff.
    Be sure to have your goggles, not safety glasses. That sand in the eyeballs can hurt and it just seems to float around you, don't ask me how I know.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post

Dave
    Luckily for me the oxidation problem is only on the front cap, which represents a surface area in the neighborhood of 4x8'. The lower section is painted with a bed liner product to ward off damage from road debris.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

I tackle almost every gelcoat approach with 100% woolpads and my rotary. That stuff is tough and responds well to a very aggressive approach, depending on condition. The GG RO, cranked all the way up and maybe some thin MF cutting pads and a good, stout compound might prove similar to a rotary approach. Then, maybe several section passes to get you some results.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Puckman. So this prompts another question. Considering gel coat is so tough and a rotary seems to be the best tool for the job, how much danger of damage would my inexperienced hands be in on gel coat with a rotary machine? Because of my lack of experience with rotary machines, I would not get within 10 feet of my cars with one, considering the less forgiving and more delicate clear coat, but with my TT and gel coat, is there room for me to learn? I am hoping the dealer/mfg will take care of it for me, but if not I will try using my Griot's Garage RO with the suggestions Tuscora Dave & others made, especially since it is not a large area to do. If those fail, I might then look at getting a rotary, although I would do so as a last resort as I do not see me using it a lot.
    Last edited by Hermes1; 02-25-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Content
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

With a R O I doubt you could harm anything but decals if your running high speed. You may not even make any head way with the R O as it may not even spin on the oxidation. If you use a rotary keep it on low speed until you get a feel for it, with wool pads of course. Under no circumstances cross or get close to decals at high speed unless you want to remove them. I am sure your dealer can fix your problem for a nominal charge. There is this for Gel Coat, I do not have any experience with it but the editor of Trailer life had a write up saying he uses on his motor home.
    Poliglow Products, Inc.| Manufacturer of Poli Glow, A New Concept in Boat Polish

Dave

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Should this thing really be oxidizing that bad being bought on March of 2014? I wouldn't think so, but then again...

Should you be using heavy compounds on it? See above.

I don't doubt Dave's comments or his experience, but I think he may understand what I'm getting at here and I know he won't take offense to my caution.

I can tell you from my own experience on a 1976 Boston Whaler that, after being told by the manufacture that I'd have to sand the gel-coat to get it to shine, your Buff Magic is more than capable, even with wool on a DA, of removing the type of oxidation that a 2014 model should have. BM pink is a quality product capable of removing many, many years of oxidation with wool and a rotary. It may take a while, in that case use BM white or another similar products, of which there are a few. I'm saying that BM should have fixed this already.

I'm wondering if something isn't going on with the gel-coat.

1. Be sure with the dealer that it IS, indeed, gel-coat.

2. Call and tell the dealer what's going on and ask them what they recommend using on it.

3. For gosh sake's don't tell them what you've already used on it. I've heard of a few instances where folks were told they used the wrong product, didn't ask what to use and got their warranty voided...though I'm almost certain the wool got pulled over their eyes.

Something about this being a 2014 model and already oxidizing to the point of needing wool, compounds and a rotary sends of a red flag in the air with me. Perhaps I need to reread the posts.
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast