autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

  1. #21
    Senior Member Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    658

    Thumbs up Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Well I finally got my polisher and I have to say I was wrong on the power issue as well as the "Big brother protecting me" issue. This baby spins at 2000-5000 RPM according to the spec sheet. You can imagine the heat generated by using a coarse Blue pad (they are very coarse) spinning on a small patch at 5000 RPM. To test I put my hand under a dry pad and let're rip. The bandages come off next week (just kidding).

    It got real hot real fast.

    I would not have tested this before hand had I not read this post, so kudos to Mike for starting it. I also use no more than speed 3 with the rotary tool with 1" pad, just to be sure don't "burn through" the paint.

    The small pad with the rotary tool is perfect for getting close to edges or on uneven surfaces. I used it on the underside of my trunk (great place to test products as the paint is "virgin", the original color and not visible if you make a boo boo.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

  2. #22
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    35,631

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

    Well I finally got my polisher and I have to say I was wrong on the power issue as well as the "Big brother protecting me" issue. This baby spins at 2000-5000 RPM according to the spec sheet.

    You can imagine the heat generated by using a coarse Blue pad (they are very coarse) spinning on a small patch at 5000 RPM. To test I put my hand under a dry pad and let're rip. The bandages come off next week (just kidding).

    It got real hot real fast.

    I would not have tested this before hand had I not read this post, so kudos to Mike for starting it.

    Just looking out for my forum buddies!



    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

    I also use no more than speed 3 with the rotary tool with 1" pad, just to be sure don't "burn through" the paint.

    As long as the tool maintains pad rotation under load you're good to go. High speed is not necessary as it creates a risk. Low speed plus time is the way to go.


    axel06 and k20trick like this.
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    PGH, PA
    Posts
    882

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Todd@Rupes
    Dylan@rupes , do you guys plan to make a rubber boot for
    the neck/head by chance?

  4. #24
    Senior Member medicscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    582

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Learned this the hard way by the backing plate clamping down. It was difficult to remove. But I had a corvette with terrible scuffs on the plastic parts near the kickplate,so I jimmy rigged it so the 2" pad would freely spin on the plastic. After trying 3 other ways of getting the scuffs out, I went speed 4-5 with the Nano in rotary mode and bam. Cleaned the plastic down to perfection. I did do a test spot underneath the dash to make sure of no issues. Not really sure how I ever lived without this tool. It's simply amazing!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    107

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Todd@Rupes
    Dylan@rupes , do you guys plan to make a rubber boot for
    the neck/head by chance?
    Thats a great suggestion I could see the metal bumping into something by accident, but imo I think that metal part really blings out the polisher =)

  6. #26
    Junior Member nynewyawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    11

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Glad I found this post. Got my iBrid last week and finally used it today. I attached the 2" plate to the rotary connector and after a few minutes the unit stopped working. Swapped batteries, even sued A/C adapter, still no go.
    Then off to the videos I went, trying to figure out ###. Found this video and all is well now, unit is bqack up and running. Would be nice if Rupes would provide and ACTUAL instruction manual, especially when we're paying $600.
    Once again Mike, thank you for some valuable information.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    107

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Quote Originally Posted by nynewyawk View Post
    Glad I found this post. Got my iBrid last week and finally used it today. I attached the 2" plate to the rotary connector and after a few minutes the unit stopped working. Swapped batteries, even sued A/C adapter, still no go.
    Then off to the videos I went, trying to figure out ###. Found this video and all is well now, unit is bqack up and running. Would be nice if Rupes would provide and ACTUAL instruction manual, especially when we're paying $600.
    Once again Mike, thank you for some valuable information.
    What did you do to get it working again? The Rupes manual shows not to use the 2" plate with the rotary fitting. At least mine came with instructions regarding that issue.

    Gotta love AutoGeek, seriously whenever I purchase products here I know that my chemicals are fresh, I tried purchasing elsewhere and it felt like the chemicals were old and sitting on shelves. For that reason I never make the same mistake again. Oh and if you get the gift certificates, you can use them to purchase the Rupes and buy them at bargain pricing.

  8. #28
    Junior Member nynewyawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    11

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    If you remove the plastic shroud around the head of the unit, you can then use the 2" plate in rotary mode.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
    Posts
    374

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Thanks for heads up! I probably would have cut or removed the shroud so the 2" would fit if I had not seen this post.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
    Posts
    374

    Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Todd@Rupes
    Dylan@rupes , do you guys plan to make a rubber boot for
    the neck/head by chance?
    Yeah,X2 on this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Rupes Ibrid Nano polisher is NOW here!
    By Delegance Detailing in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-10-2016, 08:42 AM
  2. RUPES Nano iBrid Short Neck - What's in the Box?
    By Mike Phillips in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 10:56 AM
  3. Rupes Bigfoot Nano (iBrid) is available for Pre-Order!!!
    By apthai in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 10:16 PM
  4. Rupes Big Foot iBrid Nano
    By Vrtcl in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 04:29 AM
  5. Rupes 15 vs Rupes 21 w/5" backing plate
    By expdetailing in forum RUPES BigFoot Oribital Polishers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» March 2017

262728 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1