autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    UC has lots of oils, you might see the holograms in bright sun after the next wash.
    I'll go wipe it with IPA and see if anything changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

That pad, product, speed combination is virtually guaranteed to leave holograms. It's likely they are just difficult to see on that color.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

with technology and the ever evolving different pads, polishes, and compounds for the DA, you can accomplish quite a bit without the risk factor and skip a step. one person who I can think of who use to use a rotary strictly was paul dalton and he has been using the rupes bigfoot system with tremendous success for a number of years and doesn't even reach for the rotary as much or if at all anymore. he even mentioned/shown that the the rupes DA can achieve a high level of gloss (as much as a rotary) and has a gloss meter to prove it (I believe kevin brown has mentioned this as well). iirc, he also mentioned that it has made it less stressful as well. of course he has a lot of skill and knowledge so that makes a big difference as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    OP - maybe you're just gifted?

LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeeks View Post
    BMW Titanium Silver Metallic.
    Try using it on black paint. I sometimes get lucky on black paint, but almost always have to finish down with a DA. Light colors (white/silver) is a piece of cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wiped a section with IPA and inspected with an LED light. No swirls that I can see, but I'll wash it tomorrow and report back with what it looks like in direct sunlight, sans residual polishing oils.

Post Thanks / Like

BMW Titanium Silver Metallic.
    It's possible you just can't see the holograms on that color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting point from Mike, made in another thread. This may be the answer I was looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to add...

The thing about using only a rotary buffer on a car is that you can leave what looks like a flawless, hologram free finish in your eyes at that moment.

If there are holograms, you might not be able to see them unless you chemically strip the car and then view the car in bright overhead sun.

1. Stripping the paint takes time
    2. Stripping the paint risks marring it in the process.
    3. You don't always have a hot, sunny summer day at noon to inspect.
    4. On a light colored car even if their are holograms they can still be hard to see.

So here's the question...

If you don't really do a great job of completely stripping off any oils, fillers other masking ingredients and then inspect in full sun or very bright light... how will you actually know 100% that you've left a 100% hologram-free finish?

The answer is you won't.

The above all said, if there are holograms, as long as you don't see them and as long as you maintain the paint with a wax, sealant or coating, then the point is moot.

Here's what I know and what I've also see a lot of seasoned professional agree with and that's in most cases, the holograms won't show up till months have gone by and the car in question has been washed over and over again.

I do some rotary buffer only buff-outs... I have nothing against them for the right car and the right owner.

Plus, with products like SF 4500, Sonax Nano Polish and soft foam pads and slow turning rotary buffers, it's more possible now to leave a hologram finish than ever before.

Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting point from Mike, made in another thread. This may be the answer I was looking for:

Looks like you may have found your answer. holograms are not always to see and may pop up later making you wonder where they came from. I will use my rotary for grunt work and finish off with the da, better safe than sorry.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You are less likely to leave holograms on a rotary with a foam pad over wool, but at 2000 RPM, that chance increases greatly. Honestly, there is no need to be at 2000 RPMs on a rotary IMO. IIRC, the recommended speed for M105 is 1400-1800 RPMS. Very seldom does my rotary ever go above 1400.
    Rotary is a good tool for production detailing and for super heavy cutting. I use a rotary constantly, but also use my FLEX 3401 constantly as well. Mastering the rotary makes you a better polisher honestly, or at least that is how I feel.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

If there are any holograms, the paint color hides them very well. These are in direct sunlight. Any scratches you see are deeper ones that were there when I got the car, that haven't been removed yet.

I'm going to go back over the whole car when I have some time with:

Megs UC / Orange CCS Pad / 1400 RPM

followed by Megs UP / White CCS Pad / 1400 RPM

followed by BFWD / Hand Application

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast