autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving from PC to DeWalt DWP849X after 9 years..advice and encouragement needed

I have been buffing for 9 years with a PC. I've loved the machine, even with its limitations.

I can't explain how many black cars I have perfected over the years, including my own. I did a lot of experimenting and taking huge risks on cars that I look back on now and want to throw up thinking how stupid that idea was.

I've learned some cool tricks and I have my own way of working with CCS pads and polish combos. Took a long time to figure some stuff out but it's been extremely rewarding.

I started out doing my cars only. Then slowly took on some clients.

Recently I've met the right people who talk A LOT and I've gone from 3-4 clients a month, to 5-6 a week. I've also linked up with some used car dealerships and I've been running into a lot of auction cars. Well, if you have any experience with auction cars, you know what I'm up against. Mega swirls, mega oxidation.

I operate a little different than most. I don't offer many stages. Years ago I offered a wash/clay/wax and often I would hear remarks from others that I polished a car and left all the swirls/scratches behind. Well, I didn't polish the car - but it's impossible to fight those comments and I had a real hard time convincing people I could remove them even though I had my cars right there as proof. Now I only offer full swirl removal with an agreed upon degree of scratch removal.

With a PC, yellow CCS with severe swirling and scratching, start to glaze/wax or seal could take any where from 4-8 hours. Sometimes cheating not correcting the lower half doors any further than a white pad with fine polish.

However, with my new client base, doing 5-6 auction cars a week, I'm wearing myself out using a PC. This has become my 2nd full time business and it's not paying off yet. These cars are so bad it takes 2-3 yellow pads per vehicle, I generally get 2-3 weeks out of them before they come out of shape or the backing has seen enough abuse and starts to peel. 4-8 hours for a complete car at my rate of 100-150-200 depending on how hard the paint is to work, isn't cutting it for me.

So I purchased the DeWalt DWP849X kit. My first rotary. I am looking for any tips, advice and words of encouragement. I am not afraid of the machine by any means, and well aware of what damage one can do as I've seen it first hand.

I will be using the supplied pads from the kit to start. I did order a wool pad for when I'm feeling confident.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from PC to DeWalt DWP849X after 9 years..advice and encouragement needed

Congratulations on the upgrade it will take time adjusting to the new power though just take your time, and learn the machine, even of you have to practice on a rental car then do so until you master it though if I was you ill take both my PC and rotary on detail jobs that way if you get worried for any reason your old friend is there to complete the job like old days, once again congratulations just take time and caution and you'll come out winning

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from PC to DeWalt DWP849X after 9 years..advice and encouragement needed

Are you located anywhere near Irvine, CA or Stuart, FL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Are you located anywhere near Irvine, CA or Stuart, FL?
    Or anywhere in-between? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Start out at a lower RPM (1000) stay away from curves and edges, keep the machine moving and you'll be fine.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Or anywhere in-between? Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    AGO in Stuart

Meguiar's in Irvine

Post Thanks / Like

Located in New England.

Should have everything Friday.

Some tutorials online recommend using light pressure, others say let the weight of the machine do the work. Which is it?

Post Thanks / Like

You're already comfortable with a machine in your hands and did exactly what i did some years ago i.e. learned for about 3-4 years (9 in your case) and decided i wanted to get faster and better results. The rotary did it for me but that was before forced rotation dual action machines, better and more diverse pads and more products to use. Nowadays it seems the progression is more towards those products and machines that mimic what only a rotary would do years ago. If i had it all to do over with today's offerings on the market i would absolutely opt for a Flex 3401 or Rupes. Seeing as you already have the DeWalt rotary, i am convinced it will do what you want but will need some "refinement" to get that final finish some jobs might need.

Mike P says you can't obtain a hologram/swirl free finish with a rotary. I always thought i could with my rotary but will admit to looking very closely at my final result after 100% rotary use after i read that...every time now and in direct sunlight if possible. On some paints, yes, THAT is what the customer wanted. On others? He's right.

As far as pressure...i have exerted a great deal of pressure with a wool pad and M105 on some paints with my rotary! That takes a great deal of confidence and technique and is needed sometimes. Generally, and i will say the majority of times, its light pressure and letting the forced rotation, the pad and the product do it's thing.

Like i said, you already have the DeWalt so have at it. I took the advice of so many way back when and practiced with a scrap panel years ago. That remains a very good way to get comfortable with the machine. Good luck and let us know how it goes. There may be a dwindling few left here who use rotaries but remain more than willing to help you answer any questions based on our experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

I've had the opportunity to use the flex 3401. It was nice, the issue was time. In my experience it worked better in areas where a PC struggling with rotating. But for the mangled finishes I seem to run into, it's still too slow.

I will likely use the rotary for first cut and finish down with my PC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heckhole View Post

I will likely use the rotary for first cut and finish down with my PC
    Get a Griot 6" to finish down. It will pay for itself in no time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast