autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about polishers

I have picked out a cheap DA polisher at harbor freight, 6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher , (I know it is not the best but it is what I can afford) now I just need to know what else I need in the way of polishing pads and anything else I need. Any help is appreciated because up to now all I used was my hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about polishers

Everyone says to replace that backing plate, so get a 5 inch. (I did that with my Griots as well.) As far as anything else you need, it depends on what your plans are. A good place to start if you're working just on personal cars is the LC 6 pad pack. You can choose which pads you'll need and order accordingly. You'll also need some compound/polish, but again, it depends on the level of correction you need. I'm new to this game and only work on my car and family/friends cars, but found I needed more orange pads that I originally thought. I haven't found the need for a yellow pad so far. I started with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an orange pad on my mom's sctrached/swirled/oxidized black Lexus 350 and it worked pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello mate, Glad you Did it.

I was trying to help you at your first topic and today I've noticed that discussion moved on!

If this machine you've showed has the characteristics it says, you're good to go. (Not saying it's the ideal, best choice, best polisher in the world), but the polisher is one part of the equation. You have the pad choice, polishes choice, and the greatest variable, the operator talent and will to make a good job. Fact is, you will make a great improvement regarding your 'by hand' previous experience.

I've noticed your polisher comes with a 6" backing plate. What happens if you try to use 6.5" pads for correction is you'll end up with limited capacity.

That's because 6.5" cutting pads are large and thick, also have 'harder' foam. All of these factors together will make your polisher 'bog down' with the pressure needed to keep those pads flat and spinning allowing correction. Results will be poor correction, basically much filling.

For polishing and finishing you can get some 6 - 6.5" pads (light polishing and finishing pads) because you can cover a larger area, and that will make you gain time in the finishing steps.

If possible, tell me (us) what you have regarding products. I know you have UP, maybe UC, what else? How much of each?

Backing Plate (choose 1):
    Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate, DA backing plate, backing pad

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

Smaller Backing Plate (Choose 1):
    3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

Pads:

It's nice to have at least 2 of each, I mean, 2 cutting pads, 2 polishing pads and 2 finishing pads.

With time, you'll notice it'll be better to have at least 4 cutting pads, 4 polishing pads and the same 2 finishing pads. That's because finishing doesn't require so much from the pad, and on a budget, you can move on with 1 or 2.

Say you can start with 5.5" flat pads, 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black.

If you can afford, get 1 pair of microfiber cutting discs. They will save time and allow you to correct even hard to correct paints.

That said, a fair list would be:

2 orange, 2 white, 2 black (or 1 black 1 blue if you wish to try another finishing consistency).
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

1 pair of MF cutting discs:
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads

2 tangerine polishing pads:
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

If possible (and if you get a 3 - 3.5" backing plate), get correspondents in smaller sizes for you cover all areas with the polisher.

That's just a suggestion, we can discuss the why's of my recommendation, find new suggestions based on your needs, and so on. Let's move on.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    (I know it is not the best but it is what I can afford)
    Well, it isn't a Rupes or a Flex but it is still a good quality unit for less than $60. I have used mine extensively to do both minor and major correction work. It does not struggle to get the job done and, for a weekend warrior, it's worth every penny. I just wish they would come out with a direct-drive unit similar to the Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Hello mate, Glad you Did it.

I was trying to help you at your first topic and today I've noticed that discussion moved on!

If this machine you've showed has the characteristics it says, you're good to go. (Not saying it's the ideal, best choice, best polisher in the world), but the polisher is one part of the equation. You have the pad choice, polishes choice, and the greatest variable, the operator talent and will to make a good job. Fact is, you will make a great improvement regarding your 'by hand' previous experience.

I've noticed your polisher comes with a 6" backing plate. What happens if you try to use 6.5" pads for correction is you'll end up with limited capacity.

That's because 6.5" cutting pads are large and thick, also have 'harder' foam. All of these factors together will make your polisher 'bog down' with the pressure needed to keep those pads flat and spinning allowing correction. Results will be poor correction, basically much filling.

For polishing and finishing you can get some 6 - 6.5" pads (light polishing and finishing pads) because you can cover a larger area, and that will make you gain time in the finishing steps.

If possible, tell me (us) what you have regarding products. I know you have UP, maybe UC, what else? How much of each?

Backing Plate (choose 1):
    Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate, DA backing plate, backing pad

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

Smaller Backing Plate (Choose 1):
    3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

Pads:

It's nice to have at least 2 of each, I mean, 2 cutting pads, 2 polishing pads and 2 finishing pads.

With time, you'll notice it'll be better to have at least 4 cutting pads, 4 polishing pads and the same 2 finishing pads. That's because finishing doesn't require so much from the pad, and on a budget, you can move on with 1 or 2.

Say you can start with 5.5" flat pads, 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black.

If you can afford, get 1 pair of microfiber cutting discs. They will save time and allow you to correct even hard to correct paints.

That said, a fair list would be:

2 orange, 2 white, 2 black (or 1 black 1 blue if you wish to try another finishing consistency).
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

1 pair of MF cutting discs:
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads

2 tangerine polishing pads:
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

If possible (and if you get a 3 - 3.5" backing plate), get correspondents in smaller sizes for you cover all areas with the polisher.

That's just a suggestion, we can discuss the why's of my recommendation, find new suggestions based on your needs, and so on. Let's move on.

Kind Regards.
    Ironically I just posted a new thread about this then saw it less then a minute later but truly, thanks for all the help with this. I am thinking I am just going to go without the 3in for now and I will get them later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Tato, thank you, Im in the market for some pads. really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

What do I need to clean the pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    What do I need to clean the pads?
    Any of the pad cleaners AG sells will work....but Dawn Power Clean works well, too....and you can get it at your local grocery store.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news John!

You're on your way to yet another new and enjoying hobby.

You absolutely need to go with a smaller backing plate on that machine. Really helps with keeping the pad moving. Plus, (and this is a BIG plus) the 5˝" pads are considerably more affordable. That's a win-win!

I saw mention of the tangerine pad, and of course I mentioned an orange pad as well. Both are exactly the same foam, exactly! It's the Velcro side that is a little different. The standard 'flat' pad the Velcro is as wide as the pad at the bottom. Where the "Hydro" pad is stepped in a bit at the back with a little smaller Velcro area, (which is closer in size to the actual backing plate).

As I said before, pads are where the money is. Trying to make do with 6 can happen, it's just really difficult to compound and polish with only 6 pads. Reason being; you don't know whether you'll need a yellow, orange, or white pad to do your compounding with. Then when you start polishing you'll need anywhere from a white all the way to a black pad. If that's in the CCS line you'll have white, green, blue and black, all of which can be used to polish. Notice that the white pad can be used for both compounding and polishing. BUT.... YOU CAN NOT USE THE SAME PAD FOR BOTH. Cross contamination of compound into your polish pad will ruin what you're trying to do.

Only after your pads have been thoroughly cleaned can you entertain using a compounding pad for polishing. And even then it MUST be totally dry before you start. In other words, can't just rinse it out and keep using it. Personally I'll take a sharpie and mark my orange and white pads (because both can be used for compounding as well as polishing) so that I never use either of them for both compounding and polishing duties. Pads are cheaper than redoing what you've just spent hours fixing.

As far as 'finishing' pads, really doesn't make a difference between a blue or black pad for 'polishing' and a blue or black pad for 'finishing'. Most people don't do the extra third step anyhow, which many would call 'jewelling' and will take a REALLY soft pad like red or gold (although black is plenty soft).

Anyhow, welcome on the road to your next nirvana.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Questions about polishers

Quote Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
    Great info Tato, thank you, Im in the market for some pads. really appreciate it.
    Thank you very much my friend. I really appreciate your comment.

Pads choice is somewhat trick, because when you're on a budget (like me, in Brazil 1 single pad costs the whole 6 pads kit you can buy in US)... you have to 'work smart'. 'Yeah', with 6 pads ordered here I could buy 36 'if I were you'! Think about it. Luckily AG ships to Brazil and making some $200-$300 orders makes the shipping/tax costs worth it very well.

Favorite pad, can't live without: White polishing pads. They are my go to for a first test, with M205 / UP / PO203 / XMT360.

Differently from many guys I see here (but equally to other many), I do like CCS, mostly when dealing with Meguiar's SMAT products. If you use Meguiar's UC, UP, 105, 205, you will like CCS Pads as well.

Generally, what I see is that horizontal panels (roof, hood, back), are the areas that need the most correction power. Vertical panels (side panels) can go well with a polishing pad.

This is not a rule, and don't work if you're looking for 100% correction (for 100% correction I believe you should at least wet sand the entire vehicle or get a new paint job. CORRECT me if I'm wrong, please.).

If you're dealing with daily drivers and want an 8 to 80 transformation, (you can live with some medium scratches only seen when looking closely), you can do the following:

A) Clay WELL the entire vehicle.

- Heavy polishing / compound horizontal panels (MF cutting pads, orange (CCS/Flat) cyan (HT pads)
    - Medium polishing vertical panels (white CCS or flat pad / tangerine HT pads)
    - no polishing at all on bumpers, only wax/sealant after clay (or polishing critical defects)

Following that scheme, you can do the heavy polish / compound with 2 cutting pads cleaning the pad on the fly. You can do the medium polish with 2 polishing (white LC) pads. That's my standard for lower price and daily drivers with fair correction.

On vertical panels, you can work (hard) your compound by hand on door jambs (is this where we open the door?), to remove scratches commonly seen in this area. That will make a difference.

Microfiber pads are a must have, at least the cutting pads. For finishing, I believe that foam finishes better, so you can always cut with microfiber and follow with a (even) black finishing pad. Any foam pad you follow a MF pad will improve the finish.

Proving my point of view, there's recently a Mike Phillips post where 'He' cuts with MF Rupes pads and follows with a Foam Rupes Cutting Pad. I couldn't find it now, but surely you will. A Cutting Foam Pad 'finishing for' a MF cutting Pad.

You must also risk some 6.5" polishing or finishing pads for covering more area, like I've said. But your main focus must be 5 - 5.5" pads.

I'm sorry because I can't say what I really want because I must speak in english, and write up in one single reply. Hope I made you understand my meanings.

If not, please ask, it'll be a pleasure to answer.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton