autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Find

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vintage Find

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    You say you DO have the manual?

Take a close look at all the numbers on the front/back cover, it/they may give you a clue to its' age. By just seeing that toggle switch, I'm really leaning towards the 50's.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey, my Air Force Blaster has a switch just like that! From tools that I have and looking at Bobby's polisher, I'd agree that likely that tool pre-dates the 70's and could possibly be from the 50's, but that's not a 50's cord, not with that rubber strain relief, but of course the cord could have been changed.
    I'll take photos of the manual tonight!
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Find! When I read the title, I thought you found some Zymol Vintage in a garage. That would be a nice find as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becciasm View Post
    Not sure of the exact RPM, but searching for later generation models reveals that lo speed is ~3500 RPM, Hi ~ 4200 rpm....
    BUT, in the manual, it recommends low speed for polishing paint. I guess with the trigger, one could vary the speed from 0-3500, but keeping a consistant velocity 'sweet spot' by varying a trigger is a difficult skill to master.
    Maybe down the line, to actually use this tool safely in the hands of a rotary novice (me), i can safely wire in a VFD to get speeds lower, in place of the two speed switch.

OF COURSE, this would mean tearing into a classic tool... BUT I have seen lots of these and similar for sale for cheap on ebay, etc...

Just my brain wandering...

still, maybe this could lead to a new trend, cutting major sanding marks with rotary @ 3500 rpm, 8.5" CCS red pad and Klasse AIO... ?!
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

So i put a scale to it and it definitely is not 5/8"... more like 7/16".. I'll have to figure out an adapter to fit to be able to use 5/8" pads and BP's.. this is fun.

Would a threaded insert be acceptable to increase the diameter of the spindle to 5/8"-11, thereby allowing the use of newer backing plates? Thoughts? This one, for example, is by E-Z Lok..
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try it out. Just don't try running a heavy cut 8" wool pad on the first few test runs.
    I think these style machines are still available from some manufacturers, or I could just been looking at the companies archives. I think this style would be easier on the body so you are forced to have your arms outstretched as much and at different lengths. My tendons tell me al the time that they don't like the position of modern polishers. Think I will look into a vintage setup soon. Does that mean I am getting old?lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    I would try it out. Just don't try running a heavy cut 8" wool pad on the first few test runs.
    I think these style machines are still available from some manufacturers, or I could just been looking at the companies archives. I think this style would be easier on the body so you are forced to have your arms outstretched as much and at different lengths. My tendons tell me al the time that they don't like the position of modern polishers. Think I will look into a vintage setup soon. Does that mean I am getting old?lol

We'll have to get together at some point.
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, definitely! I keep forgetting who on here is from VA/V.B. Let me know when. Today is beautiful and I couldn't get anyone scheduled so I'm knocking the dust and oil off the bike.

Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    You say you DO have the manual?

Take a close look at all the numbers on the front/back cover, it/they may give you a clue to its' age. By just seeing that toggle switch, I'm really leaning towards the 50's.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey, my Air Force Blaster has a switch just like that! From tools that I have and looking at Bobby's polisher, I'd agree that likely that tool pre-dates the 70's and could possibly be from the 50's, but that's not a 50's cord, not with that rubber strain relief, but of course the cord could have been changed.
    For your viewing pleasure...

<-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Had some free time and did some ‘googling’ and found some information.

A web site, Rose Antique Tools , has quit a few old(er) Craftsman Tool Catalogs scanned and did find your machines bigger brother, cat number 9M1150 in a 1964 edition. It is (was) a three (03) speed model. But never did fine the two speed unit.

By going to the Craftsman site I was able to find it. Some parts are still available.

It looks as if the spindle is &#189;-20. From reading the catalog, it appears that you can use a &#189;” drill chuck on it. Why? Beyond my thinking.

So it looks like it was sold in the semi-early 60’s, not like the 50’s as I thought.

OT: Anyone wanting to remember WHAT Sears use to have, tale a look back on those older catalogs, it is great. history

Bill

Thanx for putting the manual up! That was one thing great about Craftsman stuff, a good manual. Showed all the parts etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can put a drill chuck on there then you can use it as a high-speed drill. There is a standard 5/8 drill adapter available so that would allow you to use standard backing plates. Where would you get a drill chuck to fit a 1/2-20 spindle? This keeps getting better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast