autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth Upgrading to PC 7424XP?

Hi folks! I have a PC 7335 that I bought from Meg 15 years ago. It is in great shape although it seems like I have to pay more attention to keep it rotating. Seems like the weight of the machine itself will stop the rotation on a horizontal hood surface. I trimmed my 6.5" pad down to 5" and that helped a lot. Maybe it is just my imagination. I have read that the XP is easier to keep rotating but many do not like the location of the cooling fan vent. Also the XP is a little heavier.

I use my DA to apply Meg UP, UC and #7. I hand apply Meg Next Gen LSP. Do you think it is worth upgrading to the XP? I am 64 and the idea of a better machine, even a little better, is appealing. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth Upgrading to PC 7424XP?

At the current state of the art, I would look at either the Flex 3401 or the new Rupes. I upgraded from a 7424xp to the Flex and honestly there is no comparison. Less tiring and more effective because of the forced rotation. If your budget can stand it, I would pick either one of these two machines.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I do not not believe that is an upgrade. There are many others that are indeed an upgrade. Research is your friend.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Hi folks! I have a PC 7335 that I bought from Meg 15 years ago. It is in great shape although it seems like I have to pay more attention to keep it rotating. Seems like the weight of the machine itself will stop the rotation on a horizontal hood surface. I trimmed my 6.5" pad down to 5" and that helped a lot. Maybe it is just my imagination. I have read that the XP is easier to keep rotating but many do not like the location of the cooling fan vent. Also the XP is a little heavier.

I use my DA to apply Meg UP, UC and #7. I hand apply Meg Next Gen LSP. Do you think it is worth upgrading to the XP? I am 64 and the idea of a better machine, even a little better, is appealing. Thanks.

Well ol school..."age ain't nothing but a number", says the saddle tramp.
    If the 7335 is similar to the 7336, then the XP is worth it.
    15 years is a lot of miles.

Those in my circle never mention cooling vents.

EDIT: I agree that there are brands priced similar to the XP that are indeed an upgrade.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    At the current state of the art, I would look at either the Flex 3401 or the new Rupes. I upgraded from a 7424xp to the Flex and honestly there is no comparison. Less tiring and more effective because of the forced rotation. If your budget can stand it, I would pick either one of these two machines.
    +1 all the way

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post

Just watched the AutoGeek Flex video. This machine looks awesome but I am concerned about burning paint as I am just a DIYer, especially going over curved surfaces. Should I be concerned?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think burning will be a problem with the flex unless you really screw up. If your worried there is always the Griot's Garage 6" da. Its basicly the PC 7424xp with more power and the same price.

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

Either would be a worthy upgrade, it depends on how much you want to spend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Just watched the AutoGeek Flex video. This machine looks awesome but I am concerned about burning paint as I am just a DIYer, especially going over curved surfaces. Should I be concerned?
    No worries actually. Here's a link to a recent detail I did using the Flex. In fact I would argue because of the add'l cutting power you don't need to "lean into" the machine and therefore it's safer. Regardless it's a DA but with the added power of the forced rotation. If that still is a concern, look at the Rupes - but honestly I'm so happy with the Flex, I wouldn't (and not) be tempted by this new machine.

Rescuing a 2011 Black Cat - Jaguar EXTREME Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with the PC and used it for a couple years but then I upgraded..

I am amazed with my New Flex 3401
    Much faster and easier to use. I don't think burning paint would be much to worry about at this stage of your experience.

I upgrade to the Flex

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots Garage polisher is more powerful than the XP--I never have problems keeping the pad rotating and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

If I could justify it (about $350) I'd purchase the Rupes 15--it is a random orbital, but has a 15mm orbit rather than an 8mm orbit like all of the other random orbital machines.

If you read the reviews and comments it is very easy to use--with the large orbit you don't need to put pressure on the machine to do correction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast