autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my Flex PE14...

Pretty interesting putting it thru it's paces on my Z06. Pictures to come soon, but for now I'll give my perspective on this machine.

I have been using the DeWalt 849 for the last 8 years....it has seen a TON of use- buffing out hoods, cars, you name it. Never let me down. However, its very heavy and very easy to get out of balance. However, it's powerful and will easily handle whatever you throw at it.

The Flex...well right off the bat it's much smaller.....MUCH. Very easy to get in tight spots.

It's very balanced. You can easily use it with one hand and it seems to have plenty of power.. However Flex did not get it perfect in my opinion.

The soft start feature sucks, IMO. I've already had it "dead trigger" on me a couple times by pulling the trigger a couple times quickly in succession before the motor got up to speed. Might be a safety mech...not sure. But it is annoying.

The trigger/handle housing is way too thick..compared to the deWalt it's almost impossible to keep the trigger pulled down with out fatigue. For example, I ran the DeWalt for almost 4 hours last weekend and the only thing that grew weary was my left arm from supporting the weight. The Flex? I ran it for less than 20 minutes and my right hand was cramping.
    Keep in mind I have big hands...real big. Guys with smaller hands are gonna have a time with the Flex.

Am I happy with the purchase? Absolutely. It's easier to maneuver and manipulate, and the balance and sheer quality makes it worth the money.

Just wish they had done a better job with the trigger and junked the soft start feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got my Flex PE14...

Shoulda got the new Dewalt! I love it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    ... Just wish they had done a better job with the trigger and junked the soft start feature.
    I have small hands. I guess that's why the trigger has not been an issue for me. I also happen to like the soft start feature. I especially like it to do the 10 @ 10 method for picking up a bead of polish.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

You will love the handle and soft start. Coming from owing the 849, 849x, and Makita, the size, weight, and ergonomics of the PE-14 makes it really nice for cars.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

why are you holding the trigger for that long anyways? they have the trigger lock there for a reason you know.....

Mike Phillips

Am I happy with the purchase? Absolutely. It's easier to maneuver and manipulate, and the balance and sheer quality makes it worth the money.

A great rotary buffer for any procedure and especially for surgical buffing.

Surgical Buffing

The New FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Buffer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    why are you holding the trigger for that long anyways? they have the trigger lock there for a reason you know.....
    The fact you would even ask that...I'll guess I'll just say I hope you aren't buffing your car with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    A great rotary buffer for any procedure and especially for surgical buffing.

Surgical Buffing

The New FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Buffer

Mike-

ABSOLUTELY! I ordered the 3" pads to use with the tool...I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had pads smaller than 5" so I wouldn't have to use a roll of tape to keep from burning egdes or creases on the panel.

Its perfect for small bumper flats, around mirrors, and anywhere theres a small area where a 5 or 6" pad won't work.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact you would even ask that...I'll guess I'll just say I hope you aren't buffing your car with a rotary.

The following had me confused a bit too:

The trigger/handle housing is way too thick..compared to the deWalt it's almost impossible to keep the trigger pulled down with out fatigue. For example, I ran the DeWalt for almost 4 hours last weekend and the only thing that grew weary was my left arm from supporting the weight. The Flex? I ran it for less than 20 minutes and my right hand was cramping.

Keep in mind I have big hands...real big. Guys with smaller hands are gonna have a time with the Flex.

The only complaint about the trigger, for me, is that it takes some getting used to locking it. I'll pull the trigger and try to lock it and sometimes it doesn't lock. But I think the previous comment was from your description of the "dead trigger" and having to hold down "keep the trigger pulled down with out fatigue"
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

There are many of us that use the trigger lock for polishing and even more when jeweling. I've used the trigger lock on every car for the last 20+ years.

There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast