autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought my first Makita 9227C and need some advice...

Folks,

I could use a little help. During the New Year's Eve sale I finally broke down and purchased quite a few new tools. With this being my first rotary polisher I really do not know what pads to buy. Currently I have the 6.5" and 4" CCS pads. These are used with my Griot's and Flex ROP's.

Just guide me to pads you have found to work for you. Please be specific in the particular brands, wool and foam, as well as the size(s). Include the backing plates too.

Since it has gotten colder here in Memphis I will not be detailing as much and have time to practice. My guess is to go to a body shop and try to pick up a hood and a fender for practice. Any advice on body panels to practice on will be greatly appreciated.

Products include Optimum compound, polish and finish polish. Meguiar's 105 and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and Super Finish round out the inventory. Advice on the products you prefer with a rotary will be appreciated as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought my first Makita 9227C and need some advice...

bump

Post Thanks / Like

I have the dewalt 849x and bought the Megs W66 backing plate to fit my 6.5" CCS pads (bought prior to owning the rotary). I also have 3" backing plates (one from the spot buffs kit and the Optimum bp) to fit 3" Optimum MF pads as well as the 4" CCS. Although the 3" (2 3/4") bp is quite small for the 4" CCS pads.

So far, I feel that the CCS pads seem too thick and prefer using the flat pads (meguiars soft buff 2.0, griots orange/red, and LC flat 5.5 x 7/8).

Post Thanks / Like

Only one answer? Come on folks. I know quite a few of you use rotaries.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend a 3M 09553/09627 backing plate. It's 5" diameter and can be used with pads 5"-6.5".

I use Buff and Shine 5.5" pads (yellow, green, black) and Lake Country flat pads. The 5.5" pads aren't nearly as thick as the 6.5 inch.

Never been a fan of CCS pads, not sure if those were meant for rotaries. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

As far as backing plates the flex backing plate is my go to plate and most of the time I stick to 5 or 5.5 inch pads.

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, circular polisher backing plate, backing pad

And I have a 6" LC backing plate.

6 Inch Rotary Backing Plate Use this backing plate with the Lake Country 7.5 inch pads. The 6 inch backing plate fits perfectly into this recess so

as well as a bigger plate for RV's and such I use the 7" backing plate

Optimum Opti-Flex 7 Inch Rotary Backing Plate, circular backing plate, flexible backing plate

I use a rotary and a DA for full corrections so I like pads that I can use on both machines. I have had good results with the constant pressure pads and if you are new to rotary they will help you balance the machine. I stick to the non CCS pads. Just flat bottom.

Constant Pressure Technology by Lake Country Pads, Constant pressure pads, Hi-Gloss Pads

As far as products go for rotary I stick to the whole Optimum line. I use the compound and polish. When I need a little more cut I stick to the Menzerna line.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3m euro backing plate with 5.5" ccs flat pads on my makita with great success. I really like the optimum line because they do not dust like others.
    Jon Miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the flex 5" bp along with 5.5 lc CCS pads and optimum hyper compound and polishes. Works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kihei_89 View Post
    I use the flex 5" bp along with 5.5 lc CCS pads and optimum hyper compound and polishes. Works great for me.
    where'd you get the Flex BP? I couldn't find any that were in 5/8. They all seem to be M14 (14mm)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    where'd you get the Flex BP? I couldn't find any that were in 5/8. They all seem to be M14 (14mm)
    This one, Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, mentioned by Roland (Rav777), above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast