autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting kit for a beginner

Hey guys

Just got my first polisher machine (makita 9227c), i know is not a good move to start "detailing" with a makita but i got it for really cheap brand new.

Now my question is whats a good kit to start with (pads/products) for a beginner?

Ill will be practicing on my beater for the whole canadian winter before i move into my summer car.This is the kit i was looking at Advanced Curved Edge 8.5” Foam Pad Kit

thanks!!

PS: Ill add some of the pics my friend took after working on my car.

Last edited by NiSyam; 12-12-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting kit for a beginner

By the pix, looks like you already have some Menzerna products and have started buffing and if your friend did that for you, might want to check to see what he used and start with that as it's it's not that bad of a job. If that's a daily driver, probably a waste of time & paint trying to do much more than you're buddy has already done for you, are you getting some junk panels to practice on?

If you are looking for something more, you might post more details. Is this the car you're trying to get right or another one. Either way, a better detailed explaintion of what you're try to accomplish would help.

The Meg's twin's are really good with a combination of the LCS pads. The Menzerna products which again looks like you have are good as well. If you go to the Menzerna product link they do a pretty good job of making pad recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner question

I found this kit to be very user friendly while working with the makita as a newbie. The Edge 2000 6 Inch DA Pads: The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads will change the way you think about buffing pads.

though you would also be needing this Edge 2000 Drive Adapter 5/8" Thread for rotary polishers, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi professional polishers The Edge polisher adapter, edge pads adapter,

These pads are a joy to use with the Makita and are still my go to pads many many cars later.

Just my oppinion, Hope it helps, TD

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

I'm not sure if you just made a mistake but you might have better luck not repeating the similiar posts. If you felt the other one was in the wrong board, you can ask the Moderators to move it for you.

Here's your other post.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-beginner.html

To your question, here's a link to some pad kits to choose from.

Foam / Wool Pads & Accessories for Rotary/Circular Polishers

Since you'll find, the majority of results are based on technique, it might help if you post what you hope to accomplish with your rotary. Then hopefully you'll get a kit suggestion with the color of pads and combinations of compounds and polishes to use to try and realize your goals.

Congrats on your new purchase. One thing I can say from experience is you'll be way better off if you go to a local body shop, get a junk panel and order yourself a nice variety of pads and test on the junk panel until you get the hang of the rotary.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country 8.5" Pads are perfect for that polisher, you will be happy with that choice.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    Welcome

I'm not sure if you just made a mistake but you might have better luck not repeating the similar posts. If you felt the other one was in the wrong board, you can ask the Moderators to move it for you.

Here's your other post.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-beginner.html
    Thanks for pointing this out Frosty, I merged the two threads and then removed the duplicate post.