autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81
  1. #11
    Senior Member SRHTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Harlingen, TX
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    but its not the wool i am having issue with , i already removed the compound swirls but the polish created new swirls. ... um... yeah..


    btw if i use the finish stuff with the gray pad then the blue pad how would that be different from doing what i already did? are they different grades of cutting? the pads and the polish? i do not understand.


    im sorry i am just really frustrated i have had a hell of a week so far, and i just want to finish my car i been working on it for almost 3 weeks now just sanding and pollishing
    Will you be there in SA for Thanksgiving? If so, please e-mail me. I could bring some of my toys up there if you wish and we could work on your Mazda. I really would love to see your RX-8. Looks AWSOME!!!!!
    The Auto Spa of the Rio Grande Valley
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr / (956) 357-1032 – Cell/Text / AutoSpaRGV@gmail.com

  2. #12
    Senior Member StephenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Posts
    1,588

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    nothing arong with using all 3M products, my thinking is maybe you are not working the product long enough or using to much. i know when i use my rotary ending with the grey foam never leaves/adds swirls marks. i very seldomly "have" to use the blue pad.

  3. #13
    SELF BANNED ASPHALT ROCKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    The yellow to gray is too big of a jump. What has happened is when you used their swirl remover, which has a ton of fillers, with the gray pad you removed what was filled making you think the gray pad caused your misery. When you polish you have to do it baby steps not a giant step from yellow to gray. Also there is no need to go from wool to yellow, you are actually making it worse. The wool is going to the level the paint better and give yo a better surface to work with. You will need to get a few white pads to shorten up your steps and leave the yellow out of your steps. So in the end what you did is actually fill the swirls while using the yellow pad and then when you jumped to gray it could not remove/fill the larger swirls made by the yellow pad. this is why you thought the gray pad caused your problem.

  4. #14
    Member T Riddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    95

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    The yellow to gray is too big of a jump. What has happened is when you used their swirl remover, which has a ton of fillers, with the gray pad you removed what was filled making you think the gray pad caused your misery. When you polish you have to do it baby steps not a giant step from yellow to gray. Also there is no need to go from wool to yellow, you are actually making it worse. The wool is going to the level the paint better and give yo a better surface to work with. You will need to get a few white pads to shorten up your steps and leave the yellow out of your steps. So in the end what you did is actually fill the swirls while using the yellow pad and then when you jumped to gray it could not remove/fill the larger swirls made by the yellow pad. this is why you thought the gray pad caused your problem.

    Get some more/Dif pads.

  5. #15
    Senior Member 87rx7chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    Will you be there in SA for Thanksgiving? If so, please e-mail me. I could bring some of my toys up there if you wish and we could work on your Mazda. I really would love to see your RX-8. Looks AWSOME!!!!!
    yeah i will be here. im right inside 1604 and i-10 i would love to get some help. its all ready!

    Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    The yellow to gray is too big of a jump. What has happened is when you used their swirl remover, which has a ton of fillers, with the gray pad you removed what was filled making you think the gray pad caused your misery. When you polish you have to do it baby steps not a giant step from yellow to gray. Also there is no need to go from wool to yellow, you are actually making it worse. The wool is going to the level the paint better and give yo a better surface to work with. You will need to get a few white pads to shorten up your steps and leave the yellow out of your steps. So in the end what you did is actually fill the swirls while using the yellow pad and then when you jumped to gray it could not remove/fill the larger swirls made by the yellow pad. this is why you thought the gray pad caused your problem.
    well i used the wool then the yellow with the same compound. i can go buy a white pad for 12$ tomorrow no problem. maybe because it was so cold the paint didnt heat up enough to work with it good enough....

    i was told by the shop that i should use the wool then the yellow foam , but the shop never told me anything further cuz i didnt get that far @ the shop. i took my project home .

    it is very possible that i did not work the product well enough. i was getting tired the sun had set, and it was getting COLD

  6. #16
    SELF BANNED ASPHALT ROCKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    yeah i will be here. im right inside 1604 and i-10 i would love to get some help. its all ready!


    well i used the wool then the yellow with the same compound. i can go buy a white pad for 12$ tomorrow no problem. maybe because it was so cold the paint didnt heat up enough to work with it good enough....

    i was told by the shop that i should use the wool then the yellow foam , but the shop never told me anything further cuz i didnt get that far @ the shop. i took my project home .

    it is very possible that i did not work the product well enough. i was getting tired the sun had set, and it was getting COLD
    You could have not broken the polish down enough, but you are going backwards by using the yellow pad after the wool. That is incorrect information. Use your wool, get a pad inbetween the wool and gray/blue pad. Like I said you have to slowly and in small steps decrease the size of the marring. Also you have to take into account that the swirl remover from 3M fills a ton. The only decent polish they make is the Extra-cut and Ultrafina/Ultrafine. If you could pick up something locally I would suggest getting some 205 as a middle step to truely remove the marring from the wool pad.

  7. #17
    Senior Member sullysdetailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.

    what is wrong, what should i do?


    edit: will the 3m paste wax fill in these swirls?
    Going from wool to yellpw is not ok. You should go from wool to orange. But going from that to grey is to big of a gap. You need a white pad after the yellow. Also try working the product a little more with the yellow or orange pad then you will spend a little less time with the white pad. But going from yellow to grey is way to big of a jump.
    Last edited by sullysdetailing; 11-17-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

  8. #18
    Senior Member 87rx7chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    You could have not broken the polish down enough, but you are going backwards by using the yellow pad after the wool. That is incorrect information. Use your wool, get a pad inbetween the wool and gray/blue pad. Like I said you have to slowly and in small steps decrease the size of the marring. Also you have to take into account that the swirl remover from 3M fills a ton. The only decent polish they make is the Extra-cut and Ultrafina/Ultrafine. If you could pick up something locally I would suggest getting some 205 as a middle step to truely remove the marring from the wool pad.
    on the bottle it clearly states it has no fillers. i am not filling anything and i never said i did. what i said was i was using the wax to fill it in (i tested it in one 2x2 area) maybe thats what you mis-understood.

    i could be wrong or 3m could be mis-informing me that they have no filler in their polish for dark. but i am not saying i ever filled anything. never removed the swirls.

    i dont think i did break down the polish enough. i have never been taught in person how to use it. so i guess i will try again tomorrow when its warmer. maybe the cold was the issue?

    i'll browse and try to find something on polishing.

    oh ya and i never used a "swirl remover" just perfect-it and
    finesse-it

  9. #19
    SELF BANNED ASPHALT ROCKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    Going from wool to yellpw is ok. You can even go from wool to orange. But going from yellow to gray is to big of a gap. You need a white pad after the yellow. Also try working the product a little more with the yellow or orange pad then you will spend a little less time with the white pad. But going from yellow to grey is way to big of a jump.
    Actually going from wool to yellow is going backwards, so no it's not o.k. The wool cuts and levels the paint better than the yellow and will ruin what the wool has done as far as being a better surface to start with.

    Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    on the bottle it clearly states it has no fillers. i am not filling anything and i never said i did. what i said was i was using the wax to fill it in (i tested it in one 2x2 area) maybe thats what you mis-understood.

    i could be wrong or 3m could be mis-informing me that they have no filler in their polish for dark. but i am not saying i ever filled anything. never removed the swirls.

    i dont think i did break down the polish enough. i have never been taught in person how to use it. so i guess i will try again tomorrow when its warmer. maybe the cold was the issue?

    i'll browse and try to find something on polishing.

    oh ya and i never used a "swirl remover" just perfect-it and
    finesse-it
    I understand what the bottle says and I understand the polish might not have been broken down enough,but it is well known that the 3M swirl removers fill instead of remove marring and swirls. Think about it why do you think the gray pad showed the marring. Re-read what I said above and that will explain what has happened.

  10. #20
    Senior Member 87rx7chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128

    Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post


    I understand what the bottle says and I understand the polish might not have been broken down enough,but it is well known that the 3M swirl removers fill instead of remove marring and swirls. Think about it why do you think the gray pad showed the marring. Re-read what I said above and that will explain what has happened.
    im sorry i am having a hard time concentrating i have alot of anxiety from this failure along with a few other things going on in the last few days (roomate didnt pay rent dog is sick and reptiles are sick and i am sick )

    fun times

    so, your catagorizing my stuff as swirl removers? they say finishing on them.

    the marring you speek of, you say its showing up because i am removing fillers? that doesnt make sence i never said it ever fixed the swirls. im saying it wont remove them.

    my head hurts im sorry...


    btw i was told that wool is more harsh then foam because the wool hairs each make cuts into the paint and the yellow (which is ment for compound) is ment to reduce the cuts the wool made.

    either way i am driving it to the paint store tomorrow to have them look at it. i think tonight i am to burnt out, have to much anxiety, and i just need to go rest and start fresh tomorrow.... my head really does hurt just trying to think about this..

    and for the record. i did list all the products i had, all the foam heads i had, and the possess i wwas doing in my previous post. why didnt any one catch the problem?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 10:01 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-29-2014, 06:21 AM
  3. Is my wash process still causing swirls?
    By olenderc in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2014, 11:32 PM
  4. The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls, Micro-Marring, DA Haze & Tick Marks
    By Mike Phillips in forum Hot topics & Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 07:48 AM
  5. 23 YEAR OLD swirls on top of swirls - 88' Red Honda Civic pix/vids
    By Wills.WindowsAndWheels in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» March 2017

262728 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1