autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Rotary to go with?

Well its time for another rotary as my dewalt burned out just as I started getting really good with it (got it used for free so cant complain)Now im not sure what to upgrade to.

A little background information. I'm a state trooper during the day but detail 1-3 cars per week I will use the rotary probably every 3rd car or so as most of my customers are repeats since i wont take on many new ones ( i simply dont have the time)

Of course everyone says the metabo is the best of the best but for how often i use it the lighter weight will not make a ton of difference to me...but is it much smoother then the flex rotary or the makita to make it worth the extra cash... and also how does the flex compare to the metabo and makita. Thanks in advance for the help.
    2002 trans am ws6 black on black modded but never finished

1993 full size blazer 2dr with a 383 stroker and custom sound system 3inch lift

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Rotary to go with?

Had the metabo. Didn't really like it. Sold it after 4 months of having it. Just get the makita or hitachi. You'll see more pros on this forums use te makita.
    Well .... lets just say that a new Ferrari 430 Spyder was delivered to me last week. In that week I would have drove it by all those previous girlfriends who said I would never make it

Post Thanks / Like

I have a metabo, hatachi and a DeWalt. I love the metabo. The hatachi is nice for the money. I have not had much luck with makita power tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a DeWalt, a Metabo, and a Dynabrade. The DeWalt is a little too heavy for this old man. The Metabo is super light weight but I have grown to dislike the on/off switch and location of the rpm control wheel.

So, it's the Dynabrade. Lighter by a pound or 2 than DeWalt and is built just as rugged. I found out that a lot of car auction detailers use them daily for years...it's definitely 1 tough machine.

Finally, I don't know a single thing about the Makita or Hitachi.

Toto

Super Member Driven Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently have 3 rotaries. The Metabo, the Makita, and the Flex.

I like the weight of the Metabo, however, I don't like that the location of the switch and speed dial. I don't like that there is no trigger. For these reasons, I'm in the process of selling it.

The Makita is tried and true. You can't go wrong with this machine. Has a nice feel to it and it's not overly heavy.

The Flex is very very light-weight. I have only used it on one car but I really liked it because of the weight factor. The speed dial is set in a good location where you're right hand thumb can adjust it on the fly. It also has the trigger.

Out of the 3 that I have, I'd recommend the Makita and then the Flex. The Makita has a strong reputation so that's why I'd rank it over the Flex.
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Flex rotary ??? I have the Htachi and that would likely be my replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    What about the Flex rotary ??? I have the Htachi and that would likely be my replacement.
    That is what im leaning towards as the metabo doesnt seem to be worth the price to me and even though the makita is tried and true the flex appears that it maybe easier to use due to its lighter weight hopfully someone will chime in with some more information on it
    2002 trans am ws6 black on black modded but never finished

1993 full size blazer 2dr with a 383 stroker and custom sound system 3inch lift

Super Member Driven Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Flex rotary (well, one of them) and it's uber-light. It's actually lighter than the orbital Flex. It's great for working on vertical panels.
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach View Post
    I use a DeWalt, a Metabo, and a Dynabrade. The DeWalt is a little too heavy for this old man. The Metabo is super light weight but I have grown to dislike the on/off switch and location of the rpm control wheel.

So, it's the Dynabrade. Lighter by a pound or 2 than DeWalt and is built just as rugged. I found out that a lot of car auction detailers use them daily for years...it's definitely 1 tough machine.

Finally, I don't know a single thing about the Makita or Hitachi.

Toto
    Richard..which model of Dynabrade do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Makita. I've used a DeWalt a few times and like the Makita better. One thing that I did - and this made a world of difference, was to take the handle off. I just use my left hand on the top of the spindal, even has these little grooves for your fingers on the underside, and use my right hand on the trigger. I think CMA has this technique on one of their how to sections now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast