autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rotary users

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary users

I'm looking for anybodys opinion on compounding and polishing pads for my good ole dewalt rotary. In the past ive used cheaper pads and then switched to 3m wool and foam a couple years back. I like the pads but not so much the price...30 to 45 bucks a pop depending on wich ones. Ive been looking at the lake country ccs pads on the AG site and wanted to know if anyone has them or used them on a rotary? For 70 or so bucks for a 6 pack of my choice sounds like a good deal to me! Any other brands anyones been happy with? Any opinions would be awesome..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary users

I've used the 3D/Tuf Buff black wool pads with rotary. They are great. I've also used Buff and Shine foam pads (the white is great) with great success too. I use 5'' pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lake Country Hybrids/Hydro-techs/Flat pads on my PE14.

I don't use anything over 6.5-7" on a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second Mike's suggestion and say my favorites are the LC Hybrids on both my Hitachi rotary AND my new Flex 3401. Very substantial construction and i like what feels to me like a denser foam for forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I just realized those hybrid pads can be used on a rotary or d.a. wich is cool. I didnt even know people used 6 inch backing plate on rotarys. So im using a 6.5 pad with the 6 inch plate correct? Any suggestions on backing plate? Have any of you guys used a microfiber cutting pad on a rotary or is the wool im use to using the way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmobile85 View Post
    So im using a 6.5 pad with the 6 inch plate correct? Any suggestions on backing plate? Have any of you guys used a microfiber cutting pad on a rotary or is the wool im use to using the way to go?
    The Hybrid 6.5" pads will require a smaller plate as the Velcro material is 5.5" All the other pads in 6.5" format will use a 6" plate.

MF is VERY grabby on a rotary not to mention it can not offer the amount of cut that a wool pad can provide. Stick with a wool pad if you need extra bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Tuf Buff and PFW pads but when you need some real cut I like the Megs Solo maroon wool or the W5000 double sided wool. I find that pretty much all the foam pads from Megs, LC, or B&S work well. I prefer flat pads but some of the CCS, Hex-Logic, or waffle style pads will offer a better "feel".
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I like the Tuf Buff and PFW pads but when you need some real cut I like the Megs Solo maroon wool or the W5000 double sided wool. I find that pretty much all the foam pads from Megs, LC, or B&S work well. I prefer flat pads but some of the CCS, Hex-Logic, or waffle style pads will offer a better "feel".
    Ya ive always used waffle style foam pads but i have used flat pads before. Just one more thing to get use to i guess. Im always up to broadening my detail skills and knowledge!

Post Thanks / Like

I still like the Meguiar's W4000 for cutting. It's a big pad though. I'm gonna try their Maroon wool pads that Rasky uses. As far as foam, I use my Hex Logic pads.

I used to use the Meguiar's foam pads a long time ago. I suppose I'd like to use them again.