autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG Spinning Issue

Question on my new GG 6". I have the backing plate marked so I can see if it's spinning. I have noticed that when I try to clean the pads "on the fly" it doesn't spin...at all. I thought maybe it was because the pad wasn't flat, so I put the towel on the flat table and as soon as I press down, it stops spinning. I have been pretty much unable to clean the pads at all.

Other issue I had is I decided to see how the removal of the wax would go with the sheepskin pad and microfiber over the top of it. As soon as it touches the paint, it stops spinning. I usually buff off with my hand/microfiber but I wants to try that method. I didn't really care, but why would it not spin at all with any type of pressure? As far as I know, the pads for the product application are spinning okay so what's the deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG Spinning Issue

Do you have the spacer washer installed on the backing plate? What speed are you using??

Post Thanks / Like

I was at full speed for polishing. I was at 3 when I tried the removal. Not sure what the spacing plate is ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    Question on my new GG 6". I have the backing plate marked so I can see if it's spinning. I have noticed that when I try to clean the pads "on the fly" it doesn't spin...at all. I thought maybe it was because the pad wasn't flat, so I put the towel on the flat table and as soon as I press down, it stops spinning. I have been pretty much unable to clean the pads at all.

Other issue I had is I decided to see how the removal of the wax would go with the sheepskin pad and microfiber over the top of it. As soon as it touches the paint, it stops spinning. I usually buff off with my hand/microfiber but I wants to try that method. I didn't really care, but why would it not spin at all with any type of pressure? As far as I know, the pads for the product application are spinning okay so what's the deal?
    The spacer he refers to is referred to as a compression washer
    Lake Country Compression Washers 5-Pack

The washer provides a small amount of space between the backing plate and the shroud of the polisher. If friction exists between the both then any down pressure will make the BP stop spinning (while the oscillation remains). Have you inspected the BP for any signs of contact with the shroud? Have you inspected the counter balance mechanism to make sure you don't have a broken spindle (which did happen to me once)? Have you contacted Griot? (since they have a lifetime warranty and they are great at fixing issues)

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I was at full speed for polishing. I was at 3 when I tried the removal. Not sure what the spacing plate is ?
    As Dr Pain indicated the washer is just that--a compression washer the fits on the BP spindle before installing it on the polisher. It keeps the BP away from the shroud and the inner workings of the polisher.

Speed 3 could be your issue. You can stop the spinning on even a Griots polisher at speed 3. Also, if you're using a 6-7" wool pad covered with a bonnet to remove LSP that is allot of mass for even the GG to be moving so the higher speed may be the trick.

I clean on the fly at speed 5 or 6 and don't have any problems with my GG stopping.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add that speed setting #6 is for hard to correct spots and NOT to be used for a longish period of time, trust me, you'll warm that pad up so much that the center can come apart

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha. Thanks guys. I'll be calling Griots anyway, the spindle broke off today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    The spacer he refers to is referred to as a compression washer
    Lake Country Compression Washers 5-Pack

The washer provides a small amount of space between the backing plate and the shroud of the polisher. If friction exists between the both then any down pressure will make the BP stop spinning (while the oscillation remains). Have you inspected the BP for any signs of contact with the shroud? Have you inspected the counter balance mechanism to make sure you don't have a broken spindle (which did happen to me once)? Have you contacted Griot? (since they have a lifetime warranty and they are great at fixing issues)

So do I need to pick up a set of these washers? I got a new polisher and I am noticing that if the polisher is not 100% flat, it stops spinning. It is 100% flat only a small portion of the time and is usually the roof and hood. Will the washer help this?

Post Thanks / Like

So do I need to pick up a set of these washers? I got a new polisher and I am noticing that if the polisher is not 100% flat, it stops spinning. It is 100% flat only a small portion of the time and is usually the roof and hood. Will the washer help this?
    if you bought a backing plate seperately or the polisher, it should already come with a washer. you need it on there so it doesn't rub and potentially damage the backing plate and/or spindle on the DA...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you bought a backing plate seperately or the polisher, it should already come with a washer. you need it on there so it doesn't rub and potentially damage the backing plate and/or spindle on the DA...
    I am using the original backing plate. I used it as it came out of the box. I guess I am still confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast