autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    So you are doing a test spot on the repainted Trans Am and even with the M105 and orange pad you're not getting correction? When you say you tried all the products at your disposal, you cleaned the pad each time?
    Yes, I am doing a test spot every time, and I didn't get any correction for some reason. Yes, I cleaned the pad each time. I cleaned the pad by holding a Terry cloth to it, then I put the pad under some hot water, and from the center out, pushed the excess product out. To dry the pad I put them in from of my dehumidifier at home to pull the water out. If it helps at all, but every time I use my pads, I always tend to get a dish shape in the center of the pad. I will probably have to take a picture to better describe it.

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Did you clay the car first?
    The trans am I haven't clay bared, mostly because I have never done it before. The black car I have never put clay on either for fear of hurting the paint. A friend who is a painter showed me how to use lacquer thinner on the car without taking the paint off. So I have always done that, even though I know some people will not like the fact I just said that haha.

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by evob View Post
    Yes, I am doing a test spot every time, and I didn't get any correction for some reason. Yes, I cleaned the pad each time. I cleaned the pad by holding a Terry cloth to it, then I put the pad under some hot water, and from the center out, pushed the excess product out. To dry the pad I put them in from of my dehumidifier at home to pull the water out. If it helps at all, but every time I use my pads, I always tend to get a dish shape in the center of the pad. I will probably have to take a picture to better describe it.

-Brant
    What size backing plate and pads. The dish shape has me thinking the pad and backplate are not sized to each other correctly.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evob View Post
    The trans am I haven't clay bared, mostly because I have never done it before. The black car I have never put clay on either for fear of hurting the paint. A friend who is a painter showed me how to use lacquer thinner on the car without taking the paint off. So I have always done that, even though I know some people will not like the fact I just said that haha.

-Brant
    That explains why your pad turned black. Just imagine all that dirt and crud on the pad grinding against your paint. That's why you need to clay before you polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    What size backing plate and pads. The dish shape has me thinking the pad and backplate are not sized to each other correctly.

Ed
    The backing pad is 6 inch and the pads are 6.5 inch. Been trying to use the same size stuff that I got from the kit on the first day, thinking nothing could go wrong then haha

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    That explains why your pad turned black. Just imagine all that dirt and crud on the pad grinding against your paint. That's why you need to clay before you polish.
    Right, I agree that's probably why the pad becomes black. But like I said I lacquer thinner the car, which is a more harsh clay bar method. Or at least that's what I have been told, but I'm still a noob so I'll believe just about anything haha

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know what you mean with the dish plate. I know with my PC7424XP, it would not be able to handle 6.5" pads and maintain speed... not sure about the GG.

Like the others said, clay barring is very important. If you arent claying, you are going to be putting a bunch of swirls into your car. I HIGHLY recommend doing the baggy test - I wasnt a believer til i actually tried it. Once you feel all the grit through the bag, you'll be thinking you're sanding the car instead of polishing/correcting it.

Like some of the others on here, I am a noob as well. Since I'm worried about taking off too much clear, I usually prime my pads by putting a spray or two of quick detailer on it, and rub it with my hand, then 4-5 drops of compound.

Are you going with 3-4 passes with hard pressure and 2-3 with lighter pressure? That's usually what i do (ive only used Meg's UC so far though... like i said... im a noob).

Any pictures yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    I think I know what you mean with the dish plate. I know with my PC7424XP, it would not be able to handle 6.5" pads and maintain speed... not sure about the GG.

Like the others said, clay barring is very important. If you arent claying, you are going to be putting a bunch of swirls into your car. I HIGHLY recommend doing the baggy test - I wasnt a believer til i actually tried it. Once you feel all the grit through the bag, you'll be thinking you're sanding the car instead of polishing/correcting it.

Like some of the others on here, I am a noob as well. Since I'm worried about taking off too much clear, I usually prime my pads by putting a spray or two of quick detailer on it, and rub it with my hand, then 4-5 drops of compound.

Are you going with 3-4 passes with hard pressure and 2-3 with lighter pressure? That's usually what i do (ive only used Meg's UC so far though... like i said... im a noob).

Any pictures yet?
    I have to admit, I love my GG. Out of the megs, GG, and another one which I can't remember for some reason, the GG stood out with the lifetime warenty (I have,bad luck anyways) and if I remember right it played down a little more power. But don't quote me cuz that was several months ago haha. But the megs was a close second and I read so much on the two and watching so many videos too.
    I'll have to look up the baggy test and give it a shot. I've,never heard of such a thing before. But I'm extremely curious about it now hahaha.
    What kind of compound are you using? The megs, or 3m or something like that?
    When I buff the car I do 4 passes in the pattern that is the vertical stripes the horizontal after. It is hard to say what my pressure is because everyone has different opinions and I get tired after a while haha. But I use the weight of the buffer and lean into it a little bit. I would say it's enough weight to shut a hood (a hood that holds itself up, like the old car heavy hoods).
    Would you recommend the mother California gold clay bar kit? As a kit to start out with?
    I have pictures of my black car, I don't think the pictures are very good or how much help they will be But I'll give them to you guys and I can always get more.

-Brant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?-uploadfromtaptalk1406605088684-jpg   GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?-uploadfromtaptalk1406605099716-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I think it might help if you go back to square one and get the paint clean. Do a wash with Dawn dishwashing soap (since it is easy to get). Then clay the car. Mothers, Meguiars, or Griot's are all fine choices and can be found at local auto stores. Make sure and get a clay lube...it should be with/near the clay. Or you can buy a clay kit that includes the lube. Watch a few videos on how to clay your car and then go to it. Don't worry if you mar the paint a little bit, the correction/polishing stage(s) will take care of that. I have 3 black cars and always get a couple spots each detail where I mar the paint a little bit. Always comes out in the polishing stage.

I would be willing to bet you will get better results if you are starting with clean paint.

Another note, find a sealant to use so there will be no need to wax your car every weekend. The less you touch the paint, the less chance you will have to scratch the paint. Right now you are waxing dirty paint and that is only scratching more. Plus, you aren't getting a good bond with the paint which means you aren't getting optimal protection from the wax.

I could go on and on, but I would recommend spending a couple hours each night for a full week in the "detailing how-to" link at the top of this page. Read and watch videos.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Brant,
    I'll have to look up the baggy test and give it a shot.
    Here is Mike's youtube video on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml434m7ILNA

What kind of compound are you using?
    - Since I'm still new, I use Meg's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish combo. It lasts a long time when compounding (i hear that m105 dusts sometimes).

When I buff the car I do 4 passes in the pattern that is the vertical stripes the horizontal after.
    - One thing I usually do for consistency is alternate the patterns. So, you have your 2'x2' square (or whatever size you currently use - hopefully not bigger than 2x2), and I start by doing overlapping passes, up/down/up/down (from left to right on the square) until the whole section has been compounded (that's 1 pass), then I go left/right/left/right (from top to bottom or bottom to top) - thats the 2nd pass. I usually then do another pass or two with the same pressure. then I finishd it off by doing another 3 passes with barely any additional pressure.

I would say it's enough weight to shut a hood (a hood that holds itself up, like the old car heavy hoods).
    - I believe that most people recommend 12-15LBS of pressure including the machine, so maybe 7-10lbs of additional hand pressure in addition to the machine. I usually just judge my pressure by how fast my pad is actually spinning, if i notice its going slow, I ease up.

Would you recommend the mother California gold clay bar kit? As a kit to start out with?

- The only bars ive used are Clay Magic (old one before i got to this forum), and Meguiars. I like the Meguiars a lot... havent used mothers. I heard Griots is another good OTC product as well. Make sure you keep the pad/car lubed up well so the clay glides on the surface. I think claying should help a bit

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast