autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Jeweling paint" 3 step polish?

The term "jeweling the paint", would that mean compounding, polishing, then final polishing with a finish pad, then applying wax/sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is Killr's coined term. He'll be round to tell you its definition.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeweling means using finishing polish like XMT1 or SSR1 first on white pad, then on grey finishing. Blacks really benefit from it.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you looked up jeweling in the dictionary(under killerwheels he would agree the process is the same ..he the responsible for giving the process its definition..

Depending how much cotting you need to do..if you use a heavy SMR or cutting pad you need to continue to step down with your pad and polish to elimanate the marring caused when cutting deeper swirls/scratches..

Example:Of course this depends on the abrasiveness of the product .02

Yellow LC
    Orange LC
    White polishing pad LC
    when using the LC white pad with OP or menzerna FPII you can probably finish down to a LSP when using any of the two polishes,or SSR 1..
    Last edited by joe.p; 11-03-2006 at 12:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1.a polished precious paint 2.a fashioned vehicle for personal adornment, esp. of a precious black vett set with wheels. 3.a precious possession. 4.a person or thing that is treasured, esteemed, or indispensable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the term jeweling, and again found the term while having my wifes diamond/platnium ring being polished. The jeweler took a polish (rouge) and went to town. Wiped it down and washed it. It looked much better, he then went back to it with a light finishing polish and really amped it up to another level of beauty.

I noticed by taking the same time to do this with a cars finish you can add another level of brightness and reflection. Truly geming or jeweling the finish. Most of the polishes I use on car break down quite well and CAN be used as a one step polish due to their dimishing abrasives. I still go one extra step and repolish with a finishing pad (grey) / finishing polish (FP, or FPII) at a very high speed on the PC. The other benefit is any light micromarring or small swirling I missed I might have reduced. A win -win !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to tell you the car looks pic perfect in your avatar. I like you idea of jeweling the surface therfor this makes you a real Gem

btw,if the diamonds get old can you toss a few this way,you know like we do products

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I love the term jeweling, and again found the term while having my wifes diamond/platnium ring being polished. The jeweler took a polish (rouge) and went to town. Wiped it down and washed it. It looked much better, he then went back to it with a light finishing polish and really amped it up to another level of beauty.

I noticed by taking the same time to do this with a cars finish you can add another level of brightness and reflection. Truly geming or jeweling the finish. Most of the polishes I use on car break down quite well and CAN be used as a one step polish due to their dimishing abrasives. I still go one extra step and repolish with a finishing pad (grey) / finishing polish (FP, or FPII) at a very high speed on the PC. The other benefit is any light micromarring or small swirling I missed I might have reduced. A win -win !
    Hey Scott! I really wanna see a full picture of that jewelled Vette you havein your avatar. Can you please post it when you get a chance?
    Thanks in advance.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    Hey Scott! I really wanna see a full picture of that jewelled Vette you havein your avatar. Can you please post it when you get a chance?
    Thanks in advance.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Vette looks great, thats what I'm trying to do. Scott you said the gray pad, would this be the white edge pad? so you would end up polishing three times if you use a compound on the first pass?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast