autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GG 6", Megs G110v2, or Flex 3401

Hi Everyone!

I need some suggestion on which machine to get. Its been awhile since I have detailed cars as I have been busy with school. I had a cyclo for a few years but sold it off once I went to graduate school. Ill be off for a week for spring break and would like to take this opportunity to polish my car, something I have not done for a few years.

I really like the reviews I have read on the Flex 3401 but it is pricey considering I will only have the chance to polish once or twice at most every year. I am also not sure if my skill level is adequate enough to use the Flex. If I go for the Flex, will it enable me to do paint correction substantially quicker than the GG or Megs?

If I go for the GG or Megs, how is the edge 2000 system on those machines? Is it recommended? If not, what backing plates and pads do you guys suggest?

Sorry for all the questions. I have been away from detailing for awhile now.

Thanks!
    Tuan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6", Megs G110v2, or Flex 3401

To extremely summarize:
    I will say get the Flex if you have the money.
    Almost everybody will say the Flex if you have the money but if you only going to polish once or twice a year then theres no need and get one of the others.
    Some will say get the Griots and you can do what you need.
    I will add regardless of how often you are going to polish you should definetly get the Flex if you have the money for 1 simple reason... When you do polish don't you want to enjoy doing it?

Here you are my friend: Enjoy

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...werful-da.html

Review-FLEX XC 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polisher

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-needed.html
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 02-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cee!

I want to try the Flex but I am not sure if it is worth it for me. When I first got into this hobby, I amassed so many products that my garage was full of polishes, sealants, and cleaning products, many of which are still sitting there having been used only once or twice. It got so bad that I had to give them away on forums and to friends.

I am only considering the Flex because I have read that it is faster to polish than the typical DA polishers. On average, how much time would really be saved by using a Flex vs a GG or G110v2?

Post Thanks / Like

This really depends on how many stages to your polish system you are planning. (1 type polish with 2 different types of pad) (3 types of polish with 5 different types of pads) Could vary quite a bit...
    If this is for a specific car as I think you mentioned, what car do you have and what polishes and pads will you be using?
    Those answers may help somebody answer you more accurately.

Regardless, I don't have enough experience to give you an answer that I beleive is 100% correct on that. I only briefly used the Griots. I'll let somebody else pipe up. If you don't see anything from anybody after about 24 hours I would post a new thread titled "How much time does Flex 3401 save?"

Forum name "O.C. Detailing" will tell you that he can correct paint just as fast with his Griots on some cars as his buddy can with the Flex. While I respect what he says I will put it like this. I am certain that I could do it a fair bit quicker with the Flex then I could with the Griots.
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 02-28-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Flex 3401 and it's a very well engineered polisher and has great correcting ability. However, I'm seriously thinking of adding a true DA to my arsenal. If you want forced rotation, go with the Flex 3401. There's always the Festool Rotex which I heard is AWESOME, but that's $500!!!
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 03-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I have the Flex 3401 and it's a very well engineered polisher and has great correcting ability. However, I'm seriously thinking of adding a G110v2 to my arsenal. The Flex is great on flat panels because you don't have to fight with the polisher. The G110 is easier to control, especially while polishing curved panels because of the lack of forced rotation. With the G110v2, you can use different sized backing plates, and the correcting ability will rival the 3401 when using the KBM. So, every polisher has its pros and cons, so go with what best fits your needs. The PCXP is overrated, IMO. If you want a non forced rotation DA, go with the G110v2. I had the new GG 6" for a short time. While it has plenty of power, I didn't feel it was a well engineered tool. If you want forced rotation, go with the Flex 3401. There's always the Festool Rotex which I heard is AWESOME, but that's $500!!!

The PC is not overrated, do you know how reliable the original 7424s are? I would take a PC over a G110v2 anyday, the first generation G110 was terrible , I had two die on me within a year. There have been a couple of bad G110v2s already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    The PC is not overrated, do you know how reliable the original 7424s are? I would take a PC over a G110v2 anyday, the first generation G110 was terrible , I had two die on me within a year. There have been a couple of bad G110v2s already.
    I was not speaking in terms of durability. Since you bring it up, you can't beat Porter Cable durability.
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 03-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the replies!

I think I am now leaning towards the GG or G110v2. After thinking it through, I think a PC like machine will always have it place in ones arsenal. Plus, spending 300 on a machine I will rarely use is a bit wasteful for me at the moment.

I have a dark gray 2004 Acura TSX so the paint is rather soft. Which pads would suit me best? I am partial to Edge 2000 system as that is what I used with my Cyclo, so would that be a good option for the GG? If not, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have some Menzerna polish compound, not sure which model as its been a while since I have used the stuff. Could I use the KB method with it or would I be better off getting some m105?

Sorry for all the questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies!

I think I am now leaning towards the GG or G110v2. After thinking it through, I think a PC like machine will always have it place in ones arsenal. Plus, spending 300 on a machine I will rarely use is a bit wasteful for me at the moment.

I have a dark gray 2004 Acura TSX so the paint is rather soft. Which pads would suit me best? I am partial to Edge 2000 system as that is what I used with my Cyclo, so would that be a good option for the GG? If not, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have some Menzerna polish compound, not sure which model as its been a while since I have used the stuff. Could I use the KB method with it or would I be better off getting some m105?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Get the G110v2 or GG with 5.5" flat pads at AG. I would use the Menz polishes you have and if that doesn't do the job, get Meg's 105/205 combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post

I been communicating with Kevin Brown a lot the last couple weeks. He's the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to a DA, IMO.

You only use the KB method when using non-dimishing abrasives(M105, M205, UC, Swirl X, Scratch X 2.0, D151). Menzerna polishes use diminishing abrasives.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast