autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Montana Boars Hair brush keeps marring the paint on my cars.

My 10" brush is silky smooth and doesnt appear to mar the paint with ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same experience you did after recently purchasing the 10 inch brush below...

Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair brush

Used it for the first time on my wife's dd and scratched the heck out of the paint. I've got pics but am unable to upload them on this site. Spent the next four hours polishing. Used the 2 BM with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo. Followed the directions to a tee but no luck. Contacted AG customer service and Paul sent me a Foam Gun instead. I would have expected more for $69. Lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with it. I used one of these years ago at the detail shop and it held up great through hundreds of washes, it was a real time saver and I didn't notice any particular marring coming from it. We had it soaking pretty much all day in a bucket of Duragloss 902. Seems like I'm always close to picking up one for personal use during a big sale. I did buy a smaller hand held 8" Boar's Hair brush that I still use for the face of the wheels, that one is probably 8 years old now and it's still in great shape. I'll have to get it out and try it on the paint to see if I can notice any marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Montana Boars Hair brush keeps marring the paint on my cars.

Swirls are both baffling and cunning. One person can use one set of products have no no marring - while another can use the same products with less than stellar results.

The variables are numerous. Remember, some people have had towels scratch their paint. Brand new soft towels. While others have used the same towels with no issue.

I've used this brush like a zillion times without issue. It's a very well made high quality brush. In fact, my local pay and spray car wash has these same brushes installed (flow through version) in their bays for commercial use. While this doesn't attest to wether or not they "scratch", it does attest to how well made they are.

Their are so many variables that could be causing the OP's issue:

1. You have super soft paint. Paint so soft it can mar with certain towels. This is possible, but not likely if the issue is showing up on multiple cars or cars previously washed by the OP multiple times without issue.

2. You received a defective brush. Something in your brush's construction is marring your paint.

3. You are not soaking your brush long enough prior to use.

4. There is some local contaminant in your area (some type of "dirt"), that just doesn't play well with this wash media.

5. Your technique is "off". Too much pressure, not enough pre-rinsing, not enough soap, etc... are all possibilities.

6. Swirls are completely unrelated to the brush. For example, maybe one of your drying towels became contaminated - coincidently, the same time you started using the brush.

7. Don't know the OP's experience or skill set, but could be light swirls were there the whole time, but were only noticed after scrutinizing the paint after spending so much on a brush.

****please support trans-species humans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Swirls are both baffling and cunning. One person can use one set of products have no no marring - while another can use the same products with less than stellar results.

The variables are numerous. Remember, some people have had towels scratch their paint. Brand new soft towels. While others have used the same towels with no issue.

I've used this brush like a zillion times without issue. It's a very well made high quality brush. In fact, my local pay and spray car wash has these same brushes installed (flow through version) in their bays for commercial use. While this doesn't attest to wether or not they "scratch", it does attest to how well made they are.

Their are so many variables that could be causing the OP's issue:

1. You have super soft paint. Paint so soft it can mar with certain towels. This is possible, but not likely if the issue is showing up on multiple cars or cars previously washed by the OP multiple times without issue.

2. You received a defective brush. Something in your brush's construction is marring your paint.

3. You are not soaking your brush long enough prior to use.

4. There is some local contaminant in your area (some type of "dirt"), that just doesn't play well with this wash media.

5. Your technique is "off". Too much pressure, not enough pre-rinsing, not enough soap, etc... are all possibilities.

6. Swirls are completely unrelated to the brush. For example, maybe one of your drying towels became contaminated - coincidently, the same time you started using the brush.

7. Don't know the OP's experience or skill set, but could be light swirls were there the whole time, but were only noticed after scrutinizing the paint after spending so much on a brush.

****please support trans-species humans.

To give you an idea of what a swirl is, it's tiny little scratches in the paint that go in different directions causing an illusion of a swirl. Some can be severe and others can be light. It doesn't matter if it's a couple of scratches or millions, it's still going to look like a swirl in the sunlight.

I don't know how long or if you even detail, but this brush has caused swirls. I've been detailing for years now, and it's very easy for me to see any imperfections in the paint when i'm finished, just like any other detailer can.

If this brush needed a "special technique" then shouldn't it be said before I bought the brush? Wouldn't you tell your customers this before they go out and ruin their cars with it? Which by the way, I haven't used any pressure, I just let the weight of the brush glide over the surface area of my vehicles, and it still caused marring of the paint. Not good for business.

I understand people need to make a living, but selling defective products and not giving the proper precautions is definitely no way to run a business. Especially when you're charging over 100 bucks for a piece of plastic with hair clippings glued to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a boar's hair brush and I suspect that I may have instilled a few swirls here and there on my white Honda Odyssey.

But I still love it. I use it attached to a Shure-Line paint pole and it's the most efficient way I know to wash a large vehicle.

Plus, if it's good enough for Mike Phillips and Steve (swanicyouth), it's plenty good enough for me.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123