autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a start up kit

I have several vehicles to take care of. A tractor, Trike, motorcycle camper, 4 wheeler, two cars and maybe use on some other non vehicles? I like the looks of the Megs mt300 Kit here (480 value for 279) Is that too much for personal use or not a good machine for what I want to do? I have not owned a DA before. I did apply a coating or sealant by hand before. NOT a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a start up kit

I would recommend looking into a griots kit because of their warranty. For cleaners, it's hard to beat the meguiars detailers line. For protection, hydro2 is a great option spray on rinse off and meguiars 156 is hard to beat. If you want a more conventional sealant, HD poxy can't be beaten in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a long throw Rupes or Griot Boss
    Rupes duetto if you like the smaller case or either a boss G15 or Rupes BF 15 MarkII
    Either LC Thin pro or B&S Low Pro pads

3D HD Poxy and 3D HD Adapt
    Gtechniq c2 liquid crystal
    Wolfgang vison glass cleaner
    BF AIO tire and trim cleaner
    BF waterless wash
    3d hd orange citrus degreaser
    MF towls
    Pinnacle Blacklable shampoo

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the Rupes and Flex but too expensive for my occasional use. $280/300 is high enough to start. This may be a fun new hobby, or just a nice tool to use making polishing and waxing not such a chore. The kit here is foam pads which I think will be great. They brag on their MF pads. What to do? I am a newbie to this, and it seems most people here are pros or very dedicated enthusiast. Not much talk here about Megs DA. Sounds like the new Flex non forced rotation DA may be the same as this MT 300?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into the Porter Cable 7424XP? AG has alot of kits for the PC as well that include pads and backing plate.

Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Polisher - dual action orbital car polisher, car care kits, buffer kits, PC 7424,7424XP, 7424 XP, porter cable

A great plus is the wealth of information on the forum on how to use the PC.

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

I have the MT300 and the power cord has failed twice on it. It's been fixed both times under the Meguiar's warranty. I have since gotten a Rupes 15 Mark II and it's a great machine. I would pick up a Rupes over the MT300 of I had to do it again. The porter cable is always a good start. The vibration is killer on the hands but it gets the job done.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable is a under powered machine and you will soon outgrow it.

Either buy the griots garage 6 inch , boss polishers, rupes polishers, or flex.

The griots garage 6 inch is a great starter machine and still has the power and the balls to do some great correction work (850 watt motor) 7.5 amp motor vs the Porter Cable 4.5 amp motor.

The meguiars Mt 300 seriously I never used one but it seems in every thread people have issues with them.

The griots garage 6 inch is a great machine great power and Griot's Garage has the best customer service if anything goes wrong consider it fixed.

Something happened to my back plate, I emailed pics and I live next to indianpolis where the Hq is and it was at my door in 2 days. With some extra washers at My request.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So much info gets confusing. I read the PC and GG are the same machine just rebranded, and then not.

I've heard good about GG but what about vibrations? I have read both PC and GG have enough vibrations to wear you out and that is why I was looking for a smoother alternative. The GG6 is really my price range.

Anything over a $300 kit is out for now.
    Last edited by DANDJ; 02-08-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added content

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DANDJ View Post
    So much info gets confusing. I read the PC and GG are the same machine just rebranded, and then not.
    KISS....Don't over think the decision.

I've heard good about GG but what about vibrations? I have read both PC and GG have enough vibrations to wear you out and that is why I was looking for a smoother alternative.
    You will get accustomed to the vibration of the GG6 or PC over time.

The GG6 is really my price range.

Anything over a $300 kit is out for now.
    I think you have made your decision. You have to start some where. Down the line you can upgrade to the FLEX or Rupes and sell your GG6.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy the griots machine, is has more power then the Porter cable.

There not the same machines.

I said it multiple times I'll say it again.

The harbor freight da and the Porter Cable are identical machines. No difference some say the harbor freight has more power.

So why pay 120 when you can get the same thing for 47 dollars.

If your going to pay 120 you might as well get the gg6 at least there's a upgrade in power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast