autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim restorer/protectant for Xterra. LOTS of plastic.

Hey guys. I own a 2013 Nissan Xterra and I'm sure you all know how much black plastic is on the exterior of it. Front bumper, door trim, top of rear bumper, roof rack brackets, wind fairing, etc. It is only 2 years old so as of now all of the plastic is in good shape and not faded much if any. I keep it garaged and after my 30 minute commute each day I pull it into the shop where my work van resides. So for the most part, it is kept indoors but you all know the kind of damage the sun can do. I would love to keep it looking as good as possible for myself and also to maintain resale value when that sad day comes. So anyway, I am looking for a trim restorer/protectant that I won't have to reapply every 2 weeks. I know the good stuff is expensive but I would love to be able to keep it under the $30 mark. Ease of application is a pretty big deal since I would be covering some pretty large areas. So I ask you detailing experts for advice on what I should pick up.
    “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim restorer/protectant for Xterra. LOTS of plastic.

C Quartz D Lux or WG Trim Sealant, I have that on my Rogue right now and will be applying D Lux in the near future. It's not garage kept.

As easy as the WG was to apply it's held up very well for the summer Florida weather. Better than anything I've used to date, wish I had it for my Xterra. D Lux is more permanent but from what I hear more tricky to apply. The WG was super easy no issues. No serious prep work.

I had a 2003 X for 12 years just traded it in, it was toasted.

WG Trim Sealant:

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of solution finish. If you want little to no gloss but black try UTTG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    C Quartz D Lux or WG Trim Sealant, I have that on my Rogue right now and will be applying D Lux in the near future. It's not garage kept.

As easy as the WG was to apply it's held up very well for the summer Florida weather. Better than anything I've used to date, wish I had it for my Xterra. D Lux is more permanent but from what I hear more tricky to apply. The WG was super easy no issues. No serious prep work.

I had a 2003 X for 12 years just traded it in, it was toasted.

WG Trim Sealant:

Thanks so much for the input. I was hoping someone that actually had an Xterra would chime in. Did you use any kind of product on the trim when you had it? I really HATE the faded chalky look of all that plastic when it isn't taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
    I'm a big fan of solution finish. If you want little to no gloss but black try UTTG
    Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the UTTG and that is the one I was ready to order before I decided to post here to see if I could get any better suggestions.
    “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer on my new truck and it's about 10 bucks. I use the liquid version (similar to a liquid wax in consistency), not the spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mires View Post
    Thanks so much for the input. I was hoping someone that actually had an Xterra would chime in. Did you use any kind of product on the trim when you had it? I really HATE the faded chalky look of all that plastic when it isn't taken care of.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the UTTG and that is the one I was ready to order before I decided to post here to see if I could get any better suggestions.
    I did and I had way more trim than the new X. You are way ahead of me since yours is garaged and covered in the daytime.

Go with the WG Trim Protectant it's great stuff. I applied that back in February and I'm just now about to do it again, and this is Fla and non garaged, my Genny is the cave :-)

2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, a member here did an extensive test on trim protectants. Bought a bunch of plastic at a junk yard, did before and after on all of it and posted the results. I think the member was Nth Degree. Pretty good reading.
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I did and I had way more trim than the new X. You are way ahead of me since yours is garaged and covered in the daytime.

Go with the WG Trim Protectant it's great stuff. I applied that back in February and I'm just now about to do it again, and this is Fla and non garaged, my Genny is the cave :-)

You're right. The old X did have even more plastic. Poor fella. I actually just read some reviews on the UTTG and some people are not liking the new formula as much as the old so I think I am going to pick up the wolfgang trim sealant instead. So tell me, does this stuff go a long way. Like would I be safe to just get the 4 oz. bottle for now just to make sure I will like it?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mires View Post
    You're right. The old X did have even more plastic. Poor fella. I actually just read some reviews on the UTTG and some people are not liking the new formula as much as the old so I think I am going to pick up the wolfgang trim sealant instead. So tell me, does this stuff go a long way. Like would I be safe to just get the 4 oz. bottle for now just to make sure I will like it?
    Yes it does but go with the 8 oz and pick it up on s ale like I did. A few drops goes a long way.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast