autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick review Meg D151 vs HD Speed

Hey guys,

nice weather today and some free time (well, not really but decided to take a break)

So I did a quick test between Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme and HD Speed. Both products were use as one step correction to see how they did.

The test was performed on a Black 2008 Toyota Yaris outside in the shade with high Wind (always seems to be super windy when I want to work on car Temperature was 22 celcius (72 fahrenheit).

I split the trunk in half doing one half with each product. So area is a little over 2.3' X 2.3' when rounded up.

I used Rupes 21ES with 5" backing plate, orange light cut Buff&Shine compound pads. I used a clean pad for each product. I primed the pad spreading product over the whole surface then added two nickel size drops of product.

I did exactly 8 section passes with each product using light pressure and slow arm speed. My Rupes was set to speed 6 for the whole process after spreading product around quickly at speed 2. My last pass was done with no pressure.

I used a 10% IPA solution to clean both areas before taking the pictures to make sure nothing was masked off by the fillers.

Review bellow after the pictures

Finish difficult to see on this pic except for the tons of RIDS.

Different angle, still had to see.

Swirls and RIDS galore!

Swirls from different angle

After 8 passes on both sides.

Still a bit different angle

Product could have worked longer, it had not flashed on either sides when I stopped.

Both sides visible here, a lot more gloss, but far from perfect.

Still lots of damage remaining after 8 passes but a very definate improvement over pre-polishing.

Results:

Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Creme (D151)
    No dusting

Product is very inexpensive compared to HD Speed

Long working time despite bad condition (windy). Was not spent after 8 oversize section passes.
    Product finishes nicelly even with an orange pad.

Includes a sealant so it can really be used as a true All-in-One for 1 step correction

HD Speed
    Dusts like crazy. After doing half the trunk there other side of the trunk has so much dust on it you could not see the paint anymore. It dusts even more than M105 which I thought was the dustiest product out there. On the other hand the dust seemed to stay low, my eyes gets watery when using M105 and I did not experience this with Speed.

Correction ability is a little bit better than D151. It's hard to see in the pictures but the side with HD Speed had a bit less swirls left.

Speed also includes a sealant for true All-in-one one step polish.

Speed is more expensive than D151.

So overall both are nice products. I could have corrected the areas to a higher level had I worked the product till it flashed but I wanted to see if one would outperform the other using a set number of passes. So in that regard HD speed seems to have the upper hand. The dusting is definatelly a very big deal for me, and I would rather use D151 just because of that. I forgot to take notice of the smells (that's not something I find important... all I can say is neither product stank).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this review is just worthless without a smell test. Booooo.

Hahahhaha

Thanks for the review man.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick review Meg D151 vs HD Speed

Very nice review and some crazy shots of the tape line. Awesome man!!
    Detailing in Colorado since 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used HD Speed a LOT over the years and have never had a single issue with dusting. Was your pad clean? That is just bizarre.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

D151 never ceases to amaze me. Great product. Insanely cheap. Protection lasts for a solid couple months. From the results it looks like HD Speed is a capable AIO as well. Nice review!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I have used HD Speed a LOT over the years and have never had a single issue with dusting. Was your pad clean? That is just bizarre.

Yep clean pad. Used exactly the same way as D151. Strange that it reacted differently than the way it did for you. Do you use microfiber pads or foam pads?

Have you used it outside? Maybe it's super sensitive to wind?

Post Thanks / Like
    D151 is one of my favorite products. Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yep clean pad. Used exactly the same way as D151. Strange that it reacted differently than the way it did for you. Do you use microfiber pads or foam pads?

Have you used it outside? Maybe it's super sensitive to wind?
    I have used it in wind, cold, extreme heat, and direct sunlight. I have probably used close to a gallon of this stuff over the last year.

How much were you using per application? HD products are much different because less is truly more. You do not prime the pad, and only need 3/4 pea sized drops every time you charge the pad.

Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I have used it in wind, cold, extreme heat, and direct sunlight. I have probably used close to a gallon of this stuff over the last year.

How much were you using per application? HD products are much different because less is truly more. You do not prime the pad, and only need 3/4 pea sized drops every time you charge the pad.

Description of amount used is in the first message. So that must be it, used too much I guess. I primed the pad with the product and used 2 nickel size drops. I was working an oversized section though...

Product still did a good job, if using less would not produce dusting then it might be Superior to D151 except for the price. D151 is about half to a quarter of the price. I only purchased 32 ounces of HD Speed vs 128 ounces of D151 so price per ounce is WAY lower on the D151. Cost me almost the same price for the 32 ounces vs the 128 ounces!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used Speed a few times and ive never encountered dusting either. Even with a primed pad, weird.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast