autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meguiars M40

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars M40

Just got a slammin' deal on a gallon from my local distributor so I figured why not ...
    Love the scent, smells like leather and if you own a luxury car you would certainly appreciate the smell.
    Have any of you guys used this on treated finished leather? Tires?
    I currently use Natural Shine on interiors but all out and for the price I had to try it.
    PROS/CONS for those that have used it fellas...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars M40

I really like this stuff and use it allot. I think they way it cleans and brightens both vinyl and leather leaving a nice sheen without a sticky residue.. The smell as you said is leathery and I always spray some on a small pad and leave it under the seat.

Meguiar's M40 -

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Good to know that you've tried it on Leather with no ill affects. It doesnt really specifically say its for it but as most leather is finished and has a coating on it, I figured it would be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I too use it very often and love it. Its a great interior tool. My main reason for continuing to use it is the smell.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Mike Phillips

It's not recommended for leather by Meguiar's for whatever that's worth...

It's been around for probably close to 30 or 40 years and I do know detailers that have used it on neglected, aged leather to restore suppleness.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used M40 for nearly 10 years and absolutely love it, both for what it does and how it smells. After reading in this forum a year ago about using M40 as a tire dressing, it is all I use now. It is great and long lasting. I too, now buy it by the gallon.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had to give it a whirl on a nasty recondition for a dealer on a 97 M3 and all I can say is OMG!
    So I cleaned the doors, console, pillars, leather the whole nine with APC 6:1 and then dressed it all from top to bottom with the M40 and holy bajeezus! The initial application went on with some gloss but as I continued to work my way around to the other doors console and pillars when I arrived back at square one I have it a wipe down to knock down the gloss and it looked factory fresh with a nice warm glow to it! It totally restored the blackness but with a brand new type glow.. Megs interior detailer does t come close nor does natural shine.. These two IMO leave a glossier finish where as m40 leaves more of a satin glow!
    AANNNNNND I am in bed right now and my wife just asked me "did you do a leather treatment on that BMW in the garage" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SMELLS A LITTLE LEATHERY! YOU THINK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike can you add more to the reason why it is not recommended for leather....

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

My vote also for #40!!!

Found this a looong time ago and after trying so so many other products, still my 'go to' stuff.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fredcandetail View Post
    Mike can you add more to the reason why it is not recommended for leather....

Thx
    I've never been told the chemistry reason why M40 is not for use on leather but I can take a guess that a product formulated to use on man-made materials is different than a product made to be used on animal skin.

Although some leather is coated, a dressing manufacture has know idea what each person in the world is working on, whether it's coated or not coated, so a safe approach is to tell people to,

• Use vinyl products on vinyl
    • Use leather products on leather

Then hope that this simple, common-sense approach reduces any potential problems of liability and correctly used, nothing will go wrong.

Sometimes a good practice is to pick a brand you trust and then trust that they've done their homework and know how their products are best used and best used safely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast