autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Zubair
  • 3 Post By zmcgovern45

Thread: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member DetailTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    101

    Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    They have the same cut/gloss rating. Is it non-diminishing abrasives in one, maybe a chemical polish in other ??

  2. #2
    In time out
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg,South Africa
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    Perfect Finish is designed for rotary use the other DA. In the real world me thinks both will work just fine on either machine.
    DetailTrail likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,246

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    The original Sonax PF (said to be made for rotary) was flamed for filling defects in some instances rather than actually removing them. IIRC the explanation was that certain components of the polish would not break down with the lower heat of the DA machine vs. Rotary. It was a loved polish for a while, until "Filler-gate" and then the professional world sort of fell out of love with it pretty quickly.

    They later released EX 04/06 as an update for DA use with a new formula...
    "This unique formula was created specifically for use with dual-action or random orbital polishers and the abrasives break down consistently to help you produce the high amounts of depth and gloss. EX 04-06 is water based and contains no solvents, silicones or petroleum."
    DetailTrail, RPM_BR and custmsprty like this.


  4. #4
    Senior Member DetailTrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    101

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    The original Sonax PF (said to be made for rotary) was flamed for filling defects in some instances rather than actually removing them. IIRC the explanation was that certain components of the polish would not break down with the lower heat of the DA machine vs. Rotary. It was a loved polish for a while, until "Filler-gate" and then the professional world sort of fell out of love with it pretty quickly.

    They later released EX 04/06 as an update for DA use with a new formula...
    "This unique formula was created specifically for use with dual-action or random orbital polishers and the abrasives break down consistently to help you produce the high amounts of depth and gloss. EX 04-06 is water based and contains no solvents, silicones or petroleum."

    OK then, that really makes sense.
    At times I use both a Rotary & DA, be nice to have something made for the extra heat generated from my Rotary,
    then switch over to a DA, with a formula made to break down with less heat. Great.

  5. #5

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    Definitely not the same product. Perfect finish has a more 'dry' buffing cycle than ex 04/06. I always read about Perfect Finish being market for rotary and 04/06 for DA but I actually find perfect finish works much faster than 04/06. 04/06 has extremely long work time which imo may not be the most efficient way to use when buffing with DA. Having said that, the abrasive used for both is really top notch. Both are predictable and consistent performer from hard to the softest of paintwork.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    2,347

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    To take this discussion a little further: What is the difference between EX 04/06 and the new Cut and Finish? Using Sonax's own 6-point scale, these two products appear to be very and may actually overlap.
    Save the Manuals!!

  7. #7
    McKee's 37 Product Support Nick@McKees37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    The original Sonax PF (said to be made for rotary) was flamed for filling defects in some instances rather than actually removing them. IIRC the explanation was that certain components of the polish would not break down with the lower heat of the DA machine vs. Rotary. It was a loved polish for a while, until "Filler-gate" and then the professional world sort of fell out of love with it pretty quickly.

    They later released EX 04/06 as an update for DA use with a new formula...
    "This unique formula was created specifically for use with dual-action or random orbital polishers and the abrasives break down consistently to help you produce the high amounts of depth and gloss. EX 04-06 is water based and contains no solvents, silicones or petroleum."
    Great explanation Zach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    To take this discussion a little further: What is the difference between EX 04/06 and the new Cut and Finish? Using Sonax's own 6-point scale, these two products appear to be very and may actually overlap.
    EX 04/06 has a cut rating of 4 (out of 6) and a gloss rating of 6 (out of 6).

    Cut & Finish, using the same scale, is rated at 5 for cut and 5 for gloss, respectively. If you need just a wee bit more cut and are willing to sacrifice a smidgen of gloss, then Cut & Finish is the better choice.

    Cut & Finish is a truly top notch compound. Check out Mike's review: NEW SONAX Cut & Finish - Extreme Showcar Makeover - Removing Holograms using the FLEX 3401





  8. #8
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    2,347

    Re: Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 and EX 04/06 the same product ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Cut & Finish, using the same scale, is rated at 5 for cut and 5 for gloss, respectively. If you need just a wee bit more cut and are willing to sacrifice a smidgen of gloss, then Cut & Finish is the better choice.
    Thanks, Nick! "Wee bit"..."smidgen"!? I know what you are getting at, and I appreciate it, but when products are that close in performance it really doesn't make the decision process easy.
    Save the Manuals!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
  2. sonax perfect finish
    By john b in forum Products Guides
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM
  3. Sonax Nano Polish vs. Sonax Perfect Finish
    By WRAPT C5Z06 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 01:19 AM
  4. Sonax Perfect Finish!
    By Mike@DedicatedPerfection in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 10:41 AM
  5. Sonax Cut & Finish and Sonax Perfect Finish at Autogeek.net
    By Mike Phillips in forum New Car Care Products
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» February 2017

293031 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 1234