autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing scratches

Hi all, got my first scratches from off roading, as expected. I know this was discussed many times, but what's your recommendation on how to remove something like this? I understand there is not much could be done with the plastic, but how about the paint? Thank you. P.S. I used Klasse All-In-One Polish & Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze on the car a couple of moths ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing scratches-img_2986-1-jpg   Removing scratches-img_2983-1-jpg   Removing scratches-14671185_10154636371716797_3680396247225493698_n-jpg   Removing scratches-img_2984-1-jpg   Removing scratches-img_2985-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing scratches

You need to decide if its worth it. I live in Colorado and have removed those types of scratches on many of friends off-road vehicles. And if you are an avid off roader, and in the trees often, constant buffing will remove clear coat and or paint. So maybe you should leave them and just be proud. Or Consider coating the truck. And that will need to maintained as well, but will give you a small amount of protection, depending on the coating. I coated a Jeep Rubicon for a friend. He said it did help a little, and now we add more every other year (3 times so far}but a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Precisely why my truck is a pavement princess lol. Honestly if your going to off road I wouldn't bother . There is only so much clear coat on a vehicle .

Post Thanks / Like

if you don't have own a DA, try some ultimate compound (if you can't wait to buy it here at AG, it can be found otc) and a foam applicator with some elbow grease. keep in mind, this shouldn't be repeated over and over so you have to decide whether or not it's beneficial in the long run...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Nice looking Taco.

In the last picture the bottom scratch looks like it went down to metal. Not much you can do other than fill it with touch up paint, sand the texture down smooth and buff it out.

However you can try to buff them out via polisher and compound. What do you have on hand?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Nice looking Taco.

In the last picture the bottom scratch looks like it went down to metal. Not much you can do other than fill it with touch up paint, sand the texture down smooth and buff it out.

However you can try to buff them out via polisher and compound. What do you have on hand?
    Thank you for the kind words. I have nothing on hands. This is new to me. I am not planning to do this very often and expected the scratches from off roading, although I am always trying to avoid branches. Could you point me to the right direction (product name, order to apply...) Thanks again!

7. Thanks Dan R thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you don't have own a DA, try some ultimate compound (if you can't wait to buy it here at AG, it can be found otc) and a foam applicator with some elbow grease. keep in mind, this shouldn't be repeated over and over so you have to decide whether or not it's beneficial in the long run...

I am not planning to do this very often (maybe once a year at the end of the season, before the winter). Could you point me to the right direction (product name, order to apply...) Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4dimad View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I have nothing on hands. This is new to me. I am not planning to do this very often and expected the scratches from off roading, although I am always trying to avoid branches. Could you point me to the right direction (product name, order to apply...) Thanks again!
    No problem. We all had to start somewhere.

Where do you want to go with it and how far into detailing do you want to get into?

Plenty of great information over here to read up on.
    Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Another thing you can do is pick up one of Mike's books located on the bottom of that link.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by postaltwo View Post
    Precisely why my truck is a pavement princess lol. Honestly if your going to off road I wouldn't bother . There is only so much clear coat on a vehicle .
    Agree.Deal with it when it's horrific if your driving through the woods.Those are abrasions not scratches.A medium polish like hyper compound or the polish should be able to diminish those easily with a micro pad.