autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: CarPro - PERL

Review: CarPro - PERL

CarPro - PERL

Price: $24.99 for 1L

Product Description from Autopia:

CarPro - PERL is water-based silicon oxide, solvent-free, hydrophobic, and provides great satin shine and revives faded plastic, engine, rubber, and leather surfaces. While it can easily spray, it has great cling to keep it on the surface. It lasts up to 3 months. PERL Coat has no chemical solvents, which can cause damage to tires. PERL Coat contains a high degree of UV protection to keep the surface from yellowing, cracking and fading as a result of sun damage. PERL Coat will stop leather from cracking and prevent dirt and stains from penetrating the surface. Treated surfaces require less cleaning and will remain in like-new condition. PERL Coat restores the original finish to vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, and leather. Plastic, engine, rubber, leather, and vinyl surfaces stay supple, flexible, and retain their color with regular use of PERL Coat. PERL Coat creates a satin shine. It is non greasy, non oily, and has a great smell. PERL Coat's water-based formula provides great durability on all tires, interior and exterior trim, vinyl and dashboards.

On to the review...

Intro:
    I purchased 1L CarPro - PERL after getting a sample with one of my orders and liking it. The 1L bottle of PERL did not come with a convenient cap so I changed it out for a flip top squeeze cap to make it more usable. I also noticed the color and consistency of my PERL was very different than the sample I had gotten (the sample was off-white and ticker, where has the 1L was perfectly white and much more runny). The product has a light pleasant coconut smell. PERL was my first water based dressing (I was using oil based before). I figured I'd wait to write a review about this product until I had long term consistent results (which I do now)...

Cleaning/prep:
    For the first application of PERL I figured I would fully strip any old dressings, wax's and polish or compound residues prior to application. After a weekly maintenance wash, I proceeded to clean all of the exterior rubbers and plastics (tires, trim, and seals) with Meg's D101 APC diluted at a 4:1 ratio, a few assorted brushes ranging from soft to hard, and some plastic razors. I worked at a slow steady pace cleaning maliciously and passed over everything a second time.

Front wheel (dirty, before):

Rear wheel (dirty, before)

Cleaning/prep:

Application:
    I poured some undiluted PERL onto a microfiber applicator and applied it to the trim and rubber weather seals, first. I also applied some PERL to a foam tire applicator and noticed it didn't absorb into the foam (kind of sat on top) so I folded the foam in half pressing the PERL gently into the top layer of foam. I did one pass and quickly found I needed more to get into the deeper groves of the lettering on the sidewall, as it was still dry. For the second application, I didn't fold the foam I simply quickly flipped the foam onto the side wall and swiped around. This did the trick, but I did still get one drip on the wheel.

After the application, I walked around my vehicle to inspect the trim and found it very wet and glossy and decided to buff my rear step with a fresh microfiber. The look was perfect for the rear step, but I liked the rest of my trim glossy and left it as is (I also dry buffed the weather seals).

Note: While I was thoroughly impressed with the look of PERL but found the unbuffed surfaces to remain tacky for up to 12 hours after application.

Before and after (photo taken one day after application):

Durability/Environmental's:
    My SRT is parked outside year around unprotected from the elements in the harsh Montreal climate so I really wanted PERL to last (hence the lengthy prep). I found PERL very durable in dry hot sunny conditions but after every one or two rain storms I noticed the trim starting to turn white. This stated on the trim at first, in a pattern similar to the way it was applied. I figured I must have incorrectly prepped the trim so I re-prepped the trim using Meg's D101 APC, Meg's D108 super degreaser, and IPA, all at full strength and in that order. I reapplied PERL just as before and much to my dismay after a few rain storms the same thing started to happen again (trim turning white)...

Since then I've continued to apply PERL weekly over top previous layers and find it actually improves the durability and restores the look without all the hard work. The problem is I can't get more than about 10 days of durability out of it before it starts to turn white and needs another application! I also noticed this happening to my tires along with some discoloration of the tires.

Front wheel (one day after most recent application and wash):

Rear wheel (one day after most recent application and wash):

Mirror (one day after most recent application and wash):

Roof rail (one day after most recent application and wash):

Roof rail (one day after a rain storm):

Rear step (one day after a rain storm):

Tires (one day after a rain storm):

Front wheel (two weeks since last application and wash):

Rear wheel (two weeks since last application and wash):

Roof rail (two weeks since last application and wash):

A pillar trim (two weeks since last application and wash):
    Note: never seen it look this bad, really pushed me to write this review for others...

Mirror (two weeks since last application and wash):
    Note: you can clearly see the product turning white on the paint where I had over applied the product!

Cowell (two weeks since last application and wash):
    Note: Yes, I applied it to the back of my wiper arm too...
    Note: Yes, I applied it to the back of my wiper arm too...

Final thoughts\conclusion:
    I think if I had tested PERL in a different environment my results would have been very different as I've seen many other reviews about this product and none have similar findings. This leads me to conclude it could also be the application itself (full strength), my environment (cold, rainy, harsh), or a different revision of the product as my sample differed. It seems PERL is better suited for hot dry climates likely lasting months upon months. I had no issues with PERL until cold weather rainstorms. I'll be moving on to CQuartz Delux next (another CarPro product)...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro - PERL

bought it nothing special about it.I applied it on my driver interior panel and when it rained it streaked all over. would not spend money on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, thanks for sharing buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Dlux also turn white and flaky near the end of its life, creating a frustrating situation because its hard to clean off?
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

It's designed to be diluted when used on trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Doesn't Dlux also turn white and flaky near the end of its life, creating a frustrating situation because its hard to clean off?
    I really, really, really, hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGXP View Post
    It's designed to be diluted when used on trim.
    Granted but it should work fine full strength as well...

It says undiluted for tires though and I also had some ashy looking results.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using PERL for quite a while and have never seen it turn white like that. Ive seen it rain off in very short time on tires and trim, but never any white waxy residue marks. Super weird! Maybe your applicator had some other residue in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Did the sample bottle leave a white film too
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

An underwhelming product use mine under the hood now where it's not as exposed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast