autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leatherique vs. Swissvax

If you're not conditioning will keep the leather from drying out

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Astonmartin,

If you do not, treat the leather & allow it to be exposed it will dry out, become more brittle, & prone to cracking due to aging. The most supple the leather can be is on the live animal, who's body nourishes the hide. Neglecting to supply nutrients either oil based, or a more nourishing natural proteins, will result in rapid aging & no longer be useful. Leatherique nourishes leather, with proteins & other ingredients, so as to be more like, what the hide would get from a live animal.

Many leather treatments are clean, then condition, with an oil based conditioner. The Rejuvenator proteins, vitamins etc. is allowed to nourish, for as long as you leave it on (I suggest 8 hrs), so its not quite the same process as most leather treatments.

Think about this way "all" life forms are "organic" (scientific) meaning of organic, is all life forms are carbon based. Water h20 is inorganic, no carbon. Once & organic form dies, it no longer, has the the ability to maintain it's form, & unless something is done it will rot.

By treating leather with a high end product 1 or 2 times per year, (more natural like prod), the leather will stay supple. Failure overtime can result, in cracks, & emergency treatment to stop further degrading, neglected hides, can become candidates, for dye job, so as to bring back some beauty. Heat makes the decay process quicker, with the exception of heat by Rejuvenator, which nourishes & draws contaminants to the surface. So after treatment heat now becomes the enemy, should protect from damage for 6 - 12 mo. Your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    Hi Astonmartin,

If you do not, treat the leather & allow it to be exposed it will dry out, become more brittle, & prone to cracking due to aging. The most supple the leather can be is on the live animal, who's body nourishes the hide. Neglecting to supply nutrients either oil based, or a more nourishing natural proteins, will result in rapid aging & no longer be useful. Leatherique nourishes leather, with proteins & other ingredients, so as to be more like, what the hide would get from a live animal.

Many leather treatments are clean, then condition, with an oil based conditioner. The Rejuvenator proteins, vitamins etc. is allowed to nourish, for as long as you leave it on (I suggest 8 hrs), so its not quite the same process as most leather treatments.

Think about this way "all" life forms are "organic" (scientific) meaning of organic, is all life forms are carbon based. Water h20 is inorganic, no carbon. Once & organic form dies, it no longer, has the the ability to maintain it's form, & unless something is done it will rot.

By treating leather with a high end product 1 or 2 times per year, (more natural like prod), the leather will stay supple. Failure overtime can result, in cracks, & emergency treatment to stop further degrading, neglected hides, can become candidates, for dye job, so as to bring back some beauty. Heat makes the decay process quicker, with the exception of heat by Rejuvenator, which nourishes & draws contaminants to the surface. So after treatment heat now becomes the enemy, should protect from damage for 6 - 12 mo. Your mileage may vary.
    No leather conditioner is oil based. The rejuvenating oil isn't an oil, they just happen to call it that because people think that's what leather needs.

Leather doesn't really like oil in general actually.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not suggesting, the prime ingredient is "some" leather conditioners is Quaker State 20W-40, or Pennzoil Synthetic.

Some products use a derivative, or oil base, or oil derived by product.

What's important here is what distinguishes high end products, from low end products & what makes the difference, often times it comes down to the cost of ingredients used.

I still have Gloveoleum, you could pour this into a (crankcase), used for sold for conditioning, "baseball" gloves.

Likewise "SaddleSoap" oil derived, & high end Leather conditioners caution against using it, at it tends to dry the leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astonmartin View Post
    If you're not conditioning will keep the leather from drying out
    I like the principles behind
    Mike Phillips' "K.I.S.S.-system"...So:

When it comes to leather care, (for me), it's:
    "Clean and Protect!"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not suggesting, the prime ingredient is "some" leather conditioners is Quaker State 20W-40, or Pennzoil Synthetic.

Some products use a derivative, or oil base, or oil derived by product.

What's important here is what distinguishes high end products, from low end products & what makes the difference, often times it comes down to the cost of ingredients used.

I still have Gloveoleum, you could pour this into a (crankcase), used for sold for conditioning, "baseball" gloves.

Likewise "SaddleSoap" oil derived, & high end Leather conditioners caution against using it, at it tends to dry the leather.
    Uncoated leather is different than coated leather like that found in baseball gloves.

Anyway, straight from Leatherique's own site

"PLEASE NOTE that there is NO OIL in the Rejuvinator Oil that name is from the 1960's when people EXPECTED an OIL for their Leather. Hence the name change to LEATHER REJUVINATOR"
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Well!
    conman1395 said:

No leather conditioner is oil based.
    U want more examples? Than the two already given?

I have not made the claim, that Rejuvenator, is oil based. I've repeatedly said it contains: proteins, & nourishment for leather.

Furthermore SOME products sold to treat leather do contain & oil based ingredients.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Well!
    conman1395 said:

U want more examples? Than the two already given?

I have not made the claim, that Rejuvenator, is oil based. I've repeatedly said it contains: proteins, & nourishment for leather.

Furthermore SOME products sold to treat leather do contain & oil based ingredients.

"PLEASE NOTE that there is NO OIL in the Rejuvinator Oil that name is from the 1960's when people EXPECTED an OIL for their Leather. Hence the name change to LEATHER REJUVINATOR"
    Quick review of my scribbling, I cannot see where I've used, Rejuvenator an oil TOGETHER, so as to imply that Leatherique's product contained oil.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Some other products which contain oil or a oil based derivative, plus example of oil base derivative.

Note how lanolin is used to "moisturize" skin, I'll bet it does the same for leather.

Adding moisture back to leather, keeps it from drying out & rotting, hence lanolin oil, gives the oil based derivative, moisturizing Lanolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leatherique vs. Swissvax-2015-08-29_13-38-47-jpg   Leatherique vs. Swissvax-2015-08-29_13-38-02-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

IMO:

1.) There seems to be an overall lack of understanding,
    of the various leather "types"; and without knowing the
    actual leather type: it stands to reason it's difficult to
    select the correct leather care products.

2.) And what's with this yearning/burning desire to
    "nourish/feed" auto-leather (RE: leather that's been
    dead for quite awhile)...with oils and "conditioners""?!?!

3.) Marketing hype:
    •I'll take what I consider a rather benign pathway and
    say that some Companies, that market leather care
    products, just may not always be forthcoming.

•Neatsfoot oil, lanolin, mink oil, collagen, saddle soap,
    furniture polish, oil, varnish, ammonia, aloe, etc.:
    These products have no place in auto leather care!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast