autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Mothers Professional Compound and Polish

Hey AGO members, PapaSmurf here and today I'll be sharing my review and experience with Mothers Professional Rubbing Compound #08612 and Mothers Professional Polish #08712. Together Mothers calls this there Professional Paint Restoration System. The products retail at about $13.50 a piece or around $27 when bought as a kit. The Compound is designed to remove up to 1500 grit defects.

20140120_160927 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

The vehicle I used to test this product Is my friend Jesse's 05 Mustang GT. It is cars like this that make me LOVE detailing. This bad boy rolls on a set of Foose Nitrous rims and packs a nice punch thanks to a set of cams, full exhaust, gears and custom tune. This is undoubtedly the most well taken care of 05-09 GT I have come in contact with, but that doesnt mean there arent swirls! That is ok because that's where Mothers and I come to the rescue!

All dirty

20140120_151603 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

All cleaned up and back in the garage thanks to a nice waterless wash.

20140120_160052 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

About the Product(s) (Taken from Mothers website)
    Mothers® Professional Paint Restoration System uses the same industry-proven formulas found in body shops worldwide to give you a showroom new finish, without the guesswork. Reconditioning your paint from normal wear and tear, buff fresh paint after color sanding, or even improve your factory applied paint finish, especially clearcoats.

Rubbing Compound works with your favorite buffer to quickly cut through water spots, and effortlessly remove heavy oxidation, car wash scratches and other defects.

Finishing Polish removes compounding scratches, towel marks, hazing, holograms, and other imperfections.

Designed for the professional detailer, but simple enough for anyone, Mothers® streamlines paint correction to give you brilliant color, enhanced gloss, unmatched depth, and a perfectly prepared surface, ready for waxing.

Testing

Taped up My test sections

20140120_161147 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

The Defects

20140120_160649 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

20140120_160505 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

20140120_161200 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

20140120_161200 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

For the Rubbing Compound I chose to use The Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech Pad. I primed the pad with 3 small drops working the product in on speed 2-3 and then increased to speed 6 with moderate pressure for a total of 4 section passes. Once the product breaks down it will turn kind of transparent. The Compound has a very nice work time and VERY LOW dusting properties.

20140120_162150 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

Slight haziness left from the compound but no swirls remain. You might be noticing the little dots. This hood had some sealant pop from the custom black painted portion of the hood.

20140120_162522 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

Polishing
    For the polishing I used a Lake Country Tangerine Hydrotech pad and primed the pad with 3 small drops working the product in with light pressure on speed 2 increasing speed to between 4 and 5 making 4 section passes. This product has ZERO dusting,

20140120_163616 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

BAZINGA! Thanks to the Polish the paint now has clarity and depth!

20140120_163936 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

20140120_164815 by PapaSmurf315, on Flickr

Final Thoughts & Impressions
    I am VERY satisfied by the results of these 2 products. I would say pad selection is very critical when using these products. I believe I could've gotten less haziness with the Compound alone by using a slightly less aggressive pad such as a LC orange CCS Smart pad. I could've also just used a black LC finishing pad with the Polish to even further refine the finish. The Compound is MUCH better than Meguiars M105 IMO as there is zero dusting and it cuts as good if not even better. The polish is fantastic too and the fact that there is ZERO dusting is an added benefit. Both products have a very long work time. I felt like I could work the Polish forever. Mothers doesn't disappoint and these 2 products demonstrate that. They really did there homework and delivered 2 quality products. I would encourage everyone to give them a try and not overlook them. I've been very curious about these products for sometime and now after using them I can confidently say that they work EXTREMELY WELL. I would also like to inform everyone that the Rubbing Compound #08612 is the 12 oz consumer version of Mothers #81132 32 oz. The same goes for the Polish #08712 as it is the same as the 32 oz #83432. Thank you for taking the time to read this review and I look forward to your comments .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Mothers Professional Compound and Polish

Great write up! I've been wondering about the mothers compound and polish. Are they available OTC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Great write up! I've been wondering about the mothers compound and polish. Are they available OTC?
    Thank you! Yes I know some places like Pep Boys carry them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Thank you! Yes I know some places like Pep Boys carry them.
    Great, thanks! Looks like a great set of products for a very reasonable price! I'll definitely have to add them to my arsenal!

If you don't mind my asking, what tape do you use for sectioning and taping off trim? The tape I've been using lately has been leaving behind sticky residue and creating more work for me. I wonder if maybe the last few rolls I've purchased came from an older batch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding review Caleb! Looks like you really went all out with this one. I like how both products create zero dusting. Their definitely an alternative to the usual Meguiars/Menzerna/Optimum lineup.

This will probably open up newbs minds when they realize "hey, I thought Mothers was just a cheap OTC brand found at local chain stores". Quite the opposite, your results speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Great results! Great price!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had AWESOME results with Mother's Power Polish (off the shelf)!! It's been eluded to several times over the years in here that Mother's is a very underestimated product line most of the time. They have some great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Great, thanks! Looks like a great set of products for a very reasonable price! I'll definitely have to add them to my arsenal!

If you don't mind my asking, what tape do you use for sectioning and taping off trim? The tape I've been using lately has been leaving behind sticky residue and creating more work for me. I wonder if maybe the last few rolls I've purchased came from an older batch?
    Youre welcome! I use 3m sharp edge tape (I believe its called something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Outstanding review Caleb! Looks like you really went all out with this one. I like how both products create zero dusting. Their definitely an alternative to the usual Meguiars/Menzerna/Optimum lineup.

This will probably open up newbs minds when they realize "hey, I thought Mothers was just a cheap OTC brand found at local chain stores". Quite the opposite, your results speak for themselves.
    Thanks Aaron! I really hope this opens some peoples eyes and changes opinions that some people have regarding OTC products. Mothers has great products and a fantastic inventory to meet every detailing need.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Great review! Great results! Great price!
    Thank you, I agree! Thanks for reading my review .

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    I've had AWESOME results with Mother's Power Polish (off the shelf)!! It's been eluded to several times over the years in here that Mother's is a very underestimated product line most of the time. They have some great stuff.
    Indeed they do. My goal is to shed some light on what these products are capable of doing. There really is no shine like Mothers!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see another product easier to work with than M105. Great review!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

These pictures don't do justice to the results! The black on my hood is SO much deeper and looks better than it did when she rolled out of the paint booth.

I'd love to post some better outdoor shots but the "Polar Vortex precludes that at this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Mothers Professional Compound and Polish-image-jpg  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast