autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP Prep Polish/Paint Coating

With the recent arrival of a coating offering from PBMG, I was excited to say the least. With all the vehicles that I have done lately with Opti Coat 2.0, I have pondered the idea of putting a coating on my wife’s wagon to keep it protected better than just a sealant would. As we are getting ready to leave for Germany and knowing that 2 car garages are pretty hard to come by I wanted to put a semi permanent coating on her car as it may be sitting outside. It WILL be driven in the snow and nasty weather as we plan on packing up the wagon and touring Europe with it. With this in mind and the DP coating coming out just in time before I leave I had the chance to get the paint ready for winter weather. I would like to pick up the glass polish, glass coating, and wheel coating but I will have to wait until I get there for that.

Since I usually keep this car pretty clean and it sits in the garage next to my BMW not much was needed for a wash. I decided to use some UWW+ to clear the Vegas desert dust from the surface. After getting the car cleaned up I clayed the car and taped it up for some polishing work. I wanted to get some decent correction with great finishing and I choose Menzerna SF4000.

DP paint Prep Polish thoughts
    http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html

Prep Polish is very thin and runny compared to a regular polish such as SF4000 or M205. When using be careful when applying to the pad as it will come out pretty quick and you will get more on the pad than needed. Take your time when you first use it. Wipe off is very easy and comes right up. The only thing I didn’t care for was in a world of using coatings you traditionally would use Eraser or IPA to wipe up after the polishing session. With this product you need to go back over the vehicle to polish the surface for the DP Coating Instead of a spray and wipe product such as Eraser. On the plus side it does have the ability to fix toweling marks from Waterless or Rinsless wash sessions. Just something to keep in mind.

DP Paint Coating thoughts
    http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html

DP Coating comes in a small bottle with a pump sprayer on top and operates much the same way as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. First prime the applicator pad with a spritz and then a spritz or two on the panel you are working. For me personally and probably due to the high heat here in Vegas I was using more spritzes per panel and using a Gold MF towel to spread and level the product. The Coating was flashing too fast for me and thus was easier to spread and level with the MF towel instead of using the yellow applicator first. I applied two coats of the DP Coating 24 hours apart. Afterwards I noticed the paint had a very hard shell type feel to it with incredible slickness. Much more so than other identical products. I was very pleased with the hard shell and slickness.

Wash/Prep
    · Ultima Waterless Wash+
    · Clayed with Meguiar’s blue Professional Clay and Last touch Detailer

Correction
    · Correction/Polish with 3401, White Hybrid Pad, and Menzerna SF4000 speed 5 and 6-8 passes
    · Polish residue removed with blue Cobra Miracle towels

Coating prep and Coating
    · Polish with 3401, black Hybrid Pad, and DP Coating prep Polish speed 4 and 6-8 passes
    · Polish residue removed with blue Cobra Miracle towels
    · Coated with DP Paint Coating

Miscellaneous
    · Door sills with V07
    · Wheels with V07
    · Exhaust washed and polished with P21s polishing soap
    · Pictures taken with Nikon D3200, hooded 18-55mm kit lens, and suppressed SB-700 speed light

There are a few RIDS here and there around the car that im not to worried about. I measured the paint on both BMW's and I averaged 3.8 mils on both cars. Im not concerned with these on a Touring Wagon.

Left the garage open while I was taking pictures and a blast of wind and dust later this is what happened to my garage. Stupid wind..... Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    So you used your DA to apply the DPPC instead of doing it by hand, why is this, just curious? Also, love the wheels on the 3 series sedan!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP Prep Polish/Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    So you used your DA to apply the DPPC instead of doing it by hand, why is this, just curious? Also, love the wheels on the 3 series sedan!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    I used the yellow applicator and gold MF to apply the DP Coating. Pictured above is the Prep Polish on a black Hybrid.

Thank you. I really love the wheels on my sedan. Did you see my thread on my Sedan?
    Review: BlackFire BlackICE... The wax you have been waiting for

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I haven't used mine yet. Getting daughter back in college and a car accident has held me up. I'll get around to using these products soon however.

I like the slickness report. This will be my first coating experience.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up! Beautiful estate wagon. Excellent camera work! Safe travels in Germany!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice review, car looks fantastic! I had practically the same experience with DPPC. Love the slickness and the glass like shell look. The flashing is indeed very fast; faster than OC, Gtechniq, or Cquart.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to purchase the coating, is the prep polish a required step or will any polish do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    I plan to purchase the coating, is the prep polish a required step or will any polish do?
    It's necessary to have a clean paint surface, free of any waxes or polishing oils so the coating will adhere correctly. DP Prep Polish does this. So I would consider it a necessary step unless you already have a 'paint cleaner' polish from another supplier.

Nice writeup smack, I'm waiting for some longevity reports about this coating before trying it out, so I look forward to hearing about it more. It LOOKS amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review & how to also , thanx for sharing mate !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    Not required. An IPA wiped own or a product like Eraser would do just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast