autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - Quick Review

I'm new to coatings, this is the first one I've tried.

For a perspective, I did this to a 2 year old vehicle with a well maintained finish, and virtually no swirls marks.

Basic Process:
    Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss @ 1 oz / gallon (or more) for wash to strip previous sealant/wax.
    Nanoskin fine grade mitt using nanoskin glide lube at 10/1(not a fan of their glide lube, but the mitt is a great alternative to clay).
    M205 on hood, before realizing it was unnecessary.
    PBL surface Cleansing Polish, applied with a black LC flat pad, Flex PE-14.
    PBL Diamond Paint Coating, using Lake Country coating applicator & car pro suede microfiber applicator.

Pros: PBL coating is super easy to use, even for a rookie. Looks great. Super slick, similar to WGDGPS.

Cons: PBL cleansing polish is a pain in the butt using a rotary, dries really fast, reducing speed to 2.5 helps. Easy to work with by hand however, which leads me to believe its probably better suited to a DA at moderate speeds. I stuck with the rotary, rather than grabbing the DA.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - Quick Review-imageuploadedbyagonline1392517693-620910-jpg
    Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - Quick Review-imageuploadedbyagonline1392517708-536704-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - Quick Review

Great review!

I've been using PBL Surface Coating for a while, if you take a look at my threads there may be 2 or 3 coatings applications following ~the line you've chose, W&G, clay mitt, however I do use the Mitt with soap for lube.

PBL Cleansing polish is somewhat tricky, you should treat it like a 'cleansing lotion' more then a 'polish'. Spread it and wipe off.

Avoid hitting the trim while applying by machine, I'm yet to know a product that will remove the marks it can leave on trim if accidentally hit. Better to tape, apply by hand or be veeery careful if using by machine. I apply with DA, indeed.

More than the 'beauty' of the coating applied, you'll like the easiness that washing will turn from now on.

I'm maintaing my coated DD for months with ~10 in 10 days foam and rinse then dry, but I'm drying with a spray wax. Car looks like recently coated every wash.

Also, I've managed to apply some 'toppers', like Souveran wax, some Meg's wax and some sealants, apart from toppers having slightly less durability (seems to 'wash away' faster than when bound to PAINT instead of coating), adding a top always increase beauty and makes protection 'interesting' during some weeks or months.

Hope you enjoy your recently coated vehicle. I like mine very much.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to add

I kinda prefer the car pro suede microfiber close over the LC applicator. The LC applicator is a little awkward with a small amount of pressure, inadvertent or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time and effort in posting this
    PBL-Paint Coating review!

The vehicle really does look slick...and reflective.
    And your puppy dog seems to approve.

BTW:
    This is the first review I know of where a rotary was used in the application of the PBL-Surface Cleansing Polish.
    I appreciate your sharing the eccentricities in doing so.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

IME with the PBL cleansing polish, it seemed easier to remove when I applied with a polishing pad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and effort in posting this
    PBL-Paint Coating review!

The vehicle really does look slick...and reflective.
    And your puppy dog seems to approve.

BTW:
    This is the first review I know of where a rotary was used in the application of the PBL-Surface Cleansing Polish.
    I appreciate your sharing the eccentricities in doing so.

Bob
    Honestly, I think M105 at high speeds on a rotary lasts longer. I'm no expert, but it wasn't user friendly for me and my techniques. Temps were moderate, approx 50-60 degrees.

Pup likes the rolling doghouse shiny, although she's not terribly particular about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great review!

I've been using PBL Surface Coating for a while, if you take a look at my threads there may be 2 or 3 coatings applications following ~the line you've chose, W&G, clay mitt, however I do use the Mitt with soap for lube.

PBL Cleansing polish is somewhat tricky, you should treat it like a 'cleansing lotion' more then a 'polish'. Spread it and wipe off.

Avoid hitting the trim while applying by machine, I'm yet to know a product that will remove the marks it can leave on trim if accidentally hit. Better to tape, apply by hand or be veeery careful if using by machine. I apply with DA, indeed.

More than the 'beauty' of the coating applied, you'll like the easiness that washing will turn from now on.

I'm maintaing my coated DD for months with ~10 in 10 days foam and rinse then dry, but I'm drying with a spray wax. Car looks like recently coated every wash.

Also, I've managed to apply some 'toppers', like Souveran wax, some Meg's wax and some sealants, apart from toppers having slightly less durability (seems to 'wash away' faster than when bound to PAINT instead of coating), adding a top always increase beauty and makes protection 'interesting' during some weeks or months.

Hope you enjoy your recently coated vehicle. I like mine very much.

Kind Regards.
    regarding staining exterior trim, thats with the Cleansing polish ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, at least in my experience with Cleansing Polish prior PBL Coating, if you hit the trim accidentally with polishing pad and Cleansing Polish, odds are you'll have a hard time removing the stain.

I believe this happens because the polish 'drys' really fast when in contact with trim, or become absorbed, it's true PITH (in the head) to remove.

Again, please, if someone find a good way to clean this stains, please, inform me.

I'll keep the same care, but will stop struggling to remove it's marks.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Yep, at least in my experience with Cleansing Polish prior PBL Coating, if you hit the trim accidentally with polishing pad and Cleansing Polish, odds are you'll have a hard time removing the stain.

I believe this happens because the polish 'drys' really fast when in contact with trim, or become absorbed, it's true PITH (in the head) to remove.

Again, please, if someone find a good way to clean this stains, please, inform me.

I'll keep the same care, but will stop struggling to remove it's marks.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.
    well, thank you. I will be aware to avoid trim next time. Luckily my car has zero unpainted plastic or rubber trim besides on the rear valance.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, you better take care.

Unfortunately, I've learned this the worst way...

Count on me if needed,

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast