autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Meguiar's D115 Rinsefree Express Wash and Wax

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    On AG description for rinseless is "simply add a couple ounces to a 5 gallon wash bucket, soak a wash mitt or Microfiber towel, and wash the vehicle one section at a time"

Now I really appreciate the review you did on d115 and it's because of it that I use it at a different dilution (8:1) But I haven't read or heard of anywhere saying rinseless needs 32oz of concentrate to a gallon of water.
    Hi fly07sti,

Here's where I got that info from:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    While not identical to UWWA, D115 is quite close. Our recommendation for use is to dilute 4:1 and use as a waterless wash, but it's also great to pour 4 gallons of water into a bucket, then essentially pour the entire gallon of D115 into that same bucket for 5 gallons of rinseless wash solution. Now, for the average guy taking care of a couple cars at home that may not be the best way to go, but for a mobile guy who doesn't want to carry around large volumes of water it's great. You can clean an awful lot of cars with 5 gallons of rinseless wash, as long as you're not putting a dirty towel back into the bucket. Think about the process that Garry Dean came up with, but instead of piling the towels into the bucket you just soak the towels as needed. Besides, a stack of towels would displace too much water and you couldn't fit them and 5 gallons of solution in the same 5 gallon bucket. With a gamma seal on the bucket you'd have enough wash water on hand for literally dozens of cars. From personal experience, using just a couple gallons of wash solution in a gamma sealed bucket at home, I've managed close to a dozen washes. If you're not dealing with seriously dirty cars, or you're in a high humidity environment, you could easily cut that dilution ratio to 8:1.

But whether you prefer a rinseless or waterless wash, D115 will do the job.
    Source:
    Mid-Year Introduction - D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax See post #9.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, great review, including the photos. I've always used UWW+ as my waterless wash, and planning to get Pinnacle soon since I'm almost out again. But after this review, I might throw in D115 to try.

But as in other D115 threads, there is confusion on the dilution ratios. Everyone agrees it's 1:4 for a waterless wash. It's when the idea of using it as a rinseless wash that confusing info comes out. For example, isn't 32oz to a gallon for a rinseless the same as 1:3 ratio, which is a stronger mix than 1:4? As well, the Michael Stoops post recommends pouring 1 gal of D115 to 4 gal of water for a rinseless wash. He actually recommends dunking the towel into the solution which confirms he is really talking about a rinseless method. But that ratio is EXACTLY 1:4, same as the recommended waterless ratio. What's the difference?

And I don't know about you but I can't clean "an awful lot of cars with 5 gallons of rinseless wash" like Stoops says above. Most is probably 2 cars. D115 would be an awfully expensive rinseless wash!!!

In any case, thanks for the review. When my D115 arrives, I for one won't be using it as a rinseless!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marc. It can be very confusing. I can only speculate that it would work fine at a much lower dilution, just like the waterless, how it works just as well at 12:1 as it does at 4:1. Really only one way to find out. One of these days I'll give it shot on my wife's car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    First of all, great review, including the photos. I've always used UWW+ as my waterless wash, and planning to get Pinnacle soon since I'm almost out again. But after this review, I might throw in D115 to try.

But as in other D115 threads, there is confusion on the dilution ratios. Everyone agrees it's 1:4 for a waterless wash. It's when the idea of using it as a rinseless wash that confusing info comes out. For example, isn't 32oz to a gallon for a rinseless the same as 1:3 ratio, which is a stronger mix than 1:4? As well, the Michael Stoops post recommends pouring 1 gal of D115 to 4 gal of water for a rinseless wash. He actually recommends dunking the towel into the solution which confirms he is really talking about a rinseless method. But that ratio is EXACTLY 1:4, same as the recommended waterless ratio. What's the difference?

And I don't know about you but I can't clean "an awful lot of cars with 5 gallons of rinseless wash" like Stoops says above. Most is probably 2 cars. D115 would be an awfully expensive rinseless wash!!!

In any case, thanks for the review. When my D115 arrives, I for one won't be using it as a rinseless!
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

32oz of D115 to a gallon (128oz) of water is still 1:4, not 1:3.

I totally agree. In fact, that's what I said in the MOL thread - that this will be a very expensive rinse less wash. IMO, D115 should be used as a waterless wash and one should use D114 as a rinse less wash.

I also agree with you that I won't be able to wash a whole lot of cars with a 5 gallon solution. It still makes more economical sense to use D114 which has a 1:256 dilution ratio as opposed to the 1:4 of D115 as a rinse less wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marc. It can be very confusing. I can only speculate that it would work fine at a much lower dilution, just like the waterless, how it works just as well at 12:1 as it does at 4:1. Really only one way to find out. One of these days I'll give it shot on my wife's car.
    I'm not sure if you read it in my OP but I prefer to use my D115 at approximately 1:12 ratio and been using it that way since then. I'm loving the results!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    32oz of D115 to a gallon (128oz) of water is still 1:4, not 1:3.
    Now that I've re-read it, I misread the original statement ("if you want to use 1 gallon of water, you need to use 1/4 of your concentrate".) I thought you meant 1 gallon was the total mixture, which would make it 1:3 ratio. I sit here corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    I'm not sure if you read it in my OP but I prefer to use my D115 at approximately 1:12 ratio and been using it that way since then. I'm loving the results!!!
    I did read it, hence I put 12:1. Maybe I should've put 1:12. I am currently using mine at 1:8 and I'm diggin it.

Post Thanks / Like

I did read it, hence I put 12:1. Maybe I should've put 1:12. I am currently using mine at 1:8 and I'm diggin it.
    1:12 for rinseless or for waterless?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick72 View Post
    1:12 for rinseless or for waterless?
    I use 1:12 for waterless.

Post Thanks / Like

Used this at 1:4 as a waterless on my clean DD twice this week. Really looks amazing, slick as can be! Worth every penny and a real head turner on metallic silver.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast