autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

LSP Safe Wheel Cleaner

Hey all!

So recently I have been asked and seen the question popping around asking if wheel cleaners are LSP safe.

So to help answer this question I got one of my winter rims, applied some wheel sealant, then hit it with CG Diablo straight dilution and Sonax Full Effect. I know there are a ton of different wheel cleaners out there. I chose Diablo and Sonax because of there popularity, and the fact that Diablo is known as gentle, and Sonax is known as a stronger cleaner.

I am testing my two wheel LSPs. CG Wheel Guard and SV Autobahn. I understand there are more out there, and you can use normal wax and sealant on your rims, but I am choosing these ones.

To set up the rim. I washed it with CG Wash&Gloss, then wiped it down with Carpro Eraser before sealing. I broke it off into 4 sections. 2 sections (one for each LSP) for Sonax and 2 sections for diablo.

I applied both LSPs to manufacturer directions and let them cure for a few hours

Beading test. Spraying on pure water.

Autobahn

Wheel Guard

Blank control

Sonax

Now to get around the Diablo dilution, I put it on straight.

I let them both sit for around 10 mins before rinsing them off. Dried the rim, and liberally applied a few sprays of water.

Diablo After

Sonax After

Control

So to conclude, I will have to say that in this case both Wheel Guard and Autobahn withstood the Sonax and the Diablo in a sense. I noticed in the rinse phase, Autobahn was still sheeting off the water much on the Diablo side than the Sonax side.

I also noticed that the Sonax side had "looser" beading than the Diablo. This applies to both Wheel Guard and Autobahn. I also found that the Diablo side LSPs still had a slight slickness to them whereas the Sonax didn't after drying.

Now I believe after another 1-2 hits of Sonax, the LSP would be removed, and 4-6 hits of straight Diablo would take off the LSP. So to conclude, a well coated rim can be washed with a light dilution of Diablo without removing any LSP (heat and brake dust will be more harsh than Diablo). I personally use normal car wash soap in a foam cannon with an assortment of brushes on my rims. The sealant makes cleaning a breeze!

Thanks for reading and hope this answers some burning questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome write up. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Safe Wheel Cleaner

Nice write up Andrew.

This should help members knowing that wheel LSP's are pretty stout in their own right and can withstand normal washings even with a wheel cleaner.

Now if someone uses Meguiar's WB, that will be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the nice review.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice writeup. I have been wondering this for quite some time about LSPs prone to wheel cleaners or not.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome! I've always wondered if wheel coatings resisted wheel cleaners, thanks for the review
    Hi, Im Vin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Nice write up Andrew.

This should help members knowing that wheel LSP's are pretty stout in their own right and can withstand normal washings even with a wheel cleaner.

Now if someone uses Meguiar's WB, that will be a different story.
    LOL I have a slight itch to buy some. I recently changed my neighbours winter/summer wheels for him. Because most places will do it for free around here and he came to me, I offered to clean them for him. I wish I had some. They were in rough shape!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, i was looking for this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    I personally use normal car wash soap in a foam cannon with an assortment of brushes on my rims. The sealant makes cleaning a breeze!
    Thanks very nice write up! Those winter wheels look like you could easily fit an old wash mitt between the spokes to get at most of the barrel pretty quickly. After reading your Diablo vs Sonax review the gal size Diablo is on my short list
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    Thanks very nice write up! Those winter wheels look like you could easily fit an old wash mitt between the spokes to get at most of the barrel pretty quickly. After reading your Diablo vs Sonax review the gal size Diablo is on my short list
    Great to here man!

I actually use an old bone for mine. Works great. Can't reach the barrel but I am not hung up on it.

Diablo is amazing stuff. I heard some 4x4 guys out there will spray their entire truck down with it, let it dry. The go mudding for a few days. After they will simply pressure wash it all off super easy. No damage to the paint.