autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

Ah yes, WolfGang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 ...

Now before I start this review, I want to point out that when reviewing a product, you have to be as UNBIASED as possible in order to give the product a FAIR and EQUAL chance.

I decided to try this product out from a recommendation from a friend here. I figured, why not? If WGDGPS 3.0 will outperform my current sealant, then I am all for it.

Usually product reviews are singular in the sense that the product itself is reviewed. Im going to take it a step further and put it against Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Who do you think will win? The rave reviews and critics say "WGDGPS 3.0 Hands Down" "Easier to work with, and looks much better" Well, lets certainly hope so

The Product

WGDGPS 3.0 is yellow in color, with a slightly thick consistancy. Shaking it up well, it showed a rich creamy color. The smell wasnt too great, it gave off more of a chemical smell which threw me off. I figured it would smell nice, but none the less its all about how a product performs, not smells.
    I'll be using a sample I received in this test.

The Application

Its important to apply the product as it was designed, especially when putting two products head to head. Often times, I find users apply their favorite product taking more time and doing a mediocre job of applying the other product their testing.

Applying thin.
    That applies to any product, a lot of inexperienced users don't understand the concept of applying thin. Here's a perfect example, I only used 2 pea sized drops to cover HALF my hood with M21 by hand. I performed the same with WGDGPS. As you can see, you can get quite a few applications out of a small 2oz sample bottle. Not only does the concept of applying thin make removal easier, it maximizes the use of ANY size bottle, making you a more efficient detailer.

Laying down the goods

The entire hood was stripped of any remaining LSP & clayed. I applied M21 on the left section of my hood. WGDGPS on the right. The lighting in my garage isnt great so you can barely see M21 applied. Although as you can see, the WGDGPS was nicely laid down.

M21 is ready to buff off in approximately 10-15 minutes as per Meguiar's.

WGDGPS was set to dry for the recommended 30-45 minutes before buffing off.

The Results

The results are interesting to say the least. For a $39.99 Sealant, I expected to be blown away. I was not. WGDGPS buffed off just as easy as M21. Very little effort, no dusting. Both panels felt exactly the same when feeling for "slickness". Both looked EXACTLY the same. Can you tell the difference?

The human mind will believe whatever you want it to. I guess you can say I wanted WGDGPS to outshine M21, but no matter how hard I tried to find better looks from the right compared to the left, I did not. They both looked EXACTLY the same.

Another shot below

Tape taken off, as you can see there is no distinction.
    This shot below was after a couple days, enough time for the products to "cure".

The Verdict

How do you decide whats the better product when both of them have equal looks? Well, ill leave that for YOU to descide but take the chart I made bellow into consideration.

As you can tell by the graph, I knocked off WGDGPS on Price, Smell & Ease Of use. Let me elaborate on them:

Price: At $39.00 for a 16oz bottle compared to $19.99 for a 16 oz bottle of M21. WGDGPS 3.0 is TWICE the ammount of M21, yet looks the same on a well prepped swirl free finish.

Smell: It does not smell great, M21 has a slight hint of berrys. Not that big of a deal, but noted.

Ease Of Use: WGDGPS has to be allowed to sit for 30-45 minutes? Really? After I spent hours perfecting my paint, I don't want to wait 30-45 minutes to do a final wipe when I can be done in 10-15 minutes with M21 and have the exact same results.

Final Thoughts

I really had high hopes for this product. Many people on here are very Biased towards their favorite products. I can assure you, I gave this a fair shot in every way possible and quite frankly I was let down.

That's not to say this product isn't any good. Its GREAT, I would give it an edge over M21 only in the fact that it does NOT stain trim. M21 will stain trim however. Is it worth the $39.00 price tag? Nope. Would I recommend you buy it if it goes on BOGO? Absolutely. Both products claim a 4-6 month durability, but that will vary from user to user.

If your product line already includes Wolfgang Products then by all means stick with this sealant. With that being said, I would give a slight edge to M21 due to its cheaper price, better scent and faster wipe off. Temperature of application was 65 degrees.

Let me know what you guys think!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

Excellent review.

Post Thanks / Like

Very neutral and professional review of two fantastic products.

I will be honest, I was hoping WDGPS would have a better shine than M21 although by the pictures and your honest review they look the same.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review for us to determine which product to use based on our expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see what happens as time goes on. Change in appearance...actual durability...etc. Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to do a review. Let us know how the durability turns out.

One of the benefits to Wolfgang is that if you play your cards right you never have to buy it. I'll take free any day. Just make a $50 purchase every 6 months and request a Free Sample.

The 12 hour cure time for Wolfgang sucks! I always have to wait until the next day to put on a topper.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. I enjoy seeing your work.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review.

This is probably the best review I have ever read in years - unbiased head to head comparison.
    M21 is a very nice sealant, so does WG DGPS. Both have their supporters.
    I found that WG DGPS is easy to have water spots you might want to look at that!
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great effort! I have both products but always go for M21 just for the fact I know what to expect. I plan on trying the Wolfgang sealant the next time I can prep properly. I'm looking foward to seeing it in action on my BLACK Toyota. It's gonna have to be pretty impressive to pull me away from Meg's though.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting review, a lot of people rave about that meg's sealant, I mean all meg's products are quality from their pro line, m7 kicks ass (one of the few I own)
    however the place I can see wgdgps outshining the meg's sealant (I thought appearance would favor wgdgps as well) is durability, will you be testing that as well? because that is the crucial factor imo when working with sealants, imo the reason you use sealants is because you want the best durability, if you truly want the best looks you should be turning to a quality nuba wax -> granted sealants have come incredibly far in looks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast