autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coast HP 550 Focusing LED Light and the Hippo

I don't use cash too often. I pretty much pay for everything with a debit card. One of the main reasons why is because I hate carrying around the change you get back when making a purchase. Walking around with a pocket full of dimes and pennies is not for me. When I rarely do use cash, and have actual coins, I place the coins at the days end in this Hippo coin bank I bought at South of the Border for $1.75 many years ago

The Hippo sitting on a place nobody ever has sat before or will again - on the hood of my BMW on a CarPro BOA towel:

The one good thing is, when the Hippo is full with change, I go to the bank to cash it in. This can net me anywhere between $40 to $120, depending on how long I hold out.

Today I was ready to cash in the Hippo. So, I took him to the bank, emptied him into the coin counter, and received back a total of $52.12 ($47.96 after paying the counting fee). This money was MINE to buy something I normally wouldn't spend fifty bucks on.

Hippo heading to the bank:

My earnings from the teller:

I've had my eye on the Coast HP 550 LED flashlight at Costco for a while. It was $50, which is a bit much for me to pay for a flashlight for general use, especially when I already own a Brinkmann Tuff Max Dual LED. However, the rating on the Coast light is 1,000 lumens, which is one of the highest rated flashlights I've ever seen (in lumens). Just for comparison, 1 lumen equals one birthday candle viewed from one foot away from you.

I'm not a flashlight expert, in fact, I know little to nothing about them. But, when I turned this thing on in the store I could tell it was the brightest flashlight I've ever scene and I knew I had to have it. When I checked out Coast's website I found out the have been around making quality flashlights for almost 100 years.

So, I got my $47.96 and headed to Costco to buy this light. The price in the aisle read $48.99. For some reason when they scanned me out at the cash register they only charged me $29.97 + tax. I don't know why and I didn't ask questions. I guess it was on sale or I was eligible for some kind of discount. This flashlight was looking better every minute!

Just for comparison, I Googled this exact flashlight and saw it on Amazon for $72 and on Ebay for as high as $90. So, this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I currently own a Brinkmann Tuff Max Dual LED light. A comparison:

Brinkmann Tuff Max Dual LED:
    - 300 lumen dual LED light
    - takes 6 AA batteries
    - has a beam distance of 320 meters
    - a plastic housing
    - a claimed run time of 5 hours
    - 1 year warranty

Coast HP 550:

- 1000 lumen dual output LED focusing beam light
    - takes 9 AA batteries
    - has a beam distance of 325 meters
    - an aluminum housing
    - a claimed run time of 2.5 hours.
    - LIFETIME warranty

The flashlight:

One unique feature the Coast light has is it's "focusing light". This is the ability to change the light pattern from a concentrated narrow beam (spot light), to a wider more dispersed beam (flood light). This is the easiest way to explain it:

This feature enables you to focus the light based on what you are looking at.

Wide / Flood patten:

Narrow / Spot pattern:

(both in garage in the dark)

This adjustment is really nice, as it allows you to focus the flashlight on the surface (panel) depending on the conditions, distance, or paint color you are working with. It's hard to actually catch the focus on camera, but it does work. The adjustment is easily achieved by sliding (not twisting) the head of the light back and forth. It's sort of like the flashlight telescopes or "collapses" into itself about an inch or so:

Extended:

Collapsed:

I did some comparisons with this light and my Brinkmann. Both have 2 settings: high and low output. For the purposes of comparison, I'll always be comparing "high" output for both. The Coast has an "SOS" feature, where it will blink "SOS" with 3 clicks of the button. Since I don't plan on getting lost at sea anytime soon while carrying my paint defect locating flashlight, this feature is useless to me. First off, let me say, both lights have their place and their advantages.

This is how I see it:

Brinkmann Tuff Max Dual LED advantages:
    - MSRP is less money
    - takes less batteries
    - batteries last longer
    - has 2 pivotable LED lights
    - has handy "gun" ergonomics
    - lighter weight

Coast HP 550 LED advantages:
    - extremely bright light
    - focusable light with SOS pattern
    - lifetime warranty
    - water "resistant"
    - quality seems much higher, case is aluminum.

This last thing is really important to me. My Brinkmann broke a few months after me purchasing it. Even though it was under warranty, I didn't want to be without a light. So, I took it apart and fixed an open circuit I found in the wiring:

Shortly after that the battery case broke one day when I was changing the batteries. Now, the case cover has to be held on with Velcro and zip ties

I'm not saying the Brinkmann is a poorly made product. I am saying that it's a plastic flashlight and if dropped once or twice and banged around, it's inevitable that something plastic will break eventually. I'm not the first person to bring this up. However, if your able to be more careful with it then me, it should last quite a while. I'm just prone to drop everything eventually, that's why I only use an OtterBox Case for my IPhone 5.

I did some more comparisons in my dark garage. The door was closed and the only light on was the small light in the automatic garage door opener,
    which is fairly dim.

Brinkmann on "bright" held back from panel:

Brinkmann light on "bright" held close to panel:

Coast on "bright" held back from panel:

Coast all the way on "spot" pattern held close to panel:

Coast on "flood" pattern held close to panel:

Brinkmann pointed at garage door on "bright" in the "dark":

Coast pointed at garage door on "bright" in the "dark" on "flood" setting:

This next set of pictures really highlight the difference. These were taken in 100% complete darkness. I was trying to focus on the "M" emblem on my front fender:

Brinkmann:

Coast:

So, basically, for $50 I would be impressed with this Coast light. For $30, I'm absolutely thrilled with it. As a comparison, a SureFire PX2 Fury, is a 500 lumen dual output LED aluminum cased light. It also is a pretty high quality flashlight, but it costs $155.00. From what I understand, SureFire is almost considered the "industry standard" for high performance flashlights. It also has a lifetime warranty. So, I think the Coast light is a steal at $50 or $30.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coast HP 550 Focusing LED Light and the Hippo

I think that hungry hippo made a nice purchase!

I bought the Coast adjustable headlamp and really like it. This design incorporates the following..

• Intensity is adjustable
    • Beam pattern is adjustable
    • Tilt adjustable

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's quite a find!!

It's amazing how a bank will charge their own customer $4.16 to dump your coins into a machine, wait ten seconds, and read the output...

Assuming that's how long it took, and say that machine worked a typical forty-hour week (I know that it doesn't, just go with it), that machine earns the bank:

$24.96 a minute
    $1,497.60 an hour
    $11,980.80 a day (8 hours)
    $59,904 a week
    $3,115,008 a year

If a bank is going to charge me to count coins, I expect to see them counting by hand... at $15 bucks an hour...

(Yes, I know this is an old thread...)

Post Thanks / Like

@ swanicyouth I know this is an old thread but how the light been working for you?