autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Up Close & Personal: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Um...no. This is a matter of contentious debate and I don't feel like wading into it. If you've got a black vehicle you have to be extra-careful, down to the towels you use, because you will see every flaw. There are hundreds if not thousands of users here that successfully and easily use waterless and rinseless washes without clay additives; I think it's worth it for you to try one of them.
    Will do, will be ordering some ONR W/W for my next wash!

Is there a link to somewhere where I can find one of these "debates"? I'm just wondering what the "pro side" argues that the clay in Waterless Washes is good for, and the con side as well (which I assume might have to do with being too "sticky" to where an inexperienced hand might find it causing more harm (swirling) than good).

Post Thanks / Like

Search on "dri wash" or "dry wash"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I ordered, and washed with this twice already. Using a Chenille MF Mitt, plush MF towels to dry/buff (buffing is VERY minimal, seems like it dries like water more-so than leaving thick wax residue, is this normal?), two bucket method (one of them with a grit-guard).

Absolutely LOVE IT! Everything I asked for.

My ONLY question is: How much does this actually "wax"? I ask because it leaves more of a "just soaped" feel on the paint (not as soft as wax) rather than a super soft "just waxed" feel. I was using a Waterless Wash before, which I found too intensive for simple washes (and it had Kaolin Clay which is difficult to buff and worried me that it would strip my coat of Sealant on the car), however it always made the car feel very soft and "waxed".

I saw the owner of this great ONR product stated that if you use if for every wash, it would be sufficient protection for you to never have to wax the car separately. I like that concept because I was used to it by the W/W and want to continue it. I'm just a curious as to how much that holds with the ONR Wash/Wax since I just don't "feel" the wax after I apply it, on the paint.

For my 5 gallon bucket, I use 2.5 ounces of product (what is recommended with maybe a touch extra).

Also, can somebody confirm that the bottle cap is one full ounce? I use that as my measurement.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but no wash n' wax product is going to leave a "thick wax residue" like if you applied a paste or liquid wax.

Regular ONR is going to leave a slick, glossy, finish. ONRWW is ONR meets OCW, which I interpret mostly to mean it has OCW's patented UV absorbtion package. I doubt it is going to leave as much protection as OCW (and I think Chris@Optimum says as much if you scroll back in the thread).

As far as the cap, what size do you have? I don't think the bottle cap is really intended as a precision measuring device. Don't you have one of those little cough medicine cups? If not you can get measuring cups at any pharmacy store (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) or probably in the supermarket. Or a measuring spoon, a tablespoon is half an ounce.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but no wash n' wax product is going to leave a "thick wax residue" like if you applied a paste or liquid wax.

Regular ONR is going to leave a slick, glossy, finish. ONRWW is ONR meets OCW, which I interpret mostly to mean it has OCW's patented UV absorbtion package. I doubt it is going to leave as much protection as OCW (and I think Chris@Optimum says as much if you scroll back in the thread).

As far as the cap, what size do you have? I don't think the bottle cap is really intended as a precision measuring device. Don't you have one of those little cough medicine cups? If not you can get measuring cups at any pharmacy store (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) or probably in the supermarket. Or a measuring spoon, a tablespoon is half an ounce.
    Interesting, thanks. I do remember him saying that it should be sufficient if used EVERY time (adding up wax I guess), but I'll go back and check. The Waterless Wash I used before did indeed leave a very "slippery" surface, though that product was too intense/difficult for every wash's use.

I have the 32oz bottle. I wonder if my measurements are all off since the cap isn't what I thought it was (1 oz?). I did it like that because I looked up some videos and they said or used it like that as well, i.e 1 cap for every ounce.

I wonder if anyone has a definite on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevA View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I do remember him saying that it should be sufficient if used EVERY time (adding up wax I guess), but I'll go back and check. The Waterless Wash I used before did indeed leave a very "slippery" surface, though that product was too intense/difficult for every wash's use.

I have the 32oz bottle. I wonder if my measurements are all off since the cap isn't what I thought it was (1 oz?). I did it like that because I looked up some videos and they said or used it like that as well, i.e 1 cap for every ounce.

EDIT: From what I measure, the cap from the 32oz bottle holds 1/2 oz.

I wonder if anyone has a definite on that?
    I'll measure the cap, stand by. As far as "building up" I think it's more like if you use it every wash, you are replenishing the protection at each wash. I think you worry too much. If you live somewhere where you can wash 9 mos. out of the year, and can use some real OCW before winter, I think you could do a lot worse than that regimen.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll measure the cap, stand by. As far as "building up" I think it's more like if you use it every wash, you are replenishing the protection at each wash. I think you worry too much. If you live somewhere where you can wash 9 mos. out of the year, and can use some real OCW before winter, I think you could do a lot worse than that regimen.
    I'd appreciate if you could. Now wondering if my measurements have been off due to using the "bottle cap method".

I definitely do worry to much with this car, lol. My first Jet Black car, driving me nuts, but getting the hang of it.

Really love this stuff though, even taking into consideration my curiosity as to why it doesn't feel as "slick" as a true Wax or WW did. Only thing I like from the Waterless Wash better, naturally was the lack of water spots drying up. Not happy to see them back. Other than that, I find this Rinseless method easier and safer. I just hope my Menzerna Polymer Sealant wasn't stripped off at all by the Kaolin Clay Waterless Wash I used before.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I thought I edited my post. I measured the cap of the 32 oz ONRWW bottle at 1/2 oz.

You shouldn't be getting water spots if you're doing an ONR correctly. You should be drying each panel after you wash it, unless you're in direct sun on a hot day, you should be able to towel it before anything dries.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I thought I edited my post. I measured the cap of the 32 oz ONRWW bottle at 1/2 oz.

You shouldn't be getting water spots if you're doing an ONR correctly. You should be drying each panel after you wash it, unless you're in direct sun on a hot day, you should be able to towel it before anything dries.
    Ahh, damn so I'm using too little product.

So it's half an ounce huh. I guess that makes it easy, just have to double my amount used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Food View Post
    Would the wax in this ONRWW be as effective, strong and last as long as the dedicated spray OCW (ie: using regular ONRWS + OCW)?

Maybe possible...as the spray OCW is only used very sparingly in mists

No
    Back to the full-time grind.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast