autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detailer's 8 Gallon 2.5 HP Wet/Dry Auto Detailing Vacuum Review....

For some time now I’ve been thinking about replacing my very old, 25 years, Craftsman 6.5hp 16 gallon wet / dry shop vacuum. It still works but it’s heavy, very noisy, takes up a lot of room, is 6 1/2hp, and isn’t very portable.

With the list of dislikes above, I started looking around for a new vacuum that addressed these issues but having to give up the strong suction of my larger vacuum wasn’t an option.

In life, timing is very much a component and who comes out with a vacuum that caught my eye; Autogeek with their new Detailer's 8 Gallon 2.5 HP Wet/Dry Auto Detailing Vacuum.

When I read the vacuums description, it appears that Autogeek teamed up with the folks at Shop Vac and worked out the functional specification for a new vacuum tailored for detailing.

Detailer’s Pro Shop Vac Information

• Motor – 2.5hp
    • Tank – 8.0 Gallon
    • Cord Length - 35 Feet
    • Crevice Tool
    • Claw Tool
    • Soft Tool for dashes and other delicate areas
    • Operation Sound Level - Super Quiet
    • Hose Size - 1.5" Diameter X 12' Long
    • Warranty: 1 Year
    • Tank Drain
    • Lock-on Hose
    • Onboard Accessory Storage
    • Color – Yellow & Black

Performance Information

• Air Flow: 185 (CFM)
    • Sealed Pressure: 90 (inches)
    • Electrical Ratings: 120V 60Hz 9.7Amps
    • Peak Air Watts: 375

Comparison

Side by side my new Detailer’s 8 gallon vacuum next to my old reliable Craftsman Wet/Dry vacuum, and as you can see there’s an amazing difference between the two.

Side by Side

Top View

Angle View

Packaging & Shipping

The vacuum was well packaged, something I can always count on from Autogeek. Once I removed everything, assembly was easy and very straight forward.

The vacuum is made of a very heavy plastic. The tool caddy is large enough to hold the tools that come with the vacuum but there’s plenty of room for extras.

The tank separates easily by unlatching the 3 clips that hold it securely to the motor housing. Inside the tank were casters, caster supports, screws, and a vacuum brush.

Directional Nozzle

Instead of directing dirt, debris, and water directly into the filter, this design deflects everything to the side allowing it to drop harmlessly into the tank.

Assembling

Assembling the vacuum was extremely easy. First, I mounted and secured the tool caddy. This is accomplished by aligning the molded pins with the corresponding holes and slide it into place.

The same goes for the two front casters

Don’t forget the hold down screws. These are important otherwise it’s possible for the caster assemblies to slide off if the unit is lifted.

Flexible Hose

The 12 foot hose attaches easily. Slip the hose fitting in the vacuum port and secure it by tightening the retaining ring. I like this design as it’s easily removable for storage and cleaning.

The heart of the vacuum…

The Detailer's Pro vacuum comes with the wet/dry filter already mounted. Also included are two paper style bags. These are used for dry work only; no water should be used when using this option otherwise you’ll have a mess on your hands. An important note; when using the dry bags the blue wet/dry filter MUST be removed and properly stored.

Removing the Wet/Dry Filter

Holding the filter securely in place is a heavy plastic retaining cap. Rotate this in the direction indicated approximately 90° then pull straight out. Grasp the filter and pull outward in order to remove.

Tank Full Safety

If you’re like me, while working I occasionally get tunnel vision. If I was cleaning up a large spill I could easily and unknowingly over fill the tank and ultimately damage my new vacuum but the folks at Shop Vac already thought of that.

Inside the filter mount they use a plastic ball. This ball simply floats on the surface of the liquid and if the tank becomes too full it shuts off the vacuum preventing damage.

Tank Drain

Draining the tank couldn’t be easier. Loosen and remove the heavy plastic cap drain any liquids from the tank.

Ready for Action

In less than 30 minutes I had everything assembled. Something I think you’ll enjoy is the 35 foot long electrical cord. For 25 years part of vacuuming was locating an extension cord as the one that came with the old Craftsman was only 8 feet long. While this may sound miniscule I can’t even count the number of times I spent 10 minutes or more searching for one heavy enough to operate the vacuum.

Without videos it's somewhat difficult to convey the actual power and performance of this vacuum but the before and after photos tell the tale.

Before

After

Before

After

Conclusions

Noise – This little titan has more suction that my old 6 1/2hp Craftsman. It easily outperforms it in every respect and does it so quietly you can have a conversation standing next to it using your normal voice!

The Detailer's 8 Gallon vacuum does it all in a compact, easy to carry size. The design and manufacture is well executed and something tells me there was some brainstorming done by the folks at Autogeek. Functional specs are important; this is how your requirements are met by the manufacturer in order to satisfy their customer.

There’s nothing about this vacuum I didn’t like. It’s has a tremendous amount of suction for deep cleaning those carpets and floor mats. The crevice tool allows me to get into those tight areas to get the job done right. A 35 foot electrical cord means no more searching. You can literally reach every corner of your garage without changing outlets.

The new Detailer's 8 Gallon 2.5 HP Wet/Dry Auto Detailing Vacuum is a detailer's dream come true. Design, quality, portability, and performance are all available from the folks who wrote the book on detailing; Autogeek!

I hope you find my review enjoyable and informative…

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailer's 8 Gallon 2.5 HP Wet/Dry Auto Detailing Vacuum

Very nice review, thank you for taking the time to break it down for all of us. Glad it performed to your expectations!

Post Thanks / Like

The wood boards on your deck seem to be butted up to each other? Most ppl leave a gap, but I like the way you did it better

Nice review on the Shop Vac! 2.5hp will be plenty powerfull enough for what you'll need
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Dang, that's how to write a review with compare and contrast and great photography.

Post Thanks / Like

That will be my next vac when my Ridgid dies. Best thing from them is they sell a car kit for their vacuums. About $30 and it comes with a great crevice tool that is covered in rubber and its bendable. Great for getting under and between seats. I bet it would work with any vacuum, worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
    That will be my next vac when my Ridgid dies. Best thing from them is they sell a car kit for their vacuums. About $30 and it comes with a great crevice tool that is covered in rubber and its bendable. Great for getting under and between seats. I bet it would work with any vacuum, worth a look.
    Most of these accessories are made to a standard size and I'm willing to bet this is the case.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The wood boards on your deck seem to be butted up to each other? Most ppl leave a gap, but I like the way you did it better
    The gap is used as expansion joints. So the deck doesnt creak and warp in the sun. wood expands a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the pic and review, I was looking into this vacuum and you helped make my decision easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know what the water lift rating is. A typical 5 up vac is around 80" while my extractor is about 130". I have the Ridged vac that looks like a tool box. I think they quit making them for some reason but I love that thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    I would like to know what the water lift rating is. A typical 5 up vac is around 80" while my extractor is about 130". I have the Ridged vac that looks like a tool box. I think they quit making them for some reason but I love that thing.
    If you go to the top of this review, look at performance specs, you will see it's 90".

Great review bobby, the pictures are awesome! The quiet part with great performance are appealing to me!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast