autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier Review and Testing

Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier Review and Testing

We were recently blessed with great new 2012 products and I'm sure everyone is excited to try them out. I decided to review and test one of them - behold the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier. This product has intrigued me a lot and I'm curious as to whether this product works or not. Here's what the product looks like:

Product Claims:

• Makes your wheels easier to clean!
    • Outlasts other wheel protector products
    • Safe for all wheels - even chrome

Product Description:
    We all love clean wheels, but wouldn't it be nice to have them without the work? Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier uses advanced technology to provide a barrier between dirt and your rims.

Just spray a light coating to clean, dry wheels. you'll notice dirt & grime do not bond - so it'll take less time & work to clean your wheels. Plus, it lasts for weeks - so no need to re-apply every time you clean your wheels.

Directions:

1. Hold can 6 inches away and spray onto wheel until applied areas are lightly coated. Do not over-saturate.
    2. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes. Avoid wiping the surface while product is drying.

Tip: If excess product runs onto tire, wipe off immediately. Product can be removed with rubbing alcohol, if needed.

So onto the process. I started off with clean wheels as shown below:

I was only going to test this product on the front wheels, where the brake dust accumulation is mostly seen. In order to make sure that the product bonds as perfect as possible, I clayed the wheels first to ensure all bonded contaminants are removed.

The shot below shows the clay after 1 wheel. It wasn't so bad.

I think that Last Touch as some polymers or shining agents on it. To make sure that the surface is completely clean, I sprayed IPA to the wheel after claying and then wiped it off afterwards.

I first worked on the passenger side front wheel. What I did was to tape and cover the right half of the wheel. I used the manufacturer's symbol in the center cap as my point of reference. I applied the brake dust barrier on the left half of the wheel while the right half of the wheel is covered with tape and a newspaper sheet. I did this to ensure that the brake dust barrier wouldn't contaminate the right half of the wheel. Here are some pictures showing the process:

Only the left half of the wheel exposed:

Spraying the product on the wheel:

The instructions said to apply a thin coat to the wheels. I failed to do that because I was trying to ensure I have complete coverage. As a result of doing so, I had some spray running down on some parts of the wheel. Oh well. I hope I didn't compromise the effectiveness of the product.

On the right half of the passenger side front wheel, I compared the brake dust barrier to my preferred method of wheel protection: Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I applied cleaner wax on the right half of the wheel and buffed it off as shown below:

Here is the passenger side front wheel all done:

I'm going to be checking how this product stacks up against cleaner wax. Will it provide some protection to the wheel? Will it also last longer than the cleaner wax?

Now let's move on to the driver's side front wheel. I did the same process as the passnger side except that I didn't use anything on the right side. This wheel only has a coat of brake dust barrier on the left side while the right side is completely stripped down. Here are some pictures showing the process:

Only the left half of the wheel exposed:

Spraying the product on the wheel:

Here is the driver side front wheel all done:

For this side, the plan is to check how effective this product really is. Will it make cleaning wheels a lot easier? Will it really provide a barrier against brake dust?

I will provide timely updates and show you guys any difference in brake dust accumulation and whether or not it makes it easier to clean. By that I mean by hosing it down with water. Cleaning it with soapy water solution will make the wheels clean regardless if it's maintained properly.

I might not provide weekly updates because I drive 90-95% freeway and seldom brake. In any case, I will provide updates when I can show some difference.

Date of application: 2/19/2012
    Mileage: 39,545 miles
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Re: Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier Review and Testing

Nice review Marc.

I used this product yesterday on a set of clear coated rims after first cleaning really well. I have a little experience using rattle cans and here's a tip...

When spraying this product spray using short bursts of product, and apply, thin light coats. Allow the short bursts of product a few seconds to form together on the surface and inspect before spraying more product.

By using short bursts instead of simply taking your thumb or forefinger and pressing the nozzle down you'll get better results while reducing the chance for a run in the product.

Basically treat like you're using a can of spray paint to paint rims.

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparisons, I'll be interested to see how the different methods stack up!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the results. Just out of curiousity, how long does Megs Cleaner Wax last on the wheels for you? Megs Cleaner Wax has been a fav of mine bc of easy of use and a nice shine and glow but lacks durability so I usually top it with Collonite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    When spraying this product spray using short bursts of product, and apply, thin light coats. Allow the short bursts of product a few seconds to form together on the surface and inspect before spraying more product.

By using short bursts instead of simply taking your thumb or forefinger and pressing the nozzle down you'll get better results while reducing the chance for a run in the product.

I agree with Mike on that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Nice review Marc.

I used this product yesterday on a set of clear coated rims after first cleaning really well. I have a little experience using rattle cans and here's a tip...

WOW!!! Thanks for the kind words and advice Mike!! That is indeed a great tip. At least I have the proper knowledge on how to apply this product when I do all my wheels. I think that should help a lot and it just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by inyadreems View Post

Can't wait to see the results. Just out of curiousity, how long does Megs Cleaner Wax last on the wheels for you? Megs Cleaner Wax has been a fav of mine bc of easy of use and a nice shine and glow but lacks durability so I usually top it with Collonite.
    I can't wait to see the results myself LOL! My brake pads produce little dust and I drive mostly freeway so it might be a while before I see dust.

I'm sorry to say that I don't really keep track on how long the cleaner wax lasts on wheels. I would think it's only a short time because of the heat generated by the brakes. I'm not as anal about the wheels as I am with the paint so I just wax the wheels whenever I feel like it. I hope that this new hot rims brake dust barrier will change that.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review and comparison tests. Can't wait to see the results.

I'm hoping this works better than ArmorAll's version.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    I drive 90-95% freeway and seldom brake.
    Date of application: 2/19/2012
    Mileage: 39,545 miles
    -Thanks for your review, Marc. Nice to see some more Meg's products being reviewed.

-I agree with Mike P's spraying tip(s).

-Another spraying-application method, I've used at times (Ex: Car show events), for various aerosol products that helps sometimes with overspray:

I carefully spray a product (using Mike P's tips, for example) directly onto, and/or into the applicator(s)...Then apply.

-Yes...This 'spraying technique' may be what some would consider a "wasteful practice" of product. But a similar "wasteful practice", (which you included in your review, as follows: "If excess product runs onto tire, wipe off immediately. Product can be removed with rubbing alcohol, if needed"...Meg's wording), may occur when spraying a product directly onto the surfaces they are intended for...Just my observations.

Also I must add:

Enjoyed reading of your "braking habits"...Man after my own heart!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing the results.

I too currently use cleaner wax on the wheels and am interested to see if the Brake Dust Barrier works any better.

Post Thanks / Like
    My current wheel protection is 845. And it lasts a long time. I am excited to see how something designed for wheels works!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast