autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter Months Made Easy w/Snow Brum & Ice Master

I'm not fond of doing anything twice, let alone three times, or every season. As my father used to say when I was young, do it right the first time, or don't do at all. That saying also went the way with tools, too. He would always tell me to fork over the cash and get the right tool for the job, because in the long run you will spend just as much money on lesser quality tools while dealing with the aggravation of going back to the store nine times. Granted, I didn't buy many hand tools when I was twelve, but I did take his advice to heart when I was sixteen and I spent four hours trying to remove the inner tie rod ends on my 1989 Buick with a pipe wrench. After a quick phone call and a trip to the auto parts store, I was out $89 but I had me a fancy new inner tie rod end wrench set. After arriving back home, the inner tie rod end was removed in less than two minutes. I've been an avid believer of "doing it right the first time" since.

Every winter my mom used to run out and buy a new ice scraper. I once asked her when I was young why she bought a new one every year. Her response: "Because the one I bought last year broke." This was an ongoing trend for as long as I can remember. So when I started working for Autogeek and was introduced to a warehouse full of the good stuff, I took it upon myself to send a couple of our most popular snow tools up to Michigan for my mom to enjoy. I payed her a visit last week and deemed it the perfect opportunity to put these snow tools to the test.

This is what your typical Michigan daily driver looks like after sitting outside for a night in the winter months.

Below are your typical snow tools found at your local grocery or department store. They're relatively inexpensive and are designed to be disposable. Well, maybe they weren't intentionally designed to be thrown away, but with lack of quality, you can't expect much from them.

What you see below is what I classify as the good stuff, or as my mom would say: "The best gift you've ever given to me." On the left you see the Snow Brum Snow Removal Tool and on the right you see the Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper. Like the made-in-USA Craftsman tools that were handed down to me, these two snow removal tools will never see a trash can.

The Snow Brum Snow Removal Tool is constructed of a durable molded polyethylene foam head that has been lab tested to ensure it does not scratch paint. Unlike a broom or a cheap snow removal tool, the polyethylene foam head on the Snow Brum is non-abrasive and is resistant to freezing. The innovation doesn't stop there, as the foam head is attached to a powder coated telescoping handle that extends from 27" to 46" providing maximum reach. The Snow Brum has rightfully earned the reputation of being one of the best snow removal tools available over the last ten years, and for good reason.

The Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper is the Swiss army knife of snow tools. It features a handle constructed of tough polycarbonate wrapped with rubberized inserts to provide a non-slip grip, even when wearing thick gloves. What makes the Ice Master the Swiss army knife of snow tools are the brass blades that can be configured in four positions. The brass blades have the necessary bite to cut through ice and snow but each blade was deburred in the manufacturing process to remove any sharp edges that could potentially scratch the glass. The Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper wasn't developed in Florida, or California, or South Carolina, but rather Colorado, one of the harshest climates in the US for snow and ice. What the Flex XC3401 is to dual action polishers, the Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper is to snow tools.

It's important to clear the snow off your vehicle every morning because if you don't, all that snow will blow up in front of the windshield as you drive, affecting your visibility. With the width of the Snow Brum and the extendable handle, you can quickly and safely remove snow off any surface of your car or truck.

One of the innovating things about the Ice Scraper Multi-Blade Ice Scraper is the multi-blade set-up that can be configured in four different positions. The Ice Scraper Multi-Blade Ice Scraper can be configured for the following:

• Dual Blades Apart
    • Dual Blades Forward
    • Center Blade
    • Ice Breaking Teeth

To clear the ice off the windshield I first used the dual blades forward configuration. I found this to provide the most bite to break up the bulk of the ice.

In areas where the ice isn't as thick, I found the dual blades apart configuration to work well.

The center blade configuration is great for getting into tight spots, and the ice breaking teeth are designed to crack thicker ice.

You can also use the center blade configuration to release windshield wiper blades that are frozen to the glass.

50/50

Ice free!

In a matter of minutes, your vehicle can be ready for safe winter driving without compromising your paint's delicate finish, or putting scratches into the glass.

Having the right tool for the job can make the harsh winter months almost enjoyable. The Snow Brum Snow Removal Tool and the Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper are quintessential examples of quality and innovation. They feature the durable construction that is lacking in lesser quality snow tools and just like my inner tie rod end wrench set, they make the task at hand effortless. Work smart, and not hard, with the Snow Brum Snow Removal Tool and the Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper.

Ice Master Multi-Blade Ice Scraper

Snow Brum Snow Removal Tool

Post Thanks / Like

Re: snow

Oh I know you were praying for some snow on your vacation so you could get to try those out!!! Very nice review, you had to travel far to make that happen!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Months Made Easy w/Snow Brum & Ice Master

Very nice write up Nick! That sucks you left sunny Florida to cold and snowy Michigan, but its always good to see family.

I've been eyeing the snow brum for awhile now...I may pick it up soon
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: snow

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Oh I know you were praying for some snow on your vacation so you could get to try those out!!! Very nice review, you had to travel far to make that happen!
    Vacation?!?! I thought Max sent him up there specifically to do the review...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Nick. How about a SnoBrum giveaway. Megan. Hint! Hint !!

FYI. Those of us that endure the Northern Winters, this is a daily experience. If your vehicle is left outside at work. You clean it off in the morning and then prior to going home. It's nice to see the products demonstrated.

A couple of days ago, we just finished off a 60 car pile up that closed down I-75 for hours. To make matters worse this was at rush hour.

FYI (2). I also noticed that Nick, you had to borrow a pair of gloves ???
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great review Nick!!! Amazing write-up as usual!

I can't believe you're working on your vacation LOL!!! Great job!!! Max, when are you going to give this guy his own office?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

This winter has been awesome but there was the one time I went to my parent's house and when I came out, there was snow all over my car. I had to hover my brush and drove down the block spraying snow like a mother behind me.

This would have definitely come in handy then...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I have both of those lesser quality tools you posted. The bristles on the blue one are so stiff that I refused to use it and threw it away.

And the red ones handle broke off on the third use..

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I watched the Weather Channel with anticipation every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I've been eyeing the snow brum for awhile now...I may pick it up soon
    I would have no problem trusting the Snow Brum on your Acura's black paint.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike
    FYI (2). I also noticed that Nick, you had to borrow a pair of gloves ???
    That was the first time I've worn winter gloves in well over five years. Needless to say, I do not miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Wow great review Nick!!! Amazing write-up as usual!

I can't believe you're working on your vacation LOL!!! Great job!!! Max, when are you going to give this guy his own office?
    Hey I like the way you think Marc!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick that is one thing I never thought I would see in my lifetime. A picture of you and snow in the same picture 😄
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast