autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Product Reviews

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Dr Colorchip vs Langka

After living in Dallas (rock truck capital of the world) I had severe road rash. I decided to get both

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair

and

LANGKA Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit: Repair scratches on your car without a professional paint job! touch-up paint, scratch repair kit, chip repair,

I know but the

pics turned out terrible so you will just have to believe me.

The Dr Colorchip process is to cover the chips ( and you can be messy) with proprietary color matched paint, let dry for a few minutes, and wipe off extra paint with their paint removal liquid.

The Langka process is to use their paint prep solution to clean area, use OEM paint and cover the chips leaving blob but trying to minimize paint touch up paint over other paint. Let dry at least 2 hours and then use their paint removal cream (Blod eliminator) to remove the blob.

On comparison of the coverage of the paint chips (on close inspection), both covered the chips and the chips were a bit darker than the paint, but unnoticible from more than 3 feet.

The big difference is the ease of Dr. Colorchip. You can repair all the road rash in one setting in about 30 minutes with little elbow grease and great results. The Langka took a bit more work to remove, and the two hour + wait was a bit annoying. Also the Langka blob remover stinks to high heaven and I can't get the smell off my hands (I was an idiot and didn't wear gloves)

My recommendation is Dr. Colorchip based on the ease of use and equality of the repair. The AG price is about $20 difference, but you can get the basic product kit cheaper from the Dr. Colorchip website. The AG kit is the "Road Rash kit" and has twice the product. I cannot imagine needing all the paint in the road rash kit unless you're repainting the entire car.

Hope this is helpful in deciding on a product to use.

Jenn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Re: Dr Colorchip vs Langka

What are your thoughts; I chipped the hatch on my 2011 Equinox...see picture below. I didnt know how to make picture bigger so you will have to click on it...thanks!

What system do you think would work best?

thanks for your help

Fussman
Attached Thumbnails
dr-colorchip-vs-langka-p1010630.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FussMan View Post
What are your thoughts; I chipped the hatch on my 2011 Equinox...see picture below. I didnt know how to make picture bigger so you will have to click on it...thanks!

What system do you think would work best?

thanks for your help

Fussman
From the looks of that area and size of chip, the Lanka system would probably cover the best. The bigger chips are a bit more noticible with the Dr. Colorchip system. I think Dr. Colorchip is the "Go-To" for road rash and the Lanka system seems to do better with the larger chips.

Jenn
Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Did you use the Dr. Colorchip paint with the Langka system?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
Did you use the Dr. Colorchip paint with the Langka system?
No I used the Honda Steel Blue Metallic OEM paint that I ordered.

Jenn
Old 09-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

Thanks Jenn!

I've heard Dr. Colorchip is good for like a front bumper riddled with 'road rash.' Have yet to try it though. I regularly use the Langka blob eliminator & like it. It works best with an actual chip though vs a scrape or scratch IMO
Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Pro View Post
Thanks Jenn!

I've heard Dr. Colorchip is good for like a front bumper riddled with 'road rash.' Have yet to try it though. I regularly use the Langka blob eliminator & like it. It works best with an actual chip though vs a scrape or scratch IMO
I agree 100%. I've not used for a scrape or scratch.

The OEM paint seems to fill in a "divot" better than the "road rash." Most of mine was road rash so that is why I went with the Dr. Colorchip. I love how you can just smear the paint all over the affected area and have it repaired in 30 minutes. Totally saved me a repaint.

My husband watched me repair them and then opined that I needed a clearbra.

Too bad neither product will fix the areas where large rocks hit the plastic bumper and buckle it up. I also wish I could find a way to fix the divots in my headlights.

Jenn
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #8

My husband watched and then opined that I needed a clearbra.

Jenn[/QUOTE]

My bad..I could'nt help it! but its my wicked editing skills!

Fussman
Old 09-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

I didn't ask him to clarify if the clearbra was for me or the car. He may have meant both.

Jenn
Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #10

looks like langka would do a better job than colorchip. i have the colorchip and it gave me headaches. for $60+, definitely wasnt worth it. ill have to try langka.