autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

New Formula Optimum Compound & Polish Do Not Disappoint

Optimum Polymer Technologies, a car care company known for their breakthrough surface care products, was founded by Dr. David Ghodoussi, an organic chemist whose specialty is polymers and automotive paint formulations. Dr. David Ghodoussi is passionate about finding the latest in polymer technology to implement in every product that his company manufactures. Optimum Polymer Technologies manufactures products that are changing the way we look at car care. Some of these products include Opti-Coat 2.0, a clear resin permanent coating, and the Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound Spray, and No Rinse Wash & Shine, a product that revolutionized the way we wash our cars. With all these cutting edge products, Dr. David Ghodoussi appears to be the chemist that never sleeps. Continuous improvements are constantly being made to formulas to ensure they meet the ever-growing needs of the discriminating car care enthusiast.

I've personally spoken with Dr. David Ghodoussi on several occasions and he is truly passionate about developing and manufacturing what some consider the most versatile line of car care products available anywhere. When I talked to Dr. David Ghodoussi at Detail Fest in March I expressed how interested I was in his new formula polishes and I assured him that I would share my thoughts once I got my hands on them.

If I said I didn't have high expectations for the new formula Compound II and Polish II, I would be lying through my teeth. Dr. David Ghodoussi is known for taking a top performing product that everyone swears by, such as Power Clean and Metal Polish, and improving upon an already excellent formula. The new formula Compound II and Polish II are no exception in this trend of continuous improvement to an already outstanding line of car care products.

When I polish a car in the Autogeek Show Car Garage, I have the luxury of having every polisher that Autogeek sells at my disposal. You name it, and we have it. Just to brag a little, we have the DeWalt DWP849X, Flex PE14-2-150, Griot's Garage 6" Orbital, and the tried and true Porter Cable 7424xp just to name a few. The latter of which was the machine of choice for testing the new formula Optimum Compound II and Polish II.

As you can see below, the Porter Cable 7424xp along with the new formula Compound II and Polish II definitely had its work cut out for it.

Behold the power of the Brinkman Swirl Finder Light!

I was new to machine polishing until I started working at Autogeek. I quickly learned that it's worth spending a minute or two taping off emblems, trim, etc. This makes clean up much easier and doesn't create an eye sore the next day if you notice any compound or polish residue in the cracks of emblems and around trim. Novice or professional, we've all done it.

I started with the new formula Compound II, Porter Cable 7424xp and Lake Country 5.5" Orange Flat Light Cutting pad.

I primed the pad upon first use to ensure I had working product in it. This helps you avoid the chance of dry buffing.

Product spread out? Check. Porter Cable 7424xp set to speed 6? Check. No time to waste!

I noticed a couple things after the fourth section pass. The first is that the new formula Compound II has a long working time and virtually no dusting. It feels more like a polish than a compound. Things were definitely off to a great start.

See what I mean about the tape? Taping off trim and emblems allows you to work as close to the trim as possible, which means you're polishing as much paint as possible, without getting any compound or polish residue on the trim. Work smart, not hard.

Wiping the Compound II off the paint reminded me of wiping off Poli-Seal. The term I would use to describe the removal of Poli-Seal is effortless.

I used Menzerna Top Inspection to inspect my results. Menzerna Top Inspection removes polishing oils and residue that could potentially hide swirls and make the paint look corrected when in fact, not all of the defects have been removed.

It's as easy as spraying on and wiping off. I prefer this product to IPA because I find it much more user friendly and there is no mixing of chemicals involved.

After wiping off the Menzerna Top Inspection, I grabbed my Brinkman Swirl Finder light to inspect the results.

Next up was the new formula Polish II. Although the new formula Compound II left a pretty nice finish, the Polish II will further refine the surface and bring out maximum gloss.

Just like with the Compound II, I primed the pad first. The pad of choice for this step was a Lake Country 5.5" Flat White Polishing pad.

Product spread out? Check. Porter Cable 7424xp set to speed 4? Check. High expectations? Check.

Like the new formula Compound II, the new formula Polish II has a long working time and I experienced no dusting at all with this product.

After wiping off the polish and using Menzerna Top Inspection, I pulled the tape line off to inspect the results using a Brinkman Swirl Finder Light.

I think the 50/50 below speaks for itself. The new formula Optimum Polishes really perform.

Because I was on such a roll with the Optimum products, I went ahead and applied a coat of Optimum Car Wax. This unique formula provides excellent protection and couldn't possibly be easier to use. Spray on, lightly buff, and wipe off. You can wax an entire full-size truck or SUV in 10 minutes and have up to five months of protection. What more could you possibly ask for?

I pulled the Expedition out in the parking lot to admire the crisp, clear reflections that were made possible by the Porter Cable 7424xp and a chemist with a passion for developing some of the best car care products available.

Thumbs up to Dr. David Ghodoussi and the rest of the team over at Optimum Polymer Technologies.

Optimum Polymer Technologies

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Formula Optimum Compound & Polish Do Not Disappoint

Nice work as usual, Nick! Optimum is goooooooood stuff!
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing a great write up Nick , Dr G is awesome guy to speak too another reason I look forward to Detail Fest . His products just get better and better .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, great write up! I think you are right about Dr G never sleeping...he's a textbook "mad scientist", LOL. One thing I like about Optimum's line is that he will not bring a product to the lineup unless he can not only match top competitors, but also add something not seen with other lines. The no dusting and easy cleanup is a clear edge and like you mentioned about the speed of applying a UV protecting wax in 10 minutes is definitely advanced technology.

I've had a peek into upcoming products and they will not disappoint either.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang it, Nick. I have to stop reading your reviews. There's two more products I need to add to my list. Nice job, as usual. And I am becoming an Optimum fan, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Nick, great write up! I think you are right about Dr G never sleeping...he's a textbook "mad scientist", LOL. One thing I like about Optimum's line is that he will not bring a product to the lineup unless he can not only match top competitors, but also add something not seen with other lines. The no dusting and easy cleanup is a clear edge and like you mentioned about the speed of applying a UV protecting wax in 10 minutes is definitely advanced technology.

what are they?

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up as always Nick! You're always busy having fun!

How would you rate the cutting power of the compound when compared with M105 or D300?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post

Any idea if these new products will be out by Detail Fest?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    what are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Any idea if these new products will be out by Detail Fest?
    I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to tease...I will tell you more as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Which Menzerna product would the Compound II and Polish II compare to?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast