autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

TLC Auto Detail:Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Ultima Tire and Trim Guard

So I know a couple people have done reviews on this product, but I had some free time today, so I figured I would ad my thoughts. I think they are pretty much in line with what others have said, but it has my own little spin.

I will break this review/grudge match into three sections. First will be a very textured piece of trim that is almost white it's faded so badly. Then we have a cowl panel that has a very little texture to it, and is almost brand new. Finally we have a chrome grill, since both products say they can be used on chrome as well as trim. You might be wondering why I didn't do any testing on tires, but there was a storm quickly approaching and I didn't want to run out of time. If it clears up this weekend I will add some tire testing to this review. On to the review.

Here are the products, along with their applicators.

Product: Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG from here on)
    Price: $31.99 for 12oz
    Price per oz: $2.67

Product: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (ETS from here on)
    Price: $14.99 4oz /$24.99 8oz/$39.99 16oz (These are "Sale" prices at time of review)
    Price per oz: $3.75/$3.12/$2.50

First we have the rear trim panel on my wife's 2006 Ford Expolorer. Before I came along this vehicle was not well cared for, and most of the exterior trim is pretty faded, almost white like this piece. I broke this piece up into two section with a small control spot in the middle. Before the testing the panel was cleaned once with Optimum PowerClean, and then again with 50/50 IPA mix to make sure it was as clean as possible. For application a few drops were put on each applicator and it was worked into the trim. The ETS required a few more drops, but neither product required additional buffing after application. On to the pics...

This is just to show what product is used on what side.

Here is the piece of trim all clean. It's very faded, and full of scratches, thanks to our dog climbing in and out of the truck on a regular basis.
    Entire Piece Before

ETS Side Before

UTTG Side Before

These pictures are right after application. Both products go on looking very similar. they look very shiny at first, which I like because it's easy to tell where you have gotten full coverage. Obviously on a faded piece like this it's easy to tell where you have been, but on a well maintained piece of trim it would be harder to tell if it wasn't shiny to begin with.

Also the application is the first difference I noticed between these two products. While both require only a small amount of product, I found that the UTTG goes farther than the ETS. I needed several more drops of the ETS to get full coverage, while the UTTG only required 3 drops to get full coverage.

ETS Right After Application

UTTG Right After Application

Close up of ETS vs. Undressed trim

Close up of UTTG vs. Undressed Trim

50/50...or I guess 33/33/33...ETS vs. Undressed vs. UTTG

Now the top of the trim wasn't as faded since the sun can't hit it with the rear hatch closed. This is just to show what the two products look like compared to a better maintained piece of textured trim.

ETS only close up

UTTG only close up

ETS Macro

UTTG Macro

Here are some pictures of beading. Both look pretty identical. Beading doesn't really matter, well the size/look doesn't at least, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I LOVE looking at beading pictures...so here you go...

Final thoughts on faded, heavily textured trim. In some of the pictures (and when I was looking at it with my own eyes) the ETS seems like it might be SLIGHTLY darker. BUT remember I did have to use slightly more ETS to get full coverage, so that may have something to do with it. So while it does look a little darker on this faded trim, I don't think it's enough to say ETS "wins" this part. Now when it comes to the part of the trim that isn't faded as badly both products look identical to me. Since we don't know the durability of the ETS yet this means a clear winner cannot be declared. IF ETS proves it lasts as long or longer than UTTG then they would still be fairly identical products in my mind.

Next round we have the cowl of my Nissan Cube. It's been well cared for since it was new, so I can confidently call it "like new". Just like the last piece of trim, the cowl was cleaned once with Optimum PowerClean, and then again with 50/50 IPA to make sure it was perfectly clean. As far as application a few drop were put on each applicator and it was worked into the cowl. No further buffing was required to get a smooth finish. In this case it did NOT seem like more ETS was required to get total coverage.

This just shows what product goes on what side.

Both products applied to the cowl, with an undressed section in the middle.

Close up

Beading

Sorry, not as many pics on this since it was obvious a storm was headed my way quickly. But I think you can still get the point.

Now this trim has a slight amount of texture, but nowhere near as much as the trim on the Explorer. In this round I can clearly say that the UTTG left not only a darker finish, but also a slight shinier finish. I can't speak for everyone, but I like this look better on my trim. It's not greasy at all, but it is nice and dark, with just a hint of shine. Both products do dry to the touch however, so neither is greasy at all. I'm going to give this round to UTTG since I like the look better. Thats not to say the ETS looked bad, or I won't use it, but I do prefer the look of the UTTG here.
    Last edited by Flannigan; 07-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TLC Auto Detail:Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Ultima Tire and Trim Gaurd

The third and final round will be the chrome front grill on the Explorer. Before application it was cleaned with Optimum Powerclean and IPA, however it was also polished with Optimum Metal polish to bring it back some shine that it seemed to be lacking. For the application on the grill I used some small cotton makeup applicators since it was a smaller area. Only two drops of each product were used since I know from past experiences, at least with UTTG, thin is better on no porous materials. So both products were applied, let stand for about 15 minutes, and then lightly buffed off.

Here we see both product while they are curing on the chrome. ETS seemed greasier here, but that didn't seem to affect the application or the final buff. Both products came off very easily. But you can see that the ETS just has a greasy look to it before being buffed off.

ETS on the chrome before being buffed off.

UTTG on the chrome before being buffed off

Final pics of the grill. You can't tell a difference at all in the look, so only time will tell to see which product lasts longer.

And finally some more beading shots. Again, they look pretty much identical. both sides shed water very well, so I'm hoping water spotting won't be a big issue anymore on this grill. Again, only durability will say who wins this round.

Final thoughts

Both of these products are obviously quality products, we aren't dealing with Armor All or Turtle Wax here. That being said I think a lot of people will decide which product to use based on price, or just which company they like better. So I'm just going to list the few differences that I noticed while using both products.

-UTTG comes with it's own applicator. I'm sure some won't care, but I really enjoy using this applicator on trim, as long as the trim isn't too small. The applicator has a built in grip so it's hard, if not impossible to drop it while using the product. Also it can be cleaned and reused.
    -UTTG has amazing durability. Thats not to say that ETS doesn't, but we already KNOW the durability of UTTG, where the ETS has yet to be seen.
    -On heavily textured trim ETS required just slightly more product to get full coverage.

So thats about it I think. If you feel I missed something, or made any mistakes please let me know, and thanks for reading!!!
    Last edited by Flannigan; 07-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TLC Auto Detail:Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Ultima Tire and Trim Gaurd

Excellent comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dave! Awesome review!! Super high quality and cool borders around the pictures as well. I noticed the same thing about how it seems the UTTG goes further but I assumed it was because I found it slightly thicker and so it stayed on the face of the applicator.
    Thanks for taking the extra time to do such a quality review
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Dave. I am a UTTG fan too and I had to get the WG on VIP. You and my buddy Corey are right together on your impressions. Well Done!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Corey-like photos too! How much do we want to know about plastic?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Dave, best one for the product yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Excellent comparison.
    Thanks Nick! Thanks for getting me my order so fast, allowing me to do this review!
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Wow Dave! Awesome review!! Super high quality and cool borders around the pictures as well. I noticed the same thing about how it seems the UTTG goes further but I assumed it was because I found it slightly thicker and so it stayed on the face of the applicator.
    Thanks for taking the extra time to do such a quality review
    Thanks Corey, coming from the review master that means a lot!. I would guess that is the reason it goes further as well. Also I noticed the ETS has a tint to it, not a big deal, but it did stain the applicator I used. At least now I know which one to use every time with ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Excellent review Dave. I am a UTTG fan too and I had to get the WG on VIP. You and my buddy Corey are right together on your impressions. Well Done!
    Thank you very much Jim! I did seem to have the same conclusions that Corey did. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the product too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Nice review. Corey-like photos too! How much do we want to know about plastic?
    Thanks Al!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Great review Dave, best one for the product yet.
    Thanks Dwayne!!! Means a lot coming from you! PS, your sample is on the way

Post Thanks / Like

Very good. I just tried some ETS on my black mirrors. We shall see how it holds up. Seems to me like it may have a little cleaning ability also.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast